Grants:PEG/Irvin Stotomas/Wikipedia Takes Rinconada/Report
The Wikipedia Takes Rinconada was a photograph and video scavenger hunt inspired by Wikipedia Takes the City conducted in the City of Iriga and in municipalities in the 5th District of the province of Camarines Sur. It aimed to capture landmarks and cultural icons of the district collectively known as Rinconada which is home to over 500,000 Rinconada Bikol speakers.
The contest ran for 21 days which started on December 19, 2015 and ended on January 9, 2016. There were four (4) three-member teams and one (1) individual participant who joined the competition. The awarding ceremony was held on January 16, 2016 at Iriga City Public Library with the following winners: Team Piltik (1st Prize), Team CBSUA-REPED (2nd Prize), Team CBSUA-CDE (3rd Prize) and User:Elmer_nev_valenzuela (Special Prize). Almost 2,000 images and videos were uploaded at Wikimedia Commons!
The City Government of Iriga thru the City Tourism Office proposed to conduct a week-long photograph exhibit and a street photography during the celebration of Tinagba Festival. Sixty-five (65) free-licensed photographs selected from the images of Rinconada landmarks and cultural icons captured during Wikipedia Takes Rinconada were exhibited from February 4 - 12, 2016 at Iriga City Public Library in Iriga City, Camarines Sur. The exhibit would be permanently displayed in the library. Local Wikimedians and new volunteers were also given free access during the Tinagba Festival grand street parade on February 11, 2015.
- 1 Timeline
- 2 Gallery
- 3 Outcomes and impact
- 4 Expense report
- 5 Notes
- 6 See also
Planning and organizing
- October 13-16, 2015 - At the Regional Seminar-Workshop on Bicol History & Culture: Bicentennial Celebration of the End of the Galleon Trade held at Universidad de Santa Isabel and Eurotel in Naga City, project team members Irvin Sto. Tomas, Gil Gregorio and Ramon Olaño informally discussed with Francisco Peñones Jr. (Southern Luzon Representative, NCCA Literary Arts Sub-Committee/member, Burikbutikan Artists Collective, Inc.), Edwin dela Torre (Sirangan Artists Commune), Peter Lagyap (Cultural Officer, City Government of Iriga), Almyra Balares (Librarian, Local Government Unit of Baao, Camarines Sur), and Suzanne Paz (SB Secretary/Cultural Affairs designate, Local Government Unit of Nabua, Camarines Sur) the Wikipedia Takes Rinconada project scheduled in December 2015. A speaking engagement was offered to Peñones (Bikol Rinconada language) and dela Torre (Heritage and Creative Commons).
- October 17 and 22, 2015 - The team coordinated with Bernadette De los Santos, President of Burikbutikan Artists Collective Inc. and with Pilar De Guzman, President of Nueva Caceres Heritage Movement Inc., and invited their group to be among the partner organizations. The organizations could provide a speaker on Bikol Rinconada language and culture, and cultural heritage and photography. They could also provide guides to participants during photograph/video hunting and suggest design of the event's logo.
- October 21-22, 2015 - Individual Project Grant Agreement with Wikimedia Foundation was signed between the Foundation and Irvin Sto. Tomas and Maffeth Opiana. Bank statement was acquired as required in the agreement.
- October 23, 2015 - Sto. Tomas attended a meeting of Sumaro Bikolnon Inc. in Naga City. Formal invitation was sent to the organization as well as to Nueva Caceres Heritage Movement, and Burikbutikan Artists Collective as partners.
- November 17-19, 2015 - Purchasing of supplies and printing of photographs for Wikipedia Takes Naga Photo Exhibit.
Preparation, promotion and coordination
- November 20, 2015 - Communication was delivered to the City Mayor of Iriga. Sto. Tomas and Opiana visited Iriga City Public Library, the proposed venue of Rinconada Takes Rinconada.
- November 21, 2015 - Representatives from partner organizations namely Burikbutikan Artists Collective, Nueva Caceres Heritage Movement and Sumaro Bikolnon attended the organizer's meeting at The Park, New Crown Hotel, in Naga City. Representatives from interested groups namely Centro Naga Business Club and Hiras-Dunong joined the meeting. Discussion included the program and schedule of activities, tasking and other matters.
- November 22-23, 2015 - Purchasing of supplies, printing and production of kits.
- November 28, 2015 - Wikipedia Takes Naga Photo Exhibit was set up at Fishcove, Abella Street, Naga City as part of the event hosted by Sumaro Bikolnon Inc. and co-organized by PhilWiki Community and Parasurat Bikolnon.
- November 29, 2015 - Guidelines and Mechanics was updated.
- December 1, 2015 - Invitations were delivered to municipal mayors of local government units of Baao, Nabua and Bato, presidents of University of Saint Anthony in Iriga City and Camarines Sur Polytechnic Colleges in Nabua town, and Public schools district supervisors of Department of Education Baao, Nabua and Bato.
- December 7, 2015 - Invitations were also delivered to the office heads of Central Bicol State University of Agriculture in Pili town and Mariners Polytechnic Colleges Foundation in Canaman town.
- December 12, 2015 - Team set up tarpaulins announcing the event on December 19-27 at Iriga City Public Library in Iriga City. Team also followed up the invitation to institutions and organizations.
- December 13, 2015 - Wikipedia Takes Rinconada shirts were picked up at Tribo Bikolano in Naga City.
- December 16, 2015 - Wikipedia launches Rinconada photo contest appeared in Bicol Standard regional weekly newspaper. The news item was posted in November on its website.
- December 17, 2015 - Guidelines and Mechanics was modified to accommodate individual participants. Wikipedia Takes Rinconada was extended until January 9, 2016 to accommodate more participants and due to bad weather. Awarding ceremony was moved to January 16, 2016.
- December 19, 2015
|9:00 - 10:00||Arrival and registration||Three (3) teams signed-up namely: Hiras-Durong, CBSUA-CDE and CBSUA-REPED.|
There were four (4) members of the Project Team present namely: Elbert Baeta, User:Geopoet, User:Filipinayzd and User:Ringer.
Francisco Peñones, Jr. of Burikbutikan Artists Collective served as the speaker. Rommel Alanis of Nueva Caceres Heritage Movement was not able to attend because of a family emergency.
|10:00 - 10:30||Opening program||Filipinayzd acknowledged and thanked the participants, organizers and librarian present. He then gave the history of Wikipedia Takes the City and the previous two editions of WTTC in Southeast Asia.|
|10:30 - 10:45||Welcome message||Flora Salvadora welcomed the participants and organizers. She thanked the organizers for choosing Iriga City as the venue of the third edition of WTTC in Southeast Asia.|
|10:30 - 10:45||On Wikimedia movement||Ringer talked about the Wikimedia Movement and related it to the initiatives of Bikol Community and PhilWiki Community.|
|10:45 - 11:00||On being a Wikipedian||Geopoet shared his experiences as a Wikipedia contributor to encourage the participants to share the knowledge about their localities.|
|11:00 - 11:30||Talk on Cultural Heritage||Francisco Peñones, Jr. of Burikbutikan Artists Collective talked about cultural heritage conservation through documentation. He likewise gave his opinion on issues related to intellectual property rights.|
|11:30 - 12:00||Orientation||User:Filipinayzd reviewed the Guidelines and Mechanics. The participants arrived at a consensus to extend the period of photograph and video hunting until January 9, 2016. Late registrants are welcome to join until the said date. Individual category is opened to compete for the Special Prize.|
|11:30 - 1:30||Lunch break|
|1:30 - 3:30||Send-off||Start of photograph and video hunting within Iriga City|
|2:30 - 4:00||Uploading||Participants tried to upload a few photographs at Wikimedia Commons|
- December 27, 2015 - Weekly regional newspaper Bikol Reporter featured the launching of the event.
- January 3, 2016 - Team Piltik registered and became the fourth contestant in the Team Category.
- January 4, 2016 - Elmer nev valenzuela who is currently based in Manila registered in the Individual Category.
- January 14, 2016 - Met with Francisco Peñones Jr. of Southern Luzon Representative, NCCA Literary Arts Sub-Committee/member, Burikbutikan Artists Collective, Inc. who is also connected with LGU Daet, to explore the possibility of conducting a photography walk in Daet, Camarines Norte.
- January 16, 2016 - Awarding ceremory was held at the Nora Aunor Nook with the presence of Iriga City Public Library head. Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia Edit-a-thon 2 was attended by most of the participants.
Post event activities
- January 17, 2016 - Attended NCHM meeting and awarded the certificate of appreciation to the organization.
- January 21, 2016 - Met with Peter Lagyap of City of Iriga Tourism Office to discuss follow-up Wikipedia activities during Tinagba Festival in February.
- February 5 - 12, 2016 - Wikipedia Takes Rinconada Exhibit was opened to the public. The event was one of the highlights of Tinagba Festival. The ceremony was inaugurated by Hon. Ronald Felix Y. Alfelor, the City Mayor, along with the Tourism Officer. 0ver 50 photographs taken during Wikipedia Takes Rinconada were displayed in a gallery.
- February 11, 2016 - The City Tourism Office of Iriga provided free access to Wikimedians who participated at Wikipedia Takes Rinconada during the Tinagba Festival grand parade. The festival is the biggest in the district.
Coordination, Promotion and Wikipedia Takes Naga Exhibit
Launching, Awarding, and Edit-a-thon
Thirteen (13) photography enthusiasts participated in Wikipedia Takes Rinconada accomplishing the list of goals in various subjects covering all six municipalities and one city in Rinconada district.
Ringer discusses the Wikimedia Movement, and the initiatives of Bikol Community and PhilWiki Community
Geopoet shares an example of article he has been improving
Team Hiras-Dunong uploads their shots at Wikimedia Commons
Team CBSUA-REPED in Balatan, Camarines Sur
A member of Team Hiras-Dunong in action
The photographs and videos captured by the participants can be found at Wikimedia Commons.
Children playing the traditional game at Agta settlement area by Team Piltik
Wikipedia Takes Rinconada Exhibit and Tinagba Street Photography
Outcomes and impact
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Each municipality/city in the Rinconada district is represented by at least one (1) team.|| Not done
Only Iriga City (3) was represented by a team.
|Seven to twenty (7 - 20) teams and individual participants were expected to join the contest. There were only four teams of three (12) and an individual (1) participated. The participants came from Iriga City (10 individuals), Calabanga town in Camarines Sur (1), San Pascual town in Masbate (1) and Manila (1).|
|Number of photographs/videos uploaded in Wikimedia Commons is at least 150 per team; or at least a total of 1,000 files combined.|| Done
A total of 1,933 media including 23 video clips
|Team Piltik (453 files), Team CBSUA-REPED (556 files), Team CBSUA-CDE (481 files), Team Hiras-Dunong (230 files) and User:Elmer_nev-valenzuela (213 files)|
|The average percentage of usage of the files is at least 10% to be evaluated three (3) months after the event.|| Not done
6.32% or 120 total of media (5.09% of which or 97 media are distinct)
|Assessed on June 7, 2015 or 5 months later|
|At least two (2) private individuals, local companies or institutions support the activity thru in-kind donations for prizes, venue, accommodation etc.|| Done
Three (3) organizations and one (1) company
|Burikbutikan Artists Collective provided a speaker during the launching of the event on December 19, 2015. Together with Nueva Caceres Heritage Movement and Sumaro Bikolnon, the three organizations helped promote the event through inviting participants. One team and the lone individual participant was recruited through Burikbutikan Artists Collective. Tribo Bikolano provided 20% discount on the t-shirts and 10 customized Bikol Wikipedia mugs worth PHP1,500.00 (USD32.6)|
|At least 10 participants attend Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia Lecture|| Not done
|Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia Edit-a-thon 2 was held on January 9, 2016 after the awarding ceremony. It is the second edition of edit-a-thon for Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia which is currently in the Incubator. The half-day event was participated by WTR winners who were available after the awarding and willing to attend the event. Filipinayzd and Ringer who served as speakers during the first part of the activity. Filipinayzd conducted the tutorial while Ringer was in-charge in the documentation.|
For more information, see Global Metrics.
|1. # of active editors involved||7||Filipinayzd as project lead, Maffeth.opiana as secretariat, Ringer and Geopoet as speakers, Jojit_fb and Steven*fung as technical assistants, FroyPB who created a new account FroyAgta as participant; inactive editors Ivyoutiful and Bertbites were involved in inviting participants|
|2. # of new editors||11||Dnacario, Elmer nev valenzuela, Free2barredo, Gibarreta, Jerlens, MarvinBikolano, Patpat nava, Pauskie, Rizalynsahagun11, TEAM PILTIK, Yawrei; excluding FroyAgta (previous user account is FroyPB) and EdEncinas with only 1 edit|
|3. # of individuals involved||33||Organizing team, participants, partner organization's attendees/representatives. Does not include guests and visitors during the launching and entire duration of Wikipedia Takes Rinconada exhibit, and Tinagba Festival street photography.|
|4. # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages||120||Assessed on June 7, 2016|
|5. # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||Unknown||Activity is not about writing articles|
|6. Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects||Unknown||Activity is not about writing articles|
Evaluation of outputs
Glamorous was used as a tool to evaluate to usage of files.
|Participant||# of files uploaded||# of distinct files used in Wikimedia projects (% of all files)|
# of total files (Wikimedia projects)
|9 distinct files (3.59%)|
11 total files (bcl.wikipedia 3; en.wikipedia 2; incubator.wikipedia 2; en.wikivoyage 2; tl.wikipedia 1; vi.wikipedia 1)
|User:Elmer nev valenzuela||212 images
|15 distinct files (7.04%)|
17 total files (en.wikipedia 8; bcl.wikipedia 5; tl.wikipedia 2; meta.wikipedia 1; en.wikivoyage 1; incubator.wikipedia 1)
|8 distinct files (3.65%)|
11 total files (en.wikipedia 6; meta.wikipedia 2; tl.wikipedia 1; incubator.wikipedia 1; de.wikipedia 1)
|2 distinct files (3.45%)|
3 total files (en.wikipedia 1; bcl.wikipedia 1; incubator.wikipedia 1)
|3 distinct files (3.30%)|
4 total files (en.wikivoyage 1; bcl.wikipedia 1; tl.wikipedia 1; en.wikipedia 1)
|13 distinct files (9.09%)|
16 total files (incubator.wikipedia 4; en.wikipedia 4; de.wikipedia 3; bcl.wikipedia 2; meta.wikipedia 1; id.wiktionary 1; tl.wikipedia 1)
|User:Patpat nava||45 images
|1 distinct file (2.22%)|
1 total file (meta.wikipedia 1)
|2 distinct file (2.13%)|
4 total files (meta.wikipedia 1)
|4 distinct file (2.13%)|
5 total files (en.wikipedia 2; tl.wikipedia 2; incubator.wikipedia 1)
|User:TEAM PILTIK||64 images
|7 distinct file (10.94%)|
8 total files (en.wikipedia 6; bcl.wikipedia 1; de.wikipedia 1)
|13 distinct file (7.65%)|
16 total files (en.wikipedia 7; bcl.wikipedia 4; tl.wikipedia 3; bg.wikipedia 1; wikidata.wikipedia 1)
|20 distinct file (4.82%)|
24 total files (en.wikipedia 12; bcl.wikipedia 5; incubator.wikipedia 3; tl.wikipedia 2 bg.wikipedia 1; wikidata.wikipedia 1)
|0 distinct file (0%)|
What went well?
- Over 1,000 media including video clips - The target number of photographs/videos to be uploaded in Wikimedia Commons was met. What is noteworthy is the fact that the participants uploaded the files themselves which never happened in the two previous editions of Wikipedia Takes the City in the Philippines. They were able to categorize and added description to the files accordingly. The long duration of the competition gave the participants plenty of time to upload the files at their own pace. The competitive nature of activity drove them to do the task within the prescribed period. Only one team went beyond the deadline which cost them valuable points.
- More partners and volunteers involved - Three organizations and a company provided support to the activity. The nature of support provided by the partner organizations and company varied. Burikbutikan Artists Collective (BAC) provided a speaker during the launching of the event on December 19, 2015. Together with Nueva Caceres Heritage Movement (NCHM) and Sumaro Bikolnon (SB), these 3 organizations helped promote the event thru inviting participants. One team and the lone individual participant were recruited thru BAC. A sponsor during Wikipedia Takes Naga, Tribo Bikolano provided 20% discount on the t-shirts and 10 customized Bikol Wikipedia mugs.
- Francisco Peñones Jr., who is also a columnist, contributed a photograph taken during the launching of the event in the regional weekly newspaper Bikol Reporter. Bert delos Martirez, a member of SB and has a column called Calle Maduros in a regional weekly newspaper Bicol Mail mentioned the event co-organized by PhilWiki Community which also featured Wikipedia Takes Naga photo exhibit.
- Follow-up activities - The City Government of Iriga thru its Public Library and Tourism Office initiated follow up activities namely an exhibit and a photowalk immediately after the conclusion of the event. The week-long photography exhibit held during the Tinagba Festival has increased the reach of Wikipedia among the locals and visitors.
What didn't work?
- Representation of a least a team for Rinconada district - The main reason behind the representation of participants is to maximize the coverage of the goals. Also, local participants are more familiar with the subjects to be taken. While most of the participants were from Iriga City (3), however, the participants covered all municipalities in the Rinconada district!
- Expected number of participants - Expectations were high on the number of participants because the project team delivered formal invitations to local government units and schools based within and outside Rinconada district, encouraged the partner organizations to field a team, and conducted online promotion in over a dozen of Facebook groups of local communities. An event page was created in Facebook and a news item was published in a regional weekly newspaper The Bicol Standard to reach a wider audience. The organizers provided an extension in the period of application and an onsite registration for individuals who showed intention to join the contest. In spite of these measures, there was still a low turn out of application.
- Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia Lecture - A lecture on Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia was supposed to be held during the awarding day to be attended by students and library users. In lieu of the activity, an editing workshop for Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia was conducted which was participated by eight (8) registered users who actively participated in the event. They were tasked to navigate and get familiarized with Wikimedia Incubator and each participant was required to put at least one photograph to existing articles in the website. It is the second edition of editing workshop for Rinconada Bikol Wikipedia after the first one held at Yellow Cab Pizza, Magsaysay Ave., Naga City, Camarines Sur back in August 2014.
- The activity organized by PhilWiki Community and Iriga City Public Library in celebration of Wikipedia 15.
- Award's Night - The occasion would have been a venue to meet key people in the community and the local media to further promote the cause of the event. Instead of having a formal affair, a simple awarding ceremony was done at the Iriga City Public Library.
Here is the expense report based on the approved project proposal:
Category Budget PHP/(USD) Actual Expense PHP/(USD) Event tarpaulins 2,000.00 ($43.49) 297.50 ($6.47) Wikipedia Takes Rinconada shirts 6,600.00 ($143.53) 6,600.00 ($143.53) — 12 winners 300.00 ($6.52) each 200.00 ($4.35) each — 10 organizers 300.00 ($6.52) each 200.00 ($4.35) each — additional 11 participants — 200.00 ($4.35) each Logistics 7,000.00 ($152.23) 11,299.31 ($245.73) — Event organizing (Oct. 23 - Nov. 19, 2015) — 2,899.82 ($63.06) — Preparation, promotion and coordination (Nov. 20 - Dec. 18, 2015) — 6,068.49 ($131.97) — Launching (Dec. 19, 2015) — 580.00 ($12.61) — Event period and awarding preparation (Dec. 20, 2015 - Jan. 15, 2016) — 1,251.00 ($27.21) — Awarding (Jan. 20, 2016) — 500.00 ($10.87) Cash Prizes 18,000.00 ($391.45) 18,000.00 ($391.45) Supplies 3,500.00 ($76.12) 3,570.15 ($77.64) Food (Launching and Awarding) 10,500.00 ($65.24) 1,119.00 ($24.34) — Organizer's snacks and lunch 3,000.00 ($65.24) 605.00 ($13.16) — Participants' meals 7,500.00 ($163.10) 514.00 ($11.18) Miscellaneous 4,760.00 ($103.52) 5,310.00 ($115.48) — Post event and organizing of Wikipedia Takes Rinconada exhibit and photowalk — 5,240.00 ($113.95) — Photocopying — 70.00 ($1.52) Total PHP52,360.00
- Tinagba Festival 2016 sa Iriga City http://balita.net.ph
- Bert delos Martirez, a member of Sumaro Bikolnon and columnist of Calle Maduros mentioned the event in the November 19, 2015 issue of regional weekly newspaper BICOLMAIL
- Wikipedia launches Rinconada photo contest http://www.bicolstandard.com
- Approved project proposal at Meta
- Official page of Wikipedia Takes Rinconada at Bikol Wikipedia
- Wikipedia Takes Rinconada Official Facebook Page
- Wikipedia launches Rinconada photo contest Bicol Standard
- IN THE SERVICE TO WIKIPEDIA - Malate at Wordpress
- THE MONKEY’S FLYING START IN THE YEAR OF THE MONKEY - Malate at Wordpress