This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Organization name or Wikimedia Username for individuals. (required)
- Wikimedia MA User Group
- Do you have any approved General Support Fund requests? (required)
- Yes, I have already applied and received a General Support Fund
- You are applying as a(n). (required)
- Wikimedia Affiliate (chapter, thematic org., or user group)
- Are your group or organization legally registered in your country? (required)
- Do you have a fiscal sponsor?
- Fiscal organization name.
- Association du Réseau Marocain de Developpement de la Lecture
- 1. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be a title for the Meta-Wiki page. (required)
- Wikimedia MA Multi Annual Grant 2024-2026
- 2. Do you want to apply for the multi-year funding or renewal process? (required)
- Yes, multi-year funding with similar program, budget, and structure every year (strategic plan can be provided but is not required)
- 2.1. For how many years of multi-year funding are you applying? (required)
- 3 years
- 2.2. Provide a brief overview of Year 2 and Year 3 of the proposed plan and how this relates to the current proposal and your strategic plan? (required)
Years 2 and 3 are planned to be the natural continuation of our programs, where we can take advantage of our experience and skills gained during year 1, to build on it and achieve more results. For example, in the education project, our target in year 1 is 1000 registered teachers, 300 taking the course, and 100 with certificates. In year 2, with the same resources, we plan to have 2000 registered teachers, 600 taking the course, and 200 certified.
- 3. Proposed start date. (required)
- 4. Proposed end date. (required)
- 5. Does your organization or group have an Affiliate or Organizational Annual Plan that can help us understand your proposal? If yes, please provide it. (required)
- Organizational Plan for Wikimedia Morocco (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hwJHKtUizBuTLv1s_Z5-Tb1qRcBluhiKu49_6zhCw4g/edit)
- 6. Does your affiliate, organization or group have a Strategic Plan that can help us understand your proposal? If yes, please provide it. (required)
- 7. Where will this proposal be implemented? (required)
- 8. What are your programs, approaches, and strategies? What are the challenges that you are trying to address and how will your strategies support you in addressing these challenges? (required)
- Programs: (for more details about the programs please read our annual plan :https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hwJHKtUizBuTLv1s_Z5-Tb1qRcBluhiKu49_6zhCw4g/edit)
- Teacher Training Program: A significant focus of Wikimedia Morocco for 2024 is the teachers' training program under the Reading Wikipedia in the Classroom (RWC) initiative. This program aims to equip teachers with the skills to use Wikipedia as an educational tool.
- Technical Projects (Wiki MA): These projects aim to support Wikimedia MA User Group editors by automating repetitive tasks and providing useful and targeted feedback.
- Communication and Outreach: This program aims to attract and retain volunteers through targeted communication, community management, periodic meetings, and edit-a-thons.
- Podcast Initiatives: This is an ongoing program to create awareness and engagement using podcasts, featuring local community figures.
- Documentation: Aimed at preserving and promoting under-documented languages and areas, this project will collaborate with local research institutions and universities.
- Contests: Regular content creation contests will be organized to engage current users and attract new ones.
- Training: In-person and online training programs, particularly for teachers.
- Technical Support: Utilizing bots and automated tools to enhance content quality and editor productivity.
- Community Engagement: Through edit-a-thons, periodic meetings, and other in-person and online events.
- Media Outreach: Podcasts and social media advertising to increase awareness.
- Partnerships: Collaborations with educational institutions and local organizations.
- Grants: Provision of small grants for documentation projects.
- Certifications and Awards: Use of certificates, barnstars, and medals to motivate participation.
- Holistic Teacher Engagement: Not just training the teachers but encouraging them to become knowledge producers through awards and recognitions.
- Data Utilization: Making effective use of previously collected data for better targeting and communication.
- Multi-faceted Outreach: Using personal networks, partnerships with educational institutions, and sponsored social media posts to attract participants.
- Automated Tools: Using bots and other automated tools for repetitive tasks to allow human editors to focus on complex tasks.
- Localized Content: Focus on local languages and niches to increase the breadth and depth of content.
- Sustainability: One of the main challenges is sustaining and expanding the volunteer base.
- Quality Content: Ensuring the quality of articles while also focusing on quantity.
- Local Languages: Preserving and promoting less-documented languages and areas.
- Adoption in Education: Overcoming any resistance or skepticism in educational institutions towards the use of Wikipedia in the classroom.
- Expansion to New Regions: As the program aims to extend its reach, language barriers and cultural differences may pose challenges.
- Strategies for Challenges:
- For Sustainability: The communication and outreach program aims to attract new volunteers.
- For Quality: Technical projects under Wiki MA aim to enhance the quality of editing and content.
- For Local Languages: Documentation projects and partnerships with educational institutions aim to fill this gap.
- For Adoption in Education: The teacher training program aims to equip teachers with the skills and understanding to use Wikipedia effectively.
- For Expansion: Multi-faceted outreach strategies, including local partnerships and targeted advertising, are planned to attract participants from new regions.
- 9. What categories are your main programs and related activities under? Please select all that apply. (required)
|Culture, heritage or GLAM||Yes|
|Gender and diversity||Yes|
|Community support and engagement||Yes|
|Participation in campaigns and contests||Yes|
|Public policy advocacy||No|
- 9.1.1. Select all your programs and activities for Education. (required)
- Wiki Club, Wiki Camp, Reading Wikipedia in the Classroom or other Reading/Evaluating Wikipedia Training, Editing Wikipedia Training
- Other programs and activities if any: N/A
- 9.1.2. Select all relevant audience groups for Education. (required)
- Secondary school students, Vocational, tertiary, or higher education, Teachers or professors
- Other groups if any: N/A
Culture, heritage or GLAM
- 9.2. Select all your programs and activities for Culture, heritage or GLAM. (required)
- Documenting or incubating languages on Wikimedia projects, Partnering with institutions, professional associations, and allied organizations to raise awareness of open culture, ethical sharing, and related issues
- Other programs and activities if any: N/A
Gender and diversity
- 9.3. Select all your programs and activities for Gender and diversity.
- Bringing in women and/or gender diverse participants and editors, Focusing on knowledge equity by bringing in contributors from underrepresented communities, Building organizer skills in women and diversity groups, Fomenting female leadership within the movement (either staff, members or boards)
- Other programs and activities if any: N/A
Community support and engagement
- 9.4. Select all your programs and activities for Community support and engagement.
- On-wiki training of community members, Off-wiki training of community members, Organizing meetups, conferences, and community events, Supporting community members' participation in events and conferences, Offering microgrants and other financial support to community members , Offering non financial support and services to community members (equipment, space, books, etc.)
- Other programs and activities if any: N/A
Participation in campaigns and contests
- 9.5. Select all campaigns that apply. (required)
- Other programs and activities if any: Own Wikimedia Morocco contests.
- 10. Please include a link to or upload a timeline (operational calendar) for your programs and activities. (required)
- Please find a timeline for 2024 activities at this link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UDDuk7aMvq48B4NjdC1Z-Z7HVSxkzNaY2Nqv3R1KP-o/edit#gid=884594223. We expect activities in 2025 and 2026 to be overall similar, and will provide a timeline for them once each of these years comes closer.
- 11. Describe your team. (required)
To work on the implementation of this multi-annual grant, the Wikimedia Morocco User Group has created a team with clearly identified roles and responsibilities, combining both staff and volunteers, to ensure a good distribution of the workload and decisions.
The people working on the implementation will be:
- Main Coordinator - Staff. In this role, the person will be working full time, overseeing the advancement of the activities concerning the timeline and the budget, and reporting to the steering group. Among the tasks performed in this position, the coordinator will follow up, have weekly 1:1 meetings with each project responsible, manage the communication plan, the documentation project, the wiki-camp, and help prepare the reports and annual grants.
- Education project coordinator - Staff. In this capacity, the coordinator will be the main person in charge of implementing upcoming editions of Reading Wikipedia in the Classroom in Morocco, from the pre-project activities until the final report. The coordinator will also work on fostering partnerships with educational stakeholders.
- Education project assistant (Technical) - Staff. Will support the project coordinator in setting up the Wiki Learn platform, assisting in the production of the MOOC, and preparing workshops on information security.
- Education project assistant (Outreach) - Staff. Will support the project coordinator in following up with teachers, school clubs, and external communication and partnerships.
- Communication and outreach officer - Staff. Among the tasks related to this role are: drafting the communication plan, continuous publishing on social media, hosting a podcast, organizing writing contests, and creating tutorials and documentation.
- Technical expert - Staff. Will lead tech-related work, such bots building and local online projects development. In addition to programming and automation activities, the person will be mentoring interested volunteers and supervising two interns.
- Steering group - Volunteers. This group is composed of user group’s board members and representatives of the Reading Network in Morocco board, our partner for this grant. Similarly to previous years, this group will be in permanent contact with the main coordinator for follow-up and support.
- 12. Will you be working with any internal (Wikimedia) or external partners? Describe the characteristics of these partnerships and bring a few examples of the most significant partnerships. (required)
Yes, we will be working with both internal and external partners to achieve our goals and maximize our impact.
- Past Partnerships:
- Reading Network in Morocco (RNM)
- Characteristics: RNM has been our fiscal sponsor since 2022, aiding in organizing multiple training sessions and edit-a-thons.
- Significance: RNM's widespread network across Morocco, resource sharing, and advocacy efforts have significantly expanded our outreach and effectiveness. The partnership is mutually beneficial, aligning with RNM's goal to encourage reading and information sharing.
- Regional Directorate of Education - El Hajeb Region
- Characteristics: Secured a verbal agreement for the use of public venues and access to the region's teachers for activities.
- Significance: It enables us to bring Wikipedia into the educational sector, fostering a local base of contributors and expanding the use of Wikipedia in educational settings.
- Regional Directorate of Education - Moulay Yacoub
- Characteristics: Similar to El Hajeb, the partnership involves organizing training sessions for teachers.
- Significance: This partnership enhances our regional reach, allowing us to tailor our training
programs to the specific needs of different areas.
- Future Partnerships:
- National Library of Morocco
- Characteristics: Co-hosting conferences, digitization of cultural and historical documents.
- Significance: It will help us to reach an academic audience and preserve Moroccan culture digitally.
- Royal Academy of Morocco
- Characteristics: Focus on Moroccan culture and heritage.
- Significance: Given its prestige and broad academic scope, our partnership will lend significant weight to our mutual aims of promoting Moroccan heritage and open knowledge.
- Characteristics: A global partnership focusing on cultural heritage preservation.
- Significance: Collaboration with UNESCO will internationalize our efforts, aligning us with globally recognized best practices in cultural preservation.
- Other Affiliates (The Wikipedia & Education User Group - Arabic-speaking affiliates)
- Characteristics: Organizations synergizing in educational programs, with a focus on expanding the “Reading Wikipedia in the Classroom” project.
- Significance: The collaboration will help scale our educational efforts and share successful models for implementation.
Each of these partnerships brings its own set of unique capabilities, resources, and strengths to the table, thereby enriching our programs and ensuring a broader, more robust impact.
- 13. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select all that apply. (required)
- Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement, Ensure Equity in Decision-making, Coordinate Across Stakeholders, Invest in Skills and Leadership Development, Manage Internal Knowledge, Evaluate, Iterate, and Adapt
- 14. Please select and fill out Wikimedia Metrics for your proposal. (recommended)
- 14.1. Number of participants, editors, and organizers.
All metrics provided are optional, please fill them out if they are aligned with your programs and activities.
|Number of all participants||500||300 professors online - 20 conference participants - 80 edit-a-thon participants - 100 contest participants|
|Number of all editors||150||N/A|
|Number of new editors||30|
|Number of retained editors||10|
|Number of all organizers||15||N/A|
|Number of new organizers||5|
- 14.2. Number of new content contributions to Wikimedia projects. (recommended)
|Wikimedia project||Created||Edited or improved|
|Wikifunctions / Abstract Wikipedia|
- Description for Wikimedia projects contributions metrics. (optional)
- 15. Do you have other quantitative and qualitative targets for your project (other metrics)? (required)
- 16. Will you have any other revenue sources when implementing this proposal (e.g. other funding, membership contributions, donations)? (required)
- 16.1. List other revenue sources. (required)
- 16.2. Approximately how much revenue will you have from other sources in your local currency? (required)
- 17. Your local currency. (required)
- 18. What is the total requested amount in your local currency? (required)
- 3385200 MAD
|Year||Amount (local currency)|
|Year 1||1128400 MAD|
|Year 2||1128400 MAD|
|Year 3||1128400 MAD|
- Requested amount in USD
- 324933 USD [note 1]
|Year||Amount USD [note 1]|
|Year 1||108311 USD|
|Year 2||108311 USD|
|Year 3||108311 USD|
- The following amount in US dollars was calculated by Wikimedia Foundation staff using the fixed currency rates. This amount is approximate and may not reflect the actual currency exchange rates on the day of submission or distribution. If the application is funded, the funding will be sent in the recipient’s local currency.
- 19. Does this proposal include compensation for staff or contractors? (required)
- 19.1. How many paid staff members do you plan to have? (required)
Include the number of staff and contractors during the proposal period. If you have short-term contractors or staff, please include them separately and mention their terms.
- Six employees:
employee one(Main Coordinator) for a period of 12 months (calendar year) - Full Time employee employee two(Education project coordinator) for a period of 12 months (certified trainer). employee three(Communication and outreach officer) for a period of 12 months contractor one (Education project assistant -Outreach) for a period of 8 months (junior role) contractor two(Education project assistant -Technical) for a period of 8 months contractor three (Technical expert) for a period of 6 months
- 19.2. How many FTEs (full-time equivalents) in total? (required)
Include the total FTE of staff and contractors during the proposal period. If you have short-term contractors or staff, please include their FTEs with the terms separately.
- We have calculated that our staff will be working for a total period of 2,75 FTEs, split as follows :
Employee one(Main Coordinator) 1 FTE (full time work for one year) Employee two(Education project coordinator) 0,5 FTE (20 hour per week) Employee three(Communication and outreach officer) 0,5 FTE (20 hour per week) Contractor one (Education project assistant -Outreach) 0,25 FTE (10 hour per week) Contractor two(Education project assistant -Technical) 0,25 FTE (10 hour per week) Contractor three (Technical expert) 0,25 FTE (10 hour per week)
- 19.3. Describe any staff or contractor changes compared to the current year / ongoing General Support Fund if any. (required only for returning grantees)
- 20. Please provide an overview of your overall budget categories in your local currency. The budget breakdown should include only the amount requested with this General Support Fund (required).
|Budget category||Amount in local currency|
|Staff and contactor costs||603000 MAD|
|Operational costs||229200 MAD|
|Programmatic costs||226200 MAD|
- 21. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it. (required)
- 22. In this optional space you can add any other additional information about your proposal or organization that you think can help us when reviewing your proposal. (optional)
Unfortunately fluxx is limiting us in five metrics we have more metrics in our grant. For more information please check this link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1egqvAXMXxaZERrURyX0BANHoaUbpmBR9Cc9VY7ewewM/edit
By submitting your proposal/funding request you agree that you are in agreement with the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and the Universal Code of Conduct.
- Please add any feedback to the grant discussion page only. Any feedback added here will be removed.