Grants:IdeaLab/Awareness video for Bengali Wikisource
|Please see Grants:Project/Rapid/WBG/Awareness video for Bengali Wikisource for the Rapid Grant proposal based on this idea.|
Who are the people you want to introduce
Wikipedia Wikisource to?
Try to be as specific as possible about this group.
- Bengali book lovers, students, teachers, researchers
In what languages do they search for information, online or otherwise?
In what ways does this group communicate with each other?
This can include services and apps in social media, mailing lists, physical spaces like conferences or lectures, or at specific institutions like at a library.
- Private chat groups, Physical space
What are some reasons this group would use
Wikipedia Wikisource? How would they benefit from it, or what would they find useful?
Think about what they would be interested in reading and learning about; does
Wikipedia Wikisource provide better access to information this group cares about?
- Wikisource is all about copyright free books, may be reference books useful for researchers, students or teachers, or any general topic books useful for book lovers and librarians, Wikisource can always be a good place for them.
Wikipedia Wikisource projects will you promote to new readers?
How will you communicate with new readers? Will you be communicating with them online, in-person, or both?
Describe your idea to engage new readers. How might it be implemented? What will you tell people about
Think about the steps that might involved to make this idea happen, and what you might teach people about your experience or others' experiences using
- Low awareness about Bengali Wikisource among Bengali book lovers and netizens is the cause of low siteviews. This is the siteviews analysis of Bengali Wikisource in 2017 and this is the comparison between Bengali Wikipedia and Bengali Wikisource siteviews in the same duration. Often Wikipedians are not aware of whats going on in Wikisource.
- One of the way to generate awareness about Bengali Wikisource is to produce few documentary or advertisement videos about how Wikisource community is building the largest free digital library of Bengali copyright free books and what are the implications of this volunteer work. These short videos can be produced with professional help keeping in mind of the Bengali culture. Such types of initiatives has already been taken in Nigeria in collaboration with Mark Angel Comedy to generate awareness about Wikipedia there.
If you’re not certain about how to respond to this question when starting your idea, you do not need to answer it right now. Campaign participants and Wikimedia Foundation staff can help you consider some options.
- Create 1-2 short duration awareness videos about Bengali Wikisource.
- At least 10,000 views in Youtube for each of those videos.
- 25% increase of editors and siteviews.
Do you think you can implement this idea? What support do you need?
Do you need people with specific skills or resources to complete this idea? Are there any financial needs for this project? Do you need advising from Wikimedia Foundation staff?
- Yes, it can be done with a team of professional documentary film makers and screen writers, Wikimedia volunteers with experience in Bengali Wikisource and people with in-depth knowledge of Bengali culture.
- There will be financial assistance needed to pay documentary film makers and the supporting team.
- I need advising from WMF staffs about logistics and resource and also to gain experience from their similar kind of initiatives taken before.
About the idea creator
- I am User:Bodhisattwa from West Bengal, India. I am with Wikimedia movement for more than 6 years with little less than 2,00,000 global edits till now. I have also sysop rights in Bengali Wikisource and Bengali Wikipedia and co-founder of West Bengal Wikimedians User Group
Expand your idea
Would a grant from the Wikimedia Foundation help make your idea happen? You can expand this idea into a grant proposal.
No funding needed?
Does your idea not require funding, but you're not sure about what to do next? Not sure how to start a proposal on your local project that needs consensus? Contact Chris Schilling on-wiki at I JethroBT (WMF) (talk · contribs) or via e-mail at cschillingwikimedia.org for help!