Grants:PEG/WM PH/Wiki Loves Monuments 2013
- 1 Basic information
- 2 Goals and measures of success
- 3 Project scope and activities
- 4 Budget and resources
- 5 Impact
- Official project name
- Wiki Loves Monuments Philippines 2013
- Project start date (include month, day, and year)
- September 1, 2013
- Project completion date (include month, day, and year)
- January 15, 2014
- Please describe the project in 1–2 sentences
- The project is part of the global Wiki Loves Monuments initiative taking place on the whole month of September. It aims to gather freely licensed images of the various heritage sites in the Philippines that is aimed at using it in Wikipedia.
- Currency requested
- Philippine Pesos
- Amount requested in currency requested
₱ 316,000 ₱ 302,000₱ 280,000
- Equivalent amount in US$ on the date of this submission
US$ 7,350 US$ 7,025US$ 6,515
- List the exchange rate used to calculate the amount listed in US$
- ₱43 ≈ $1 based on Central Bank of the Philippines
See the eligibility requirements for more information.
- What is the official name of the organization requesting this grant?
- Wikimedia Philippines
- Are you an organization, an individual, or an individual submitting on behalf of a group?
- Answer ORGANIZATION, INDIVIDUAL, or GROUP.
- Are you a for-profit entity?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Are you able to provide local proof of nonprofit status within your country?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Does your organization currently employ any fulltime or part-time staff or contractors?
- Answer YES or NO.
- If you answered YES, please indicate how many. You may use fractions or percentages for part-time staff if appropriate.
- If yes, please provide a list of their job functions, or a link to your organization's staff page, if it lists all employees and contractors employed or engaged by your organization.
- Primary contact name
- Eugene Villar
- Primary contact username or email
- eugene at wikimedia dot org dot ph
- Primary contact title (position within the organization)
If this project will be executed by someone other than the primary contact for your organization, please list that person's details here:
- Project lead name
- Jenna Delos Reyes
- Project lead username or email
- jenna dot delos dot reyes at wikimedia dot org dot ph
- Project lead title (position), if any
Goals and measures of success
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful.
- Project goal
- The goal of this project is to produce freely licensed images of heritage sites of the Philippines that will be uploaded in Wikimedia Commons and be part of the global Wiki Loves Monuments project initiative. Continuously build up the data base of National Historical Landmarks and cultural properties of the Philippines in Wikipedia by adding the images gathered in the contest.
Measures of success
Please provide a list of measurable criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is.
- Measures of success
- This project will be considered successful if we will:
- have as much as 3,000 freely-licensed images of heritage sites in the Philippines.
Project scope and activities
This section describes what will happen if this project is funded. Who will do what, and when?
- List of activities
The GLAM Philippines project team primarily composed of Roel Balingit, Jenna Delos Reyes, Emman Ramirez (all Board members) and Johannes Bernardo will be behind the implementation of the project.
- August 15–31
- General preparation for the uploading period. Coordination with the National Historical Commission of the Philippines to the updating of the list of heritage sites in the Philippines. Updating of the project website: www.wikilovesmonuments.ph and the project page on Wikimedia Commons.
- September 1–30
- Uploading campaign. Newspaper advertisement on September 8 and 22. Series of preparations will also be made to prepare for the awarding ceremonies and other paraphernalia that will be needed. Judges will also be identified during the period.
- October 1–31
- Judging Period:
- Qualifying round. The project team will identify and sort out all entries to include monuments which are not in the official list of monuments but are considered cultural heritage monuments according to the Philippine Cultural Heritage Law of 2009.
- Eliminations round. A five to six member jury, at least three of whom are professional photographers, while the rest are from the project team will select the Top 50 entries from all qualified photos.
- Final round.' Three professional photographers different from those who participated in the Eliminations Round will comprise the Final Jury, a representative from the National Historical Commission of the Philippines and a Wikipedian will comprise the Final Jury.
- October 31
- Submission of entries to the International Wiki Loves Monuments competition.
- November 1–15
- Final preparation for the awarding ceremonies either on November 16 or 23 depending on the availability of venues.
- December 1–31
- Project evaluation. Preparation of report.
Budget and resources
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here.
Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
- Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Prizes||Cash prizes||–||–||–||PHP||Cash prizes:
|2||Prizes||Trophies/Certificates||–||–||–||PHP||First to third placers will receive trophies, similar to the 2012 edition, other winners will receive certificates. The three trophies will more or less cost ₱10,000 ($230). The trophy is made of local white Romblon marble and digitally engraved. A metal plate is attached to it to mark (the first place, second place and third place winners).|
|3||Prizes||Photobook Souvenir||–||–||–||30,000 ($698)||PHP||Photobook will be created that will feature the best entries of the 2013 WLM Philippines.|
|4||Judging||Meals/Meeting||–||–||–||PHP||There will be three rounds of judging: qualifying, eliminations and finals. In 2012, the same method was used which had different sets of judges at every round, this hastened the entire judging process and winners were awarded 20 days after the end of the uploading period.|
|5||Judging||Honoraria/Tokens||–||–||–||PHP||The judges will be given tokens/gifts for their help in the selection of winning entries. Up to 15 judges may be tapped for the entire selection process.|
|6||Awarding ceremony||Food catering||pax||–||–||50,000 ($1,163)||PHP||Similar to 2012, it is planned to be a formal awarding ceremony.|
|7||Awarding ceremony||Venue rental||–||–||–||20,000 ($465)||PHP|
|8||Awarding ceremony||Lighting/audio equipment, video coverage||–||–||–||PHP|
|9||Awarding ceremony||Gallery of finalists||–||–||–||10,000 ($233)||PHP||This item includes printing of the finalist entries on sintra boards, or whichever for that may be deemed appropriate to exhibit them depending on the venue.|
|10||Project management||Project management||–||–||–||15,000 ($349)||PHP||All associated or incidental expenses related to the planning, execution of the project will be charged to this item, including allowances, transportation, food, communications expenses that may be used.|
|11||Project management||Volunteer stipend||–||–||–||10,000 ($233)||PHP||The project team will be needing volunteers who will serve to carry equipment, set-up the venue, run errands for sourcing of materials, perform during the awarding ceremony, etc.|
|12||Project management||Supplies||–||–||–||3,000 ($70)||PHP||The project team will be needing volunteers who will serve to carry equipment, set-up the venue, run errands for sourcing of materials, perform during the awarding ceremony, etc.|
|13||Project management||Contingency||–||–||–||10,000 ($233)||PHP||Any unanticipated expenses necessary for the project will be charged to this fund.|
- Total cost of project
₱ 316,000 ($7,350) ₱ 302,000 ($7,025)₱ 280,000 ($6,515)
- Total amount requested from the WMF Grants Program
₱ 316,000 ($7,350) ₱ 302,000 ($7,025)₱ 280,000 ($6,515)
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
See a description of nonfinancial assistance available. Please inform Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
- Requests for non-financial assistance
This section is optional. It may be used to highlight the potential grantee's potential for successfully executing this project.
- The organizing team will primarily be composed of the Project Team in charge of the WLM Philippines 2012 with Jenna Delos Reyes (project lead), Emman Ramirez (assistant project lead), Roel Balingit (international coordination, documentation), Johannes Bernardo (promotions). The Board of Wikimedia Philippines has already endorsed the participation of the chapter for the second time in Wiki Loves Monuments as shown by this resolution. The team will also be soliciting the help of volunteers to help it sort out entries and prepare for the awarding activities.
- Evidence of past success in executing similar projects: Please see the 2012 Report
- We were able to organize in 2012 despite not having any experience in holding the event. This year provides us sufficient experience to learn from our lessons in the past edition of the event.
- We have worked with a group of volunteer photographers who can help us with the preliminary judging of entries.
In the sections below, please describe how the project is related to the Wikimedia mission and Wikimedia's strategic priorities.
Fit to strategy
- How will this project support the key organizational objectives of
- increasing reach (more people will access or contribute to Wikipedia or our other projects),
- participation (more people actually contributing),
- quality (more content, more useful content, or higher-quality content),
- credibility (more trust in our projects),
- organizational maturity and effectiveness (how it will move you or the Wikimedia community forward),
- or financial sustainability (how it will help you achieve more in the long run)?
- This statement should address at least one of the strategic priorities listed here specifically. See WMF Grants Program criteria for decisionmaking.
- Increasing reach
- Participants will upload their images to Wikimedia Commons, while other Wikipedia editors who continuously update the Lists of Cultural Properties of the Philippines in Wikipedia would be able to attach better photographs to the list.
- Similar to the 2012 edition, we have seen several accounts created in order to participate in the contest.
- Better images of different cultural heritage sites are expected to be generated by the contest as already shown by the 2012 edition of Wiki Loves Monuments in the Philippines.
- If the project will benefit a specific online community, please tell us.
- The project will directly benefit Wikimedia Commons as thousands of images are expected to be uploaded to the site. It will also serve as pool of ready images to be attached to Wikipedia articles in any language.
- Please provide a brief statement about how the project is related to other work in the Wikimedia movement. For example, does the project fit into a work area such as GLAM, education, organizational development, editor retention, or outreach?
- This project is one of the offshoot projects of the GLAM program and is held in several countries.
- If successful, will the project have the potential to be replicated successfully by other individuals, groups, or organizations? Please explain how in 1–2 sentences.
- The project is a repeat of the 2012 edition of Wiki Loves Monuments, which was replicated from the original Wiki Loves Monuments contest first held in the Netherlands in 2010.
- Please list other benefits to the movement here.
- PLACEHOLDER TEXT