- Did you comply with the requirements specified by WMF in the grant agreement?
- Is your project completed?
Activities and lessons learned
- Provide a detailed list of activities performed to complete this project, descriptions of these activities, and the amount of time spent on each activity. This section should also include a list of participants, or a link to pictures, blog posts, or videos from the project or event.
I. Equipment and spendables
- Date: Q2:2014
- Type of activity: External
- Place: California [US]
- Participation: Board of Wikimedia Venezuela
- Summary/report: Bought of Multi-function printer, Ink cartridges for printer, Projector, Portable computers (x3) and NetBooks Backpacks (x3)
II. Outreach and projects
- Date: Q2:2014
- Type of activity: External [Photo Contest, Translate edit-a-thon]
- Place: Venezuela
- Participation: Wikimedia Venezuela, Local volunteers
- Summary/report: The launch of the photography competition Wikivoyage Contest 2014 (In the competition 14,236 photographs were received) and the first round of the Edit-a-thon Translate 2014 (In the first round of the competition 8 articles were created)
III. Internal meetings
- Date: Q4:2014
- Type of activity: Internal [Members Ordinary Meeting - WMVE Conference]
- Place: Venezuela
- Participation: Board, members and Affiliates of Wikimedia Venezuela
- Summary/report: The third Members Ordinary Meeting of Wikimedia Venezuela, A.C.
- What lessons were learned that may help others succeed in similar projects?
- Due to strict exchange controls in our country, it was very difficult to get the grant funds. Besides that, it was our first experience with solo projects WMF. All this left us two lessons:
- 1.- Focus in small, but significant projects and not in the money (like we did).
- 2.- We must have backup plans when a project is "out of control" and design more clearly the actions to take after finishing a project
- Consider the following questions and respond with 1 - 2 paragraphs.
- What went well?
- The implementation of Wikipedia in the classroom with the help of some new partnerships like high school and college teachers
- Implementation of an effective method of communication for our events: a combined strategy (Central Auth + Social Networking + radio interviews) was used for our photo contest, with high impact results
- What did not go well?
- Our human capital (the volunteers) are really scarce, we lost a few partners. However, in this year we'd more affiliate than the last one
- What would you do differently if you planned a similar project?
- The main consensus is to downsize some of the objectives to try to match more realistic goals.
The following learning patterns applied to the design and/or implementation of this project:
- Calculating global metrics
- Let the media know
- Use social media for promotion
- Use advanced site notice to promote events
- Contest prizes that motivate
- Recruiting contest judges
- Adapt Wiki Loves contests to prevent burnout
- Choosing an education program model
- New users are afraid of doing something wrong
- Hosting a successful Hangout
Outcomes and impact
- Provide the original project goal here.
- "The objective of this grant is to cover the main projects and administration that will be developed by Wikimedia Venezuela in 2014 and pay off accounts payable generated by some projects, contracted services and legal processes in 2013."
- Did you achieve your project goal? How do you know your goal was achieved? Please answer in 1 - 2 short paragraphs.
- Yes, we achieve it! We administrate the chapter as an official non-profit association under Venezuelan law, we have no debts and we make collaboratorrs inside and outside the country
Progress towards targets and goals
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|More than 2,000 photographs (Wikiviajes por Venezuela 2014)||Yes (+ 14.000)||In 2013 we had a modest participation in Wiki Loves Monuments 2013 with 900 pictures, we decided to set the goal of having a contest that would double this participation (1800-2000), and by far exceeded this goal.|
|First edit-a-thon of Wikimedia Venezuela (Translate Venezuela)||Yes||By the time we wrote the grant had not made any edit-a-thon contest. Translate Venezuela was our first experience of this kind, which convinced us to conduct similar events in 2015.|
|User retention from the events||No||Although we had a massive participation in one of the events (WikiViajes por Venezuela 2014), user retention was quite low after the finalization of the event.|
We are trying to understand the overall outcomes of the work being funded across our grantees. In addition to the measures of success for your specific program (in above section), please use the table below to let us know how your project contributed to the Global Metrics. We know that not all projects will have results for each type of metric, so feel free to put "0" where necessary.
- Next to each required metric, list the actual outcome achieved through this project.
- Where necessary, explain the context behind your outcome. For example, if you were funded for an edit-a-thon which resulted in 0 new images, your explanation might be "This project focused solely on participation and articles written/improved, the goal was not to collect images."
For more information and a sample, see Global Metrics.
|1. # of active editors involved||861||# of users involved, new usernames created and old users included.|
|2. # of new editors||753||New registered users in Wikimedia Commons for Wikiviajes por Venezuela 2014.|
|3. # of individuals involved||950||I do not remember where you get that.. (Wikimetrics)|
|4a. # of new images/media added to Wikimedia articles/pages||0||We could not find a value for this.|
|4b. Number of new media uploaded to Wikimedia Commons.||14.217||# of images uploaded to Wikimedia Commons.|
|5. # of articles added or improved on Wikimedia projects||26||# of items created for Translate Wikipedia 2014|
|6. Absolute value of bytes added to or deleted from Wikimedia projects||18.549.414||Total of bytes added, per # of items created or modified for Translate Wikipedia 2014 and images uploaded to Wikimedia Commons.|
- Learning question
- Did your work increase the motivation of contributors, and how do you know?
R: Yes, of course. One of the motivations that were used was the awards to the winners of the various competitions. The competitions held in 2014 (wikivoyage by Venezuela and Translate) allowed to increase public awareness of the existence of a local chapter and helped to publicize the objectives and mission of encouraging culture in the country and editing Wikipedia. This resulted in a series of proposals and projects that have been developing and specifying in in 2015 in different schools in the country. In summary, the 2014 local impact of competitions allowed wikivoyage exposure until then had not had as local chapter.
Option A: How did you increase participation in one or more Wikimedia projects?
Local participation by new users was increased, especially in Commons, and to a much lesser extent in Wikipedia. The measurements of the long-term involvement of the users was difficult to obtain, but we consider that the actual retention of users who participated in the contests was pretty low, based on the low edit count of those users in the following months.
Option B: How did you improve quality on one or more Wikimedia projects?
With over 14,000 images uploaded to Commons during the contest Wikiviajes por Venezuela, we are confident that the overall quality of this project was increased considerably by expanding largely the available content of the nature, culture and local cuisine of the country.
Option C: How did you increase the reach (readership) of one or more Wikimedia projects?
The use of the geo-localized sitenotice (like banners) was quite appealing to many users who did not know of a project like Commons (even if they knew about Wikipedia).
Reporting and documentation of expenditures
This section describes the grant's use of funds
- Did you send documentation of all expenses paid with grant funds to grants at wikimedia dot org, according to the guidelines here? Answer "Yes" or "No".
- Please list all project expenses in a table here, with descriptions and dates. Review the instructions here.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Budgeted total||Currency||Notes|
|1||Equipment and spendables||Multi-function printer||1||1||149.99||149.99||150.00||USD|
|2||Equipment and spendables||Ink cartridges for printer||1||12||12.36||148.43||156.00||USD|
|3||Equipment and spendables||VideoBeam (projector)||1||1||62.3||62.30||330.00||USD|
|4||Equipment and spendables||Laptop||1||3||469.67||1409.67||2000.00||USD|
|5||Equipment and spendables||Provision for shippings||1||1||614.80||614.80||500.00||USD||Cost of the shipment from California. trough Miami. to Caracas|
|6||Outreach and projects||III Annual General Meeting||1||1||n/a||1304.05||1070.00||USD||Including expenses of travel. food and accommodation|
|7||Outreach and projects||Travel expenses for the workshop "Indigenous Languages of Colombia"||1||1||200.00||USD||Travel expenses for Leo Fernández. participant in the workshop Indigenous Languages of Colombia|
|8||Administration||Register of assembly minute year 2014||1||1||n/a||44.00||44.00||USD|
|9||Administration||Domains renewal 1 year: wikimedia.org.ve||1||1||38||38.00||38.00||USD|
|10||Administration||Packages of business cards||1||5||25||125.00||125.00||USD|
|11||Outreach and projects||Payment of Photo Contest's first price||300.00||300.00||USD|
|12||Outreach and projects||Payment of Photo Contest's second price||200.00||200.00||USD|
|13||Administration||Total Currency Transaction's Charges||223.75||USD|
|#||#||#||#||#||#||4819.99||4913.00||USD||Difference of USD 93.01(1.89%)|
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- USD 13,724.21
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if PEG is your only funding source)
- USD 13,724.21
- Total amount spent on this project
- USD 4,819.99
- Total amount of Project and Event grant funds spent on this project
- USD 4,819.99
- Are there additional sources that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- Are there any grant funds remaining?
- Answer YES or NO.
- Please list the total amount (specify currency) remaining here. (This is the amount you did not use, or the amount you still have after completing your grant.)
- USD 8,901.22 (Clarification from WMF: of the approved US$13,224.71 for this grant project, only US$7,000 was disbursed. Please see discussion page for more information.)
- If funds are remaining they must be returned to WMF, reallocated to mission-aligned activities, or applied to another approved grant.
- Please state here if you intend to return unused funds to WMF, submit a request for reallocation, or submit a new grant request, and then follow the instructions on your approved grant submission.
- We make a new grant request