Grants:PEG/WM CA/Start Up
- Please note: This page had to be manually created as the template create page button was not functioning on the main grants page
- Legal name of chapter
- Wiki Canada
- Grant contact name
- Alan Walker
- Grant contact user-name or e-mail
- Grant contact title (position)
- Vice President
- Project lead name
- Ray Saintonge
- Project lead user-name or e-mail
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Full project name
- Wikimedia Canada Start-up
- Amount requested (in USD)
- Provisional target start date
- May 1st, 2011
- Provisional completion date
December 31, 2012March 31, 2013
This grant will cover a period of 20 months to cover basic operation costs of Wikimedia Canada. It is intended as basic financial support for key infrastructure while the chapter becomes established and organizes the membership. It is intended to cover the costs of tools needed to facilitate monthly meetings and the annual general meeting. Additionally, there is funding for a small outreach activity at four Canadian medical schools and the opportunity to send a junior director to Wikimania 2011.
- The establishment of the Wikimedia Canada web site as a trusted and well known resource for Canadians to engage the Wikimedia Movement.
- Establishment of a productive relationship between the Wikimedia movement and the Canadian Medical Community through a pilot outreach activity.
- Accessible chapter meetings for a geographically dispersed Canadian population. This is not limited to director meetings, but a strategy for bringing the group together for any collaborative purpose.
- Improved Wikimedia movement awareness and engagement with Canadians.
The Wiki Canada team has identified key objectives necessary for the establishment of a healthy Canadian Chapter. We have chosen to take a targeted marketing approach to reach Canadians. In this way, we will identify target markets and devise a strategic marketing plan to reach these groups. The directors are devising a series of low cost pilot projects to test the markets. The engagement of medical students is one of those projects we hope this grant will fund. Funding will be sought from other organizations to support our other projects, having this first project to work through will enable us to better understand the outcomes of our efforts and provide realistic expectations to funding providers. The basic infrastructure funded by this grant will be the backbone of all projects and is therefore essential to be established quickly. We recognize our application is not as comprehensive as it should be, but we ask for some leeway on this first grant given the organization has no funds and limited experience as a group. For these reasons, we are asking the Wikimedia Foundation to provide the funds to kick start Wikimedia Canada and support our efforts to put key building blocks in place.
Fit to strategy
The following outcomes align with the Wikimedia Foundation's strategic plan to improve quality, increase participation and reach:
- To empower and engage medical students to contribute to Wikipedia, enhancing the freely licensed medical content available to the world.
- To encourage the dissemination of medical knowledge in the community of medicine globally.
- To cultivate the development of Wikimedia Canada leadership recognizing a healthy Canadian chapter furthers achievement of the Wikimedia Foundation mission.
- To Strengthen Wikiproject Medicine, as we believe Wikiprojects are key to the success of quality and breadth of free content.
- Increase the visibility of the Wikimedia projects in the international medical community.
- Promoting the usage of Wikipedia as a medical resource.
- Opportunity for a new chapter to work through a grant application and the related reporting requirements.
Measure of Success
- Feedback from the audience during the out reach presentations.
- Increased visitors and registrations on the Wikimedia.ca chapter web site.
- Increased participation in Wikiproject Medicine.
- Feedback from members regarding their ability to participate in chapter meetings.
- Strategic advice from Wikimedia Foundation staff on promotional items and event organization.
Total Grant $6200.00 USD
- $2000.00 @ $100.00 / month - wikimedia.ca
- $500.00 (2 years) - SSL Certificate for wikimedia.ca, required as the site will collect personal information and handle donations.
- $1200.00 @ $60.00 / month - Teleconference meeting tool (Used for Board, director, outreach and member meetings)
- $1000.00 Promotional items & office supplies (cheques, business cards and other swag)
- $1500.00 Medical student outreach (Travel costs for medical doctor director to reach Ontario universities and present)