Grants:PEG/WM CZ/Mediagrant II/Report/2015-01
- Interim report accepted
- To read the approved grant submission describing the plan for this project, please visit Grants:PEG/WM CZ/Mediagrant II.
- You may still comment on this report on its discussion page.
- Please visit Grants:PEG/WM CZ/Mediagrant II/Report to comment on or read the final report.
- You are welcome to Email grants at wikimedia dot org at any time if you have questions or concerns about this report.
- Are you complying with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Do you expect this project to be completed by the date specified in the approved grant submission?
- Did you use any of the grant funds?
Activities and lessons learned
Systematic photographic documentation of the Czech Republic – the participants are asked to choose a local area lacking photo documentation, make a plan of places to cover, and take a journey, photographing possibly everything planned plus any other objects discovered on the way. In the first six months of 2015 the number of pictures uploaded to Commons has grown again. As of 1 July, there were 246 journeys with 31,077 photos taken of 2,370 objects, each of which now has an article with a photograph (photographs) at Wikipedia. The photographs are also used in lists of cultural, natural and Jewish monuments and frequently appear in other language mutations.
Buildings in the village/settlement of Peklo, Central Bohemia.
Presentation of a helicopter airdrop at Cihelna 2014 C2, Králíky, Ústí nad Orlicí District.
Ethnographical Museum – Musaion.
Gravestones in the Jewish cemetery in the town of Úsov, Šumperk District.
- What lessons were learned that may help others succeed in similar projects, or that may change the way you are doing this project?
- What went well, or is going well?
Czech people’s interest in photographing is immense and the coverage of areas is growing , also thanks to the social media where some of the topics try popularize their subject.
As a slight change in the grant rules has made it possible for photographers to make journeys combining various topics so that the area is covered completely, the finances are spent more wisely and the time is used more efficiently. Consequently, although some topics report just a few or no journeys at all, they have received a considerable number of photographs taken during journeys done within more attractive topics.
Topic maps of “pins” at Google Earth maps have made it possible to get an easy overview of covered and uncovered areas and to plan the journey quickly.
- What did not go well, or is not going well?
More work needs to be done on making the participants take and upload high quality photographs although a guideline page created at Wikipedia shows clearly what pictures are acceptable and what to take into account when taking a photograph. This is also an important part of the programme at the regular photographic workshops.
- From your answers above, do you plan to change anything you are doing as your project continues?
More topic maps are in the process of development so we hope they will also contribute to meeting the needs of the photographers and thus to receiving a greater number of good photographs.
Also, we feel it is necessary to make all topics have clear rules as some have not clarified them enough.
Outcomes and impact
- Provide the original project goal here.
- The goal of "Mediagrant II" is to continue with the activities of Mediagrant as primary target and maintain and further develop existing community of photographers as our second objective.
- Do you expect to reach your project's goal? Why or why not?
- Yes, because a lot of people from outside the chapter are interested in this project.
Progress towards targets and goals
Measures of success
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Continue to attract new participants||20 unique people took part in this part of the program, 7 of them newbies to the project.|
|Each year, create ~8000 pictures of previously undocumented sights||31,077 pictures were uploaded by participants.|
|Document 75% of Czech protected areas during the two-years time period||69.2 % (242 new protected areas were documented)||New protected areas has been proclaimed.|
|Photograph 500 "objects" (towns and villages) during the two-years time period||2,070 objects (towns and villages) were already documented|
|Maintain - and develop - the existing photographic communities both online (Facebook) and in real life (during workshops).||A successful workshop was organized in Přibyslav, leading to 900 uploaded pictures of a previously poorly documented area. Second workshop was organized in Pelhřimov with 890 uploaded pictures.|
- Provide an overall assessment of how your project is going according to these measures.
The table below is a breakdown of the photographic achievements in the long-term 'topics' that we currently offer:
|Objects||Photographs||Expenditures CZK (claimed)||Paid out CZK|
|České zoologické zahrady||Czech Zoos||1||4||47||545||382 (10 €)|
|Foto českých obcí||Documentation of Czech Municipalities including the smallest ones||192||2,070||24,318||126,414||105,896 (3 890 €)|
|Lidová tvořivost||Folk craft||4||19||1177||4,987||4,887 (180 €)|
|Obrazová dokumentace chráněných území a památných stromů v ČR||Documentation of protected Natural Areas and Memorable Trees in the Czech Republic||42||242||4,731||23,324||11,482 (420 €)|
|Odborná fotografie||Scientific Photography||3||14||514||3,341||1,253 (50 €)|
|Události||Documentation of important events in the Czech Republic||3||12||206||3,256||3,256 (120 €)|
|Vodstvo||Water bodies of the Czech Republic||0||0||0||0||0|
|Židovské památky||Documentation of Jewish monuments in the Czech Republic||1||9||84||936||936 (30 €)|
|Summary||246||2,370||31,077||162,802||128,101 (4 670 €)|
- There will always be some difference between “Expenditures” and “Paid out” because there is always a time delay between recording expenditures into tracker and supporting them by documents and approving them (particularly at the end of year). The second reason for this is that a few expenditures were decided not be approved in full extent.
- The amounts in EUR was rounded so the summary amounts should not correspond.
- While doing this project, have you decided to track any other measures of success not listed in your grant submission? If so, please list them here.
- NO (for January to June 2015, period of this report)
Remember that you will need to report on Global Metrics in your final report.
Remember that you will need to report on your project's impact on WMF's mission and strategic goals in your final report.
We are encouraging new volunteers to start improving Wikimedia projects, especially by uploading multimedia files. We are building a stable community of Czech photographers.
Reporting and documentation of expenditures
This section describes the grant's use of funds
The receipts are available to the grantmaking team at our online tracker.
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here here.
- These expenses should be listed in the same format as the budget table in your approved submission so that anyone reading this report may be able to easily compare budgeted vs. actual expenses.
- Note that variances in the project budget over 10% per expense category must be approved in advance by Project and Event Grants program staff. For all other variances, please provide an explanation in the table below.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Budgeted total||Currency||Notes|
|1||Travel reimbursement||Travel expenses for the participants||-||-||-||4,701||3,500||EUR||See "measures of success" for a breakdown|
|2.1||Equipment||Maintenance of currently owned cameras||-||-||-||80||220||EUR|
|2.2||Equipment||New photographic equipment||-||-||-||0||1,400||EUR||This expense is expected for the later part of the grant term.|
|3.1||Workshops||Weekend workshops||-||2||-||1,111||1,200||EUR||See "measures of success" for a breakdown|
|4.1||Administration||Accountancy||-||-||-||95||792||EUR||Our grant administrator currently serves both this grant and Presentation and Outreach. In the year 2014, she is reimbursed from the latter, next year, she is going to be paid from Mediagrant - for simplicity reasons.|
|4.2||Administration||Other expenses||-||-||-||141||130||EUR||Includes print toner and minor stationery.|
- Total amount spent on this project so far (with currency)
- 168,600.50 CZK (approx. 6,130 €)
- Total amount of WMF grant funds spent on this project so far (with currency)
- 168,600.50 CZK (approx. 6,130 €)
- Based on your spending, will you need to request any changes to your budget? If you do, please see the guidelines for requesting changes to your budget.