Grants:IdeaLab/Search and categorisation tool for outreach documentation
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
There is a great deal of Wikimedia documentation and other resources related to Wikimedia, however it is:
- In many different places including on non Wikimedia websites
- Hard to find
What is your solution?
A tool for documentation related to outreach related resources that is easy to use and contribute to. People will be able to add resources in any language and it will include non-Wikimedia resources hosted on external websites.
Practically it would be a version of Hay's Tool Directory for outreach documentation which would be installed on wmflabs.org, the code for Hays Tool is available on Github here.
Community involvement is needed for the project:
- Volunteer: Adding documentation to the search tool once it has been created
- Developer: Someone who can do the technical work, installing the tool on wmflabs
- Advisor: Someone knowledgeable about exisiting documentation that can be added to the search tool once it has been created and to suggest a sensible categorisation process.
- Community Organiser: Helping encourage community members to add resources to the tool
- Researcher: Finding useful documentation to add to the search tool once it has been created
People are able to find resources related to outreach activities more easily
Practical steps would be:
Decide on a name for the tool (needs to be descriptve of its function so that it is easily Googlable) Write text for tool front page
- Link to Hays Tool (many outreach related tools are already listed here)
- Link from Hays Tool to this tool
Install this tool on wmflabs.org
- Update tool when updates are available
- Add resources to tool
Additional functionality that would be useful but is not currently available:
- Provide a mechanism to report problems, request features, provide feedback etc
- Ability to add information to existing entries in the database, including extra tags or descriptions in other languages, links to translations etc
- Ability to flag entries for resources that no longer exist
- Ability to delete not useful entries e.g nonsense or nearly blank entries
Text for front page of tool
Wikimedia Documentation Directory
A way to easily discover Wikimedia-related documentation including all outreach activities e.g GLAM and education.
To add a resource simply click on the Add a resource button and fill in the form, it will take around 60 minutes to appear on the tool.
For metrics and other tools please visit the Tools Directory.
Button: Add a document
Form used to add resources to tool
Wikimedia Documentation Directory
This form is to add resources to the Wikimedia Documentation Directory, once you have completed the form in will take up to 60 minutes for the resource to appear on the tool.
Please fill in this form in the language that the resource is written in. If the resource is available in more than one language please fill a form for each language
- Help text
- Name of resource
- The name of the resource
- The web address of the resource, please include the https://www. part of the address
- The name of the organisation or individual who produced the resource, for Wikimedia resources please write which site e.g Meta, Commons, Wikipedia etc
- The language the resource is written in
- Description of the resource (100 words max)
- Tag 1
- A word that describes the resource in some way, tags are used to help group resources together and make them easier to find. Look at some of the resources that are currently on the tool to get examples.
- Tag 2
- Tag 3
- Tag 4
Resources to add to the tool
Please add your suggestions to the discussion page
- Volunteer I will help to add documentation to the search tool once it has been created Rberchie (talk) 20:58, 3 August 2015 (UTC)
- Researcher Finding useful documentation to add to the search tool once it has been created →Masssly✉ 17:02, 21 August 2015 (UTC)
- A really good idea, but if the tagging from Hay's directory is used, why restrict it to GLAM and Education? Wouldn't it be suitable for all outreach documentation and resources? Ainali (talk) 20:23, 2 August 2015 (UTC)
- A very welcome idea to make sharing more effective. Susannaanas (talk) 08:05, 3 August 2015 (UTC)
- Brilliant idea - a much needed resource NavinoEvans (talk) 09:57, 4 August 2015 (UTC)
- I would love to collaborate in connecting the resources and to our program toolkits development work in the evaluation portal JAnstee (WMF) (talk) 19:22, 7 August 2015 (UTC)