Grants talk:PEG/WM CA/Start Up
We would like to make some changes to this grant:
- 1. We would like to extend the end date from Dec 31, 2012 to March 31, 2013.
- This will allow us time to prepare our next grant and have bridge funding to support our Wikimedia Canada web server that is used for all our projects and internal communications.
- 2. Reallocate some surplus funds to spend up to $200.00 for 2013 to secure a post office box service for all corporate/chapter mail.
- We were previously using a board members residence, but they moved in late 2012 and we want to avoid the risk of lost mail in future. As well, we have two board members in Montreal and wish to give them both access to the mail, providing redundancy if one is unavailable.
- 3. Extend the Internet server funding for 3 months for a total cost of $300.00.
- We had some issues with our grant application in Q4 2012 and were unable to prepare a better grant application and now face the risk of having to shut down our server. As discussed, we hope this extra time will give us the opportunity to submit a better grant application.
A PDF Financial report has been sent to the grants e-mail address at Wikimedia.org. In short, we have an estimated budget surplus of 1790.57 presently. After these changes it would be 1290.57. This figure has not been adjusted for currency conversion, but generally the USD is on par the CAD. 19:12, 14 January 2013 (UTC)
Reallocation of surplus to pay 2011 tax filing cost
We would like to propose approximately $300.00 USD be re-allocated to pay the fee for having a professional chartered accountant file our corporate income tax. We provide the following points as justification for this cost:
1) In Canada, all non-profit organizations are required to file a tax return to the Canada Revenue Agency ("CRA"), even if there is no taxes payable. Compliance with the CRA is critical as it is also the CRA that ultimately decides whether to grant WMCA charity status.
2) The accountant who files this tax return is a Chartered Accountant with Beckett Lowden Read LLP. Chartered Accountants are widely recognized as the highest standard for financial reporting in Canada. Therefore, having a reputable, professional accountant file our tax return gives us assurance that it is done properly.
3) Beckett Lowden Read has extensive experience working with charity organizations. It's beneficial for us to build a relationship with this firm because once WMCA obtains charity status and starts to handle higher volume transactions, this firm has experience dealing with more complex accounting.
It is also worth mentioning, the usual minimum fee for this service is $1500.00, but the firm offered us a reduced rate in support of our cause.
Report past due
This report is now past due. It was due 3 months after the extended completion date, or by 30 June 2013. Please submit it immediately and send receipts to grantsadmin at wikimedia dot org.
WMCA is currently out of compliance with Grants Program requirements and will not be eligible to receive further grants until this report is resolved. Please find instructions for submitting a report here: Grants:Index/Submit_report. Let us know if we may answer any questions about the reporting process.