What is the problem you're trying to solve?
Retaining women contributors is difficult because of the adverse environment they sometimes experience on Wikipedia. We want to retain the 50 new contributors that we gained during the Let's Fill the Gender Gap project and help attract new contributors. There is currently no regular scheduled meeting in the region, which makes it hard for the new contributors to meet regular wikipedians and foster a community spirit.
What is your solution?
We want to create a local section and have regular meetings to address the needs of new contributors in terms of training (continuing to improve their contributing capacities and helping them with translating articles, and learning more about wikicommons)). Some of the contributors of the Let's fill the gender gap projects still have questions after the end of the workshops concerning mainly translating (we have begun a collaboration with Women in Red) and importing photos to illustrate their articles.
We will create a pool of active contributors meeting regularly in the region in a friendly and festive surrounding.
- rent facilities at the Impact Hub in Geneva to organize regular events within user friendly surroundings: wiki, kitchen, startup environment just behind the train station.
- contact local academic faculties to have one event in each faculty as well as libraries and museums.
- then notify relevant communities (Unige, WMCH, contributors of the Let's Fill the <Gender Gap project, twitter, linked in and Face Book)
- set up a dedicated face book page and make regular news.
- organize one event per month with a different theme, looking also for potential trainers in the desired fiels within the local Wikipedians when possible, if not from french Wikipedians (we will pay the travel and accommodation if need be)
Themes could be : swiss wines, swiss cheese, commons, wikidata, scientific articles, literature,local history with a focus on women linked subjects
- Travel fees to visit other projects in France and Switzerland : 3000 USD
- Visual design contractor: (Amount) USD
- Project management: 4000 USD
- renting facilities for meetings and events:1600 USD
- Wikimedia merchandise for volunteer giveaways: 1000 USD
- Total Budget: (Amount) USD 9600 USD
We aim at starting with the community we built during the Let's fill the Gender Gap Worshops (these worships will continue next year, attracting new contributors). These contributors have needs in terms of learning how to import photos and also in terms of enhancing the first set of articles they submitted by translating them in other languages. We want to plan one monthly meeting in a friendly environment to maintain the forged human links and have more women contributors. We will also have ressources from other institutions. The equal opportunity office of the University of Geneva, who was active in the Let's Fill the Gender gap project is willing to provide ressources for the editathons to be held in the faculties, developing theme around the main field of each faculty. The objective will still be to address women's biographies and subjects linked to women's history, or main field of interests.
We expect the project to enhance to other types of articles (we have been focusing on biographies but could expand to subject interessing women as was done with Wiki Loves Africa. We would like to tackle more scientific fields.
Measures of success
Increasing number of contributors retention Achieving 5% of retention on the Let's Fill the gender Gap project Achieving 20 regular new contributors per year Making the Wikipedia movement visible locally by organizing one event per month in average and 2 trips (one to France and one to Switzerland) Translate all articles written during the Let's Fill the Gender Gap Project and notify Women In red Need target-setting tips? Note: in addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
LaMèreVeille is currently running workshops for new contributors, member of WMCH and specialized in strategic internet watch.
Nattes à Chat is currently running workshops for new contributors, and is a professional coach with a solid background in writing articles for the medias. She also participated in the French WikiMooc.
Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
Communities will be notified during the summer formally, but conversation is engaged with WMCH, Equal opportunity office of the UnIversity of Geneva. Two more institutions might participate in Lausanne and Geneva, but we prefer to wait for confirmation before disclosing their names publicly
Do you think this project should be selected for an Individual Engagement Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. (Other constructive feedback is welcome on the talk page of this proposal).
- Community member: add your name and rationale here.