This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Organization name or Wikimedia Username for individuals. (required)
- BOLI CHETO THE LANGUAGE AND LIVELIHOOD FOUNDATION
- Do you have any approved General Support Fund requests? (required)
- No, it is my first time applying for a General Support Fund
- You are applying as a(n). (required)
- Nonprofit organization with Wikimedia mission
- Are your group or organization legally registered in your country? (required)
- Do you have a fiscal sponsor?
- Fiscal organization name.
- 1. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be a title for the Meta-Wiki page. (required)
- Indigenous Language revitalization through Wikimedia Movement - A pilot for Gondi and Kolami.
- 2. Do you want to apply for the multi-year funding or renewal process? (required)
- 2.1. For how many years of multi-year funding are you applying? (required)
- 2.2. Provide a brief overview of Year 2 and Year 3 of the proposed plan and how this relates to the current proposal and your strategic plan? (required)
- 3. Proposed start date. (required)
- 4. Proposed end date. (required)
- 5. Does your organization or group have an Affiliate or Organizational Annual Plan that can help us understand your proposal? If yes, please provide it. (required)
- 6. Does your affiliate, organization or group have a Strategic Plan that can help us understand your proposal? If yes, please provide it. (required)
- 7. Where will this proposal be implemented? (required)
- 8. What are your programs, approaches, and strategies? What are the challenges that you are trying to address and how will your strategies support you in addressing these challenges? (required)
As per the Government of Education, India is home to 1600+ mother tongues. India has about 447 established languages and is fourth by most number of languages spoken in a country across the world. And we strongly believe that Building content in Smaller Indian languages is paramount to conserve and develop these languages.
About Boli Cheto
BOLI CHETO THE LANGUAGE AND LIVELIHOOD FOUNDATION (hereafter referred to as Boli Cheto) is a non-profit organization registered as a Section 8 non-profit company with the Ministry of Corporate Affairs, India.
Boli Cheto is a word adapted from two indigenous languages of India. Boli = Language(in Garhwali language of Uttarakhand) and Cheto = Awakening/Jagriti (in Adilabadi Gondi of Telangana)
Boli Cheto is a non-profit organization headquartered in Telangana, India. Our mission is to promote and revitalize indigenous languages and culture through the internet and digital mediums. We believe that language and culture are integral parts of a community's identity and should be preserved for future generations. By leveraging technology, we aim to empower people from rural communities by creating livelihood opportunities to achieve sustainable development goals.
We at Boli Cheto work with 5 Indian languages namely Telugu, Gondi, Kolami, Assamese, Rabha. Among these languages Gondi, Kolami and Rabha are indigenous languages from the South and Northeast part of India. Link to our Website : www.bolicheto.org
About the Languages that we are taking up project work for this general support:
Adilabadi Gondi (ISO 639 - wsg)
Adilabadi Gondi is a indigenous language spoken in parts of Telangana/Andhra Pradesh, India. This language belongs to the Dravidian language family. The language is mostly in use among the tribes of Northern Telangana especially in the districts of Adilabad, Nirmal, Kumuram Bheem Asifabad, and some parts of Warangal and Bhadradri Kothagudem.
Adilabadi Gondi is spoken by the Gondi population of Telangana and a few other tribes like Thoti, Pradhan and Naikpod from the Northern part of Telangana. Telangana & Andhra Pradesh have 3 lakh Gond population as per 2011 Indian government census.
Southeastern Kolami (ISO 639- nit)
Southeastern Kolami/Naiki is a Dravidian indigenous language spoken in parts of Telangana and Maharashtra states of India. Kolami is spoken by 44000 people in Telangana, India. This is one of the endangered languages listed on the Endangered Languages Project as threatened by its existence.
Links: Endangered Languages Project- https://www.endangeredlanguages.com/lang/4861 Glottolog - https://glottolog.org/resource/languoid/id/sout1549
These two languages are among the most under-resourced, marginalized languages spoken in India. There is no mass media in the languages and there was no education in these languages until recently. With the introduction of New Education Policy in India, primary education in mother tongue is getting encouraged and it is a good time to prepare Kolami and Gondi for the same. Telangana has put continuous efforts in building Foundational literacy content for students of these communities; the government has produced some books for early school education in recent times. It's high time to build content in the Kolami and Gondi languages, this helps the Tribal communities of Telangana with access to world knowledge.
We will be working on following programmatic aspects:
1)Community Engagement : Building active community members contributing to the overall development of the Gondi and Kolami WIkimedia Projects through Awareness Drives, Workshops, Seminars, Edit-a-thons and Content building projects.
2)Content Building : Building content related to topics of cultural importance of tribes of Adilabad(Gondi, Kolami, Thoti, Pradhan, Nayakpod’s etc).
3)Collaboration: Collaborating with local literary and community bodies Utnoor Sahiti Vedika and Raj Gond Sewa Samithi. Collaborating with Government - Integrated Tribal Development Agency, Utnoor Adilabad. Collaborating with local educational institutions and District Administrations of Kumuram Bheem Asifabad, Nirmal and Bhadradri Kothagudem districts.
Challenges and Strategies: 1)Access to digital mediums and internet : As the language speaking communities of Gondi and Kolami are economically backward and the communities live in remote places. We intend to work on the access to digital mediums by crowdfunded donation drives through Boli Cheto. The internet component will be managed through this grant.
2)Identifying proficient speakers and writers: Finding Proficient speakers and writers who can contribute to Wikimedia projects would be a challenging part. We will be working on this part with the help of our collaborators.
3)Building sustainable Community leadership Create community leadership models that are reliable and long-lasting for Gondi and Kolami Wikipedia projects.
Building stable and sustainable communities has come up in a number of international talks facilitated by the Movement Strategy team and other WMF teams. For the development of our communities, we are aiming to develop enduring and friendly leadership models.
- 9. What categories are your main programs and related activities under? Please select all that apply. (required)
|Culture, heritage or GLAM||Yes|
|Gender and diversity||Yes|
|Community support and engagement||Yes|
|Participation in campaigns and contests||No|
|Public policy advocacy||No|
- 9.1.1. Select all your programs and activities for Education. (required)
- Wiki Club, Reading Wikipedia in the Classroom or other Reading/Evaluating Wikipedia Training, Editing Wikipedia Training, Translation, Wikimedia Commons programs, Other Wikimedia project programs
- Other programs and activities if any: N/A
- 9.1.2. Select all relevant audience groups for Education. (required)
- Primary school students, Vocational, tertiary, or higher education, Teachers or professors, Senior citizens
- Other groups if any: N/A
Culture, heritage or GLAM
- 9.2. Select all your programs and activities for Culture, heritage or GLAM. (required)
- Documenting or incubating languages on Wikimedia projects, Introducing new approaches to underrepresented culture and heritage, e.g. decolonising or reparative work; oral and visual knowledge; outreach to communities of origin, indigenous and first nations self-determination, Partnering with institutions, professional associations, and allied organizations to raise awareness of open culture, ethical sharing, and related issues
- Other programs and activities if any: N/A
Gender and diversity
- 9.3. Select all your programs and activities for Gender and diversity.
- Bringing in women and/or gender diverse participants and editors, Focusing on creating content about marginalized (underrepresented) communities and their knowledge, Building organizer skills in women and diversity groups
- Other programs and activities if any: N/A
Community support and engagement
- 9.4. Select all your programs and activities for Community support and engagement.
- On-wiki training of community members, Off-wiki training of community members, Organizing meetups, conferences, and community events, Offering non financial support and services to community members (equipment, space, books, etc.), Offering microgrants and other financial support to community members
- Other programs and activities if any: N/A
- 10. Please include a link to or upload a timeline (operational calendar) for your programs and activities. (required)
- 11. Describe your team. (required)
Mr.Nethi Sai Kiran, Program manager: Responsible for the Comprehensive Management of the overall project, Overseeing Project Implementation, and Reporting. Liasoning with ITDA Utnoor, District Administrations of Niraml, Kumuram Bheem Asifabad & Bhadradri Kothagudem.
Mr. Athram Mothiram , Program Coordinator: Responsible for Kolami Wikipedia project management and liasoning with Utnoor Sahiti Vedika.
Mr. Sidam Kiran Kumar, Program Coordinator: Responsible for Gondi Wikipedia project management and liasoning with Raj Gond Sewa Samithi.
- 12. Will you be working with any internal (Wikimedia) or external partners? Describe the characteristics of these partnerships and bring a few examples of the most significant partnerships. (required)
We will be working in close coordination with Integrated Tribal Development Agency, Utnoor, Telangana. This is a government local body overseeing the welfare schemes and administration for the tribes of Northern Telangana region. We will be working on introducing Wikimedia in early education to revive the Gondi and Kolami languages and We will also be working on collection of short stories, books published by authors under ITDA to upload on Wikisource.
We will be working closely with Utnoor Sahiti Vedika and Raj Gond Sewa Samithi, to mobilize and aware the tribal communities and educate the contemporary writers and poets about the Open knowledge and Wikimedia movement.
- 13. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select all that apply. (required)
- Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement, Improve User Experience, Provide for Safety and Inclusion, Ensure Equity in Decision-making, Innovate in Free Knowledge
- 14. Please select and fill out Wikimedia Metrics for your proposal. (recommended)
- 14.1. Number of participants, editors, and organizers.
All metrics provided are optional, please fill them out if they are aligned with your programs and activities.
|Number of all participants||50||N/A|
|Number of all editors||50||N/A|
|Number of new editors||100|
|Number of retained editors||20|
|Number of all organizers||3||N/A|
|Number of new organizers||2|
- 14.2. Number of new content contributions to Wikimedia projects. (recommended)
|Wikimedia project||Created||Edited or improved|
|Wikifunctions / Abstract Wikipedia|
- Description for Wikimedia projects contributions metrics. (optional)
- 15. Do you have other quantitative and qualitative targets for your project (other metrics)? (required)
- 16. Will you have any other revenue sources when implementing this proposal (e.g. other funding, membership contributions, donations)? (required)
- 16.1. List other revenue sources. (required)
- 16.2. Approximately how much revenue will you have from other sources in your local currency? (required)
- 17. Your local currency. (required)
- 18. What is the total requested amount in your local currency? (required)
- 897750 INR
|Year||Amount (local currency)|
|Year 1||N/A INR|
|Year 2||N/A INR|
|Year 3||N/A INR|
- Requested amount in USD
- 73850 USD [note 1]
|Year||Amount USD [note 1]|
|Year 1||N/A USD|
|Year 2||N/A USD|
|Year 3||N/A USD|
- The following amount in US dollars was calculated by Wikimedia Foundation staff using the fixed currency rates. This amount is approximate and may not reflect the actual currency exchange rates on the day of submission or distribution. If the application is funded, the funding will be sent in the recipient’s local currency.
- 19. Does this proposal include compensation for staff or contractors? (required)
- 19.1. How many paid staff members do you plan to have? (required)
Include the number of staff and contractors during the proposal period. If you have short-term contractors or staff, please include them separately and mention their terms.
- A total of 3 staff members - One Program Manager, Two Program Coordinators.
- 19.2. How many FTEs (full-time equivalents) in total? (required)
Include the total FTE of staff and contractors during the proposal period. If you have short-term contractors or staff, please include their FTEs with the terms separately.
- 0 FTE's
All the staff will be working on a consultancy basis.
- 19.3. Describe any staff or contractor changes compared to the current year / ongoing General Support Fund if any. (required only for returning grantees)
- 20. Please provide an overview of your overall budget categories in your local currency. The budget breakdown should include only the amount requested with this General Support Fund (required).
|Budget category||Amount in local currency|
|Staff and contactor costs||540000 INR|
|Operational costs||315000 INR|
|Programmatic costs||897750 INR|
- 21. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it. (required)
- 22. In this optional space you can add any other additional information about your proposal or organization that you think can help us when reviewing your proposal. (optional)
By submitting your proposal/funding request you agree that you are in agreement with the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and the Universal Code of Conduct.
- Please add any feedback to the grant discussion page only. Any feedback added here will be removed.