Grants:PEG/Mahmoudalrawi/Iraq Wikipedia Project
- 1 Project idea
- 2 Goals
- 3 Plan
- 4 Resources and risks
- 5 Budget
- 6 Community notification
What is the problem you're trying to solve?
We lack awareness about Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects. We need to educate people about it and to learn them who to participate in Wikipedia.
Also, as there is a program in Iraq called: "I'm Iraqi, I read", I want to start a program called: "I'm Iraqi, I write".
What is your solution?
- A twice monthly sessions for 5 months to meet different groups.
- Volunteers from 3 universities in Baghdad are ready to participate.
- An NGO informed me that they will support me as they have good relations with youth groups in Baghdad and other regions in Iraq.
- Improvement of participation in Wikimedia project in Iraq.
- Awareness about Wikipedia in Iraq.
twice monthly sessions for 5 months.
- Professional people who can translate from English
- University students (including post graduate)
Fit with strategy
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorites. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1-2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found at here.
Measures of success
- 30-50 participants per session with needed knowledge to edit and add to Wikipedia
- Both genders participation with low gender gap.
- Continuation of at least 10 users after the end of the program (follow up tell the end of this year).
- 100 of articles created (during the sessions) plus another 100 in the time of following up.
- 100 photos uploaded to Commons and added to Wikipedia articles.
Resources and risks
The Sessions and the campaign will be done by me only User:Mahmoudalrawi.
Political and security situation in Iraq. I'll try to get support from User:Ravan (from Iraq also) and I'll try to apply my experience as I'm participating regularly in Wikipedia since 2010 and I attended WikiArabia 2015 and 2016.
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here. See Budget Guidelines. Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Venue||The place where to have the teaching session||1||10||50||500||USD||The total price is for 10 sessions, twice monthly. The price is for a hall in NGO that will support us. The price is for maintenance requirements as claimed by them.|
|2||Promotional Materials||Brochures In Arabic||1||500||0.5||250||USD||I'll try to provide brochures that will be copied by black/white printer. The cost will be only for papers and ink.|
|3||Food and Beverages||Snacks during the sessions||1||300||4||1200||USD||I'm considering 30 people each session. I have calculated the 10$ each person as I expect the session to be 2-3 hours with one sandwich + soft drink.|
|4||Prizes and Awards||Small symbolic prizes related to Wikipedia||1||10||5||50||USD||Simple gifts will be planned with certificates of attendance for participants who continue in attending session and editing in Wikipedia.|
Total cost of project
Total amount requested
Total amount requested from the Project and Event Grants Program. 2000 $
Additional sources of revenue
Additional sources of revenue, other than the Project and Event Grants Program, that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded.
I would require Wikimedia's marks for the logos used in the flyers and on the prizes.
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talkpage, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?