Grants:IEG/Making telugu content accessible
Santhosh - from Telugu wikipedia
Creating a catalog of telugu books present in Digital library of india .
Telugu wikipedia, wikisource, wikiquotes, wiktionary
total amount requested:
Rs.1,04,000 (~1700 USD) Rs.1,14,300
2014 round 1
- 1 Project idea
- 2 Project goals
- 3 Project plan
- 4 Participant(s)
- 5 Discussion
- 6 References
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
Telugu is one of the 22 scheduled languages of the Republic of India. It ranks third by the number of native speakers in India. Telugu Wikipedia is one of the top three leading Indian language Wikipedias. Currently there is a lot of telugu content present in the Digital library of india (It contains 23322 books with 4476970 pages). But people can hardly get access to that content. Because of poor transliteration of titles and other details, lack of details in telugu script and some other problems, these books can't be searched easily. This can be assumed as a situation where a library of millions of useful books without a proper Index.
What is your solution?
My solution is to create an online catalog, which contains Hyperlink, Book title, Author's name, Category of book, Little description about the content in telugu unicode script which is searchable and make it available to wikimedians and other open source activists by posting it in Telugu wikipedia project page, India Access To Knowledge Blog, Famous online telugu web magazines promoting literature.
- To create an online catalog build an online catalog for telugu books in Digital Library of India(DLI) which provides a Brief description, details and Hyperlink to the books.
- To publish them as a open source content in telugu wikipedia page, Access to knowledge Blog and website, various telugu web magazines.
- Telugu books on DLI (mainly books that are encyclopedic in nature) will be downloaded. Brief description about the book will be written. A catalog will be created with details like title, author/editor, category, description about the book and hyperlink of the DLI page that contains the digital copy of book.
- Publishing the catalog at various places in web. Rights of the catalog will be released under CC-BY-SA.
- Telugu wikipedia page
- Telugu wikisouce
- CIS A2K Blog and website
- Some Web magazines related to telugu literature.
In average, I’ll go through 30-40 books and write the details like book title, author, hyper link and a brief description per day. In six months I will complete catalog containing 6000 books.
Total amount requested
Maximum amount of
Rs.1,04,000 Rs.1,14,000(in Indian Rupees), less expected, see below
As I will be working full time on this project i would like to receive minimum Rs.16000 per month as living allowance and Rs.1000 per month for internet connection. Total sum of the above expenses is Rs.104000. I have to add expenses for 5 edit-a-thons(in various cities and towns) to this amount. It will be Rs.10,000. Now the total project budget will be Rs.114000.
- Note: +300 rs. to cover bank transfer fees
On Wikipedia projects: This catalogue can be used to develop and create new articles in sources like Wikipedia, wikiquotes, wiktionary. We can upload books in this catalogue to telugu wikisource.
On Wikimedians: We can develop many related projects by using this catalogue as the source.
On Common people: The books in the catalogue will come in google search results directly, thereby helping common people. By giving a little description and digital copy links we are making it much more feasible for the common people to search for the book directly from the google. There are no easy options available to search for books in D.L.I by common public. So with the help of these methods we can improve the telugu wikipedia and even telugu in the internet using this catalogue.
Fit with strategy
Improving integrity: Increases the productivity by easy access to the lots of books.
Improving quality of articles: Description given in the catalogue will anchor editors of telugu wikipedia, telugu wikiquotes and telugu wiktionary to access the proper books and improve the articles.
Creating new articles: New articles can be created by using the books available in free sources.
Wikimedians use the catalog to search Telugu content and a large number of books can be uploaded to Telugu wikisource, quality and quantity of telugu wikipedia will increase. Catalog can be expanded further with more books.
Measures of success
- Building and Publishing online catalog with details of 6000 telugu books present in Digital library of india.
- Conducting atleast one Edit-a-thon by using the books in this catalog which result improving quality of 1000 existing articles and creating 100 new articles in telugu wikipedia.
Pavan Santhosh: My academic career deals with the Pharmacy and My main interests are around Telugu Literature and Culture. Eventually I found telugu wikipedia and I fell in love with the project. I've started and completed articles on telugu books, worked in projects and started one myself and running successfully.(my contributions in telugu wikipedia). I started working on other sister projects of telugu wikipedia and in english wikipedia also. Other than wikimedia projects, I used to write reviews and critical analysis on telugu literature in many web and print magazines. Many of my articles got published in reputed telugu literary magazines.
Please paste a link to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions, here
Do you think this project should be selected for an Individual Engagement Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- Community member: add your name and rationale here.
- yes I endorse it.Palagiri (talk) 08:29, 5 April 2014 (UTC) .Telugu wikipedian
- This is very useful project, I endorse it --Kasyap (talk) 08:10, 8 April 2014 (UTC)
- Yes, I would like wikimedia to support this -- --రవిచంద్ర (talk) 06:53, 10 April 2014 (UTC)
- I SUPPORT IT
3. It is very useful project to make available large volumes of Telugu language content to the netigens and wikipedians at large. I endorse it and wish him all the best. It should be extended to include rest of the DLI catelogue of Telugu language books.--Rajasekhar1961 (talk) 04:40, 7 April 2014 (UTC)