Grants:IEG/Editing Maithili Wikipedia
- 1 Project idea
- 2 Project goals
- 3 Project plan
- 4 Get involved
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
Since Maithili Wikipedia started, the growth is less than 10% so far in the number of editors. We should encourage the school and college students to get in to this so that they can become regular contributors to Wikipedia and Wikimedia Projects.
What is your solution?
We propose to aware and teach schools and college students about Maithili Wikipedia as well Wikimedia Projects. By setting up three classes in a schools (Grade 9 and 10 students) and colleges (10+2 Students) the students know about Wikipedia and it's importance. The initiative not only engaged users/contributors it will help us to make personal connection with Wikipedia Editing. An enthusiastic user group will make after the end of three classes in an school or colleges. We will filter user group according their interest so that they can participate in an online edit-a-thon after Phase-1.
- Create the awareness about Wikipedia and Wikimedia Projects, what it is, and the goals of the Wikimedia Foundation in building contents and other Wikimedia projects.
- Establish and consolidate the existence of the Wikimedian Community in Nepal.
- Increase participation on Wikimedia Projects and involvement in community projects.
- Promote the contribution of local contents in the various languages of Wikimedia Projects.
To give education about Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects 15 School and Colleges are targeted within Saptari district. There will be 3 education class in each institutions. A total of 45 class spanning the 6 month period. Each of the 15 institutions will be captured under the duration.
An Article Writing Competition (Edit-a-thon) will organized online in Maithili Wikipedia after the end of the First phase.
As the project runs for 6 months. Below is a summary of the budget for the project. Subsequent tables are detail breakdowns of the various phases.
|S.N||Description||Budget NPR||Equivalent in USD||Remarks|
Details of Phase 1 Expenditure
|1.||Transportation of Wikimedians
(volunteers user of this project)
|5||Rs.50||Rs.250||for 1 institution|
|2.||Projector (on rent)||1||Rs.500||Rs.500||for 1 institution|
|3.||Water||2 Cartoons||Rs.250||Rs.500||for 1 institution|
|4.||Drink||2 Cartoons||Rs.400||Rs.800||for 1 institution|
|5.||Lunch||30 People||Rs.75||Rs.2,250||for 1 institution|
|6.||Internet Connectivity||1||Rs.500||Rs.500||for 1 institution|
|Sub Total||Rs. 4,800||for 1 institution|
|Total||Rs. 4,800*15= 72,000||for 15 institution|
Details of Phase 2 Expenditure
|1.||Back drop 8' x 5'||1 piece||Rs.1,500||Rs.1,500|
|2.||Token of Appreciation||10||Rs.1,000||Rs.10,000|
|3.||Snacks + Venue Charge||150 People||Rs.200||Rs.30,000|
|5.||Prizes (Dictionary, Books etc)||3 person||Rs.32,000||First Prize : NRs 15,000|
Second Prize : NRs 10,000
Third Prize : NRs 7,000
|Sub Total||Rs. 86,000|
The project is intend to setup an active editing group. So each individual contributor upon their interest take regular participation in Wikimedia and community projects. We believe that people usually find a sense of attribution with things of their particular interest. We therefore anticipate regular and active contributions of members as their engagement levels will be pushed by the leads of the various groups. Also people find it to easy to contribute to things that already have their interest or attention.
In fact the project is meant for 6 months. The duration of 6 months and allocated budget may be sufficient approximately. I feel that the project will be fruitful and ends with a good hope.
Measures of success
Need target-setting tips? Note: in addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- Success will be measured based on the number of edits, new articles created, number of uploads, number of attendees and how effectively we engage our audience on our social media platforms.
- We expect a minimum of 5,000 article created or modified over the entire project duration.
- Get a minimum of 15 active editors for the entire project.
- We also hope to create at least 100 new articles of Mithila Culture, History, Rituals etc which are currently not on Wikipedia and its related projects.
- Increased community engagement
- A feedback form will be used to gather feedback on each event which provide insights about the event and to pin what went wrong and how to best improve that before the next event.
- Biplab Anand- User and Sysop of Maithili and Nepali Wikipedia and have experience of more than 2 years. Participant of BN10 Conference, TTT Bengaluru and Wikimania 2015.
- Tulsi Bhagat- User,Volunteer and Botworker of Maithili and Nepali Wikipedia.
- Soni Chaurasia- User, Volunteer of Maithili & Nepali Wikipedia.
- Bijay chaurasia- User, Volunteer, Local Autopatrolled, Wiki Loves Monuments 2015 Participant & Volunteer too of Wikimedia Projects.
- Nilam Karn- User, Volunteer of Maithili and Nepali Wikipedia.
Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
- Maithili Wikipedia
- Nepali Wikipedia Village Pump
- Mailing List
The Wikimedia Nepal community as well Maithili Community has been notified via the mailing list firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Do you think this project should be selected for an Individual Engagement Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. (Other constructive feedback is welcome on the talk page of this proposal).
- Support It seems to be helpful project. -- Soni Chaurasia (talk) 14:40, 29 September 2015 (UTC)
- Support Smaller Projects such as Maithili do need some sort of support for their growth. ---Muzammil (talk) 16:38, 29 September 2015 (UTC).
- Support Introducing the Wikipedia and Maithili Wikipedia to Educational institutions is a good initiative. This should be done for all the smaller communities, so that people will be aware of Wikimedia Projects and start utilizing it, sooner or later they will start their contribution too. --Dineshkumar Ponnusamy (talk) 02:36, 30 September 2015 (UTC)
- Support This seems like a good project and can yield great results.--Satdeep Gill (talk) 02:37, 30 September 2015 (UTC)
- Support-Nabin K. Sapkota (talk) 02:41, 30 September 2015 (UTC)
- Support-I am always with you guys. Great work, Keep it up-Krish Dulal 02:48, 30 September 2015 (UTC)
- Support - The languages in Indian Sub-continent, need good support. There always felt the scarcity of editors, visitors and awareness. This project may cater this need. Hence I endorse it. Ahmed Nisar (talk) 04:37, 30 September 2015 (UTC)
- Support - good project Santosh Shingare (talk) 06:15, 30 September 2015 (UTC)
- Support - Maithili is new to the community, So this project might help the Maithili Wikipedia to grow. And reaching towards the student editors is a good idea. -- Sailesh Patnaik (Talk2Me|Contribs) 08:20, 30 September 2015 (UTC)
- Support Strong support, it is absolutely important for those smaller wikis to grow and have good articles. This way seems to be a perfect solution. --Thomas Glintzer (talk) 09:22, 30 September 2015 (UTC)
- Support its project helps Nepalese second language promote and use and protect language in web Nawaraj Ghimire (talk) 04:55, 2 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support - I hope this project will support the growth of Maithili Wikipedia. --Ganesh Paudel (talk) 06:12, 2 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support-Janak Bhatta (talk) 07:40, 2 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support-Strong support! I think this project will certainly help the growth of Mithili wiki! -Satyam Mishra --talk-- 18:00, 2 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support - worthwhile goals at a more than reasonable budget. Best, Kevin (talk) 19:00, 2 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support - In my opinion is it a good project to support! --Animagus (talk) 11:07, 3 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support it's simple then realistic. Gadgets seems a bit too expensive but the overall cost is pretty low. I'd like to see some observation about digital divide but still it's worth a try. --Vituzzu (talk) 11:09, 3 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support रमेश सिंह बोहरा (talk) 06:01, 7 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support 220.127.116.11 06:05, 7 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support देवराज पौडेल (talk) 06:19, 7 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support NehalDaveND (talk) 11:20, 7 October 2015 (UTC)
- Support - Nirmal Dulal (talk) 08:27, 11 October 2015 (UTC)