- Legal name of organization or individual requesting this grant
- Wikimedia México
- For organizations: Are you a for-profit entity? No
- For organizations: If non-profit (US) or equivalent (outside the US) status is available in your country, do you have or are you pursuing such status (please be specific): The legal recognition in México will be Civil Association (Asociación Civil).
- Grant contact name
- Iván Martínez / Salvador Alcántar Morán
- Grant contact username or email
- galaver [at] gmail [dot] com / salvador1983 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Grant contact title (position)
- Board President / Board member
- Project lead name
- Iván Martínez
- Project lead username or email
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Board President
- Full project name
- Start-up Grant
- Amount requested in USD or local currency (USD will be assumed if no other currency is specified)
- $110,573 MXN ($7626 USD)
- Provisional target start date
- July 2012
- Provisional completion date
- July 2013
|Units||Cost per unit
|Equipment and spendables|
|Other office supplies||X||X||3000||207|
|Renewal of wikimedia.mx site (3 year, first donated)||1||2,000||2,000||138|
|Hosting (Basic: 20 GB, 3 years)||1||1,200||1,200||82.75|
|Legalization of bylaws with a notary. ||1||19,000||19,000||1,310|
|Opening of a bank account||1||1,000||1,000||69|
|Accountability consultant honorary for monthly declarations.||12||1,200||14,400||993|
|Accountability consultant honorary for annual tax returns.||1||1,200||1,200||82.75|
|Parcel to be sent to the WMF (Chapter Agreement and Bylaws)||1||
|Package of business cards for Board members, spokesman, and legal stationery (letterheads, envelopes, folders)||8||300||2,400||165.5|
|Outreach and projects|
|Promotional material: T-shirts for chapter members, contests and Student Clubs in UNAM, ITAM, UAM and Colmex||120||60||7,200||496.5|
|Promotional material: buttons and pins with WMMX and/or Wikipedia logos||500||6||3,000||207|
|Promotional material: pens and office supplies with Wikimedia Mexico logos||X||X||2,000||138|
|Printing of “Bienvenido a Wikipedia” promotionals.||5,000||2.40||12,000||827.5|
|Round trip between Mérida and Mexico City for Board member. Mandatory to sign the bylaws.||1||4,500||4,500||310|
|Round trip between Guadalajara and Mexico City. Mandatory to sign the bylaws.||1||2,000||2,000||137|
- For accountability issues we prefer our national currency (mexican pesos, MXN).
- It is important to know that Mexican fiscal year ends with calendar year namely 31th December.
- Exchange rate: 1 USD = 14.50 MXN (June-2012)
- Includes registrations at SRE (Foreign Ministry), Taxes, Trade Public Registry and Industrial Property.
- In Mexico it is mandatory to make and send every month a partial tax return.
- Also, it is mandatory to prepare a total tax return every year in April.
The project goal is to get the legal recognition to Wikimedia México as a non profit association by Mexican laws. And continue the development of projects started since 2011 during 2012 and 2013.
Project scope and list of activities
These projects follow the strategy of the chapter along three five areas where Wikimedia Mexico will focus in the following years:
- Educational efforts: support to Wikipedia Student Clubs, pilot program with NCCEP Mexico partnership for Wikipedia en el aula and diffusion trough first schools classrooms.
- Indigenous languages: Development of Wikipedia in Maya, Totonac, Wixarika (Huichol) and support for the creation of Wikipedias, Wikisource and Wiktionaries in other aboriginal/endangered languages spoken in Mexico.
- GLAM projects: continuation of projects worked with cultural institutions.
- Catalyst Community Project: support for the expansion of Wikimedia Mexico members and participants in the Wikimedia movement in the country.
- Promote of Wikimedia philosophy and goals and Free Knowledge initiatives.
- Get the Wikimedia México recognition as a non profit legal association in Mexico.
- Get better participation of Mexican states within the chapter.
- Promote partnerships with cultural and educative areas in our country.
- Create and develop new Wikipedias in indigenous languages (Náhuatl, Maya and Totonaco).
- Improve Wikimedia movement awareness and engagement in Mexico.
- Ensure the good use of Wikimedia logos and marks.
Fit to strategy
- Increase participation: we want to create a real national chapter with participation from people of all over the country, including people from states of the Mexican Republic.
- Increase reach: we want to stay involved with the educational and scholar communities with whom we have contact for supporting access to free knowledge.
- Improve quality: We have been in contact with cultural institutions and universities to establish cooperation agreements that can improve the quality of Wikimedia projects and allow the release of documents and archives to the public domain.
We expect to get more media attention with our projects, and encourage more organizations to collaborate with the organization.
Measures of success
- Establishment of Wikimedia México as a successful non-profit corporation under Mexican law.
- Agreements with cultural and educational institutions.
- Increase participation in the Maya, Totonac and Wixaritari Wikipedia at Incubator and its release as an official projects.