Grants:PEG/Voll/WLM Latvia 2015/Report
- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Is your project completed?
Activities and lessons learned
- Registered a domain wikilovesmonuments.lv.
- Sent 100 advertisement letters to tourist informational centers around the country.
- Multiple meetings for organizing the project (Norvik Banka, VKPAI, judges).
- Wikiexpedition to Jelgava Municipality, a photo tour to improve the visibility of the many cultural heritage in this municipality.
- Awards ceremony at office of Norvik Banka (photos).
- Work together with other people and other organisations in Real Life.
- What worked well?
- We generally delivered what we promised and completed the contest successfully.
- Number of photos uploaded.
- Wikiexpedition to Jelgava Municipality.
- Organizing prizes.
- Prize giving ceremony.
- Media coverage.
- What didn't work?
- Communication with partners.
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
- Communicate more intensively and with right persons.
- Make announcement long before September so that people have plenty of time to collect good photos.
- Grants:Learning patterns/How to start a Wiki Loves contest
- Grants:Learning patterns/Organising a Wiki Takes...
Outcomes and impact
- Provide the original project goal here.
- We want to encourage and facilitate the capturing and uploading of photographs of Latvian heritage sites or monuments in September (goal I). On an organisational level, we want to strengthen our organisation (goal IIa), achieve a high media coverage (goal IIb) and anchor our relationship with the different collaborating organisations (goal IIc). To ensure continuity in our activities towards the user community (goal III).
- Did you achieve your project goal? How do you know your goal was achieved? Please answer in 1 - 2 short paragraphs.
- Goals I, IIa, IIb, IIc and III yes.
- We successfully organised Wiki Loves Monuments in Latvia, we were mentioned at many websites. We worked together with multiple partner organisations, which will get a follow up in 2016.
- Goal III no.
- We imagined great award ceremony with a lot of participants, but because of problem with another competition it was cozy but not so big event.
Progress towards targets and goals
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Get 1.000 uploaded pictures of Latvia heritage sites) (goal I)||3537 pictures.||Target reached|
|Get at least 25 new contributors (goal I)||42 new contributors with no edits on wikimedia projects||Target reached|
|Create of a professional volunteering organising team (goal IIa)||Yes, we had a professional organising team and had good communication towards our partners.||Target reached|
|Amount of mentions in press or other web sites is over 5 (goal IIb)||Yes, we had 12 media (websites) covering the contest.||Target reached|
|Get a commitment (interest) from our partners to take an active part in the WLM 2015 award ceremony (goal IIc)||Yes, our partners supported and sponsored us in various ways.||Target reached|
|Have at least 15 participants at the award ceremony (goal III)||No, 12 participants were present.||Target not reached|
We are trying to understand the overall outcomes of the work being funded across our grantees. In addition to the measures of success for your specific program (in above section), please use the table below to let us know how your project contributed to the Global Metrics. We know that not all projects will have results for each type of metric, so feel free to put "0" where necessary.
- Next to each required metric, list the actual outcome achieved through this project.
- Where necessary, explain the context behind your outcome. For example, if you were funded for an edit-a-thon which resulted in 0 new images, your explanation might be "This project focused solely on participation and articles written/improved, the goal was not to collect images."
For more information and a sample, see Global Metrics.
|1. # of active editors involved||24 persons||participants (uploaders)|
|2. # of new editors||42 persons||participants (uploaders)|
|3. # of individuals involved||70 persons||participants (uploaders) + WMLUG (volunteers) + partners (2 organizations)|
|4a. # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages||674 images||Using the Glamorous tool 674 images have been added to articles so far (615 distinct images), which is 17.39% of all images in the category.|
|4b. # of new images/media uploaded to Wikimedia Commons||3537||3537 pictures have been uploaded in this contest|
|5. # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||0||Wiki Loves Monuments is a photo contest|
|6. Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects||13.2 Gbytes||calculated by VollBot|
- Learning question
- Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
- Yes, more pictures came available for volunteers to write articles about heritage in Latvia.
Option A: How did you increase participation in one or more Wikimedia projects?
- More new users participated in this contest.
Option B: How did you improve quality on one or more Wikimedia projects?
- More pictures with good quality came available.
- WLMLV may indirectly improve quality of Wikimedia projects by making images available for uses in articles/pages.
Option C: How did you increase the reach (readership) of one or more Wikimedia projects?
- More visual information came available
- WLMLV increase readership of Wikimedia Commons
Reporting and documentation of expenditures
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Budgeted total||Currency||Notes|
|1||Part 1: Gift packages for the judges||Gifts for jury||80||80||EUR|
|2||Part 2: Award prizes||Prizes for the uploaders of the winning photos||503.97||500||EUR|
Above costs solely of budget WMF.
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- 1032 EUR
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if PEG is your only funding source)
- 580 EUR
- Total amount spent on this project
- Unknown, external costs are not paid by the project team, but sponsored in kind
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project
- 583.97 EUR
- Are there additional sources that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- Yes, but precise amount is unknown, as those costs are not born by project team. But € 452 is extra sponsored, above the original budget.
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.