Grants:Project/Rapid/16 Days of Activism: Her Story Editathon
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Teach new comers how to edit Wikipedia
- Add content
- Part of a previous project with the UN Women was translating gender related terms to literate the Arabic community.
- This editathon aims at creating new pages in Arabic on the different gender related terms for better understanding from the community's side.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- Check Her Story - قصتها on Facebook as I cannot link the page here because of the spam filter.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes, myself and a team of volunteers whom I trained before.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Yes, People are already ready with the content, we need this editathon to teach them how to edit Wikipedia.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- Through emails and Facebook page and official group.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- Her Story started one year ago when Katherine Maher was invited to the UN HQ in NY city, where the campaign was launched as a result of a successful partnership between me and the UN Women. Now, we are working on gender terms literacy problem, not only female figures. I have been working on translating the UN gender terms and we need to turn this in details articles on Arabic Wikipedia to help educate people about the core gender problems. People already applied to the editathon, and each was assigned to translate an article, whoever is done and with a good quality will be invited to finish editing his/her article through an editathon on how to use and edit Wikipedia.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events 1
- Number of participants 45
- Number of new editors 40
- Number of of articles created or improved 30
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events)
Examples of articles to be improved
- International Day of the World’s Indigenous People
- Commission on the Status of Women
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Myself representing Wikimedia and the UN Women regional office in Cairo: they will pay for the catering, prepare the setting. I will pay for the giveaways, conduct the training, promote the event on Facebook, set the goals, filtering applicants, send invitations.
- Using internet and laptops to explain for the participants.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- * 45 Stress balls, 15 EGP per one = 45X 15 EGP= 675 EGP
- * 45 Rubber bracelets, 6 EGP per one = 45X 6 EGP= 270 EGP
- * 45 Certificates, 5 EGP per each = 45x 5 EGP= 225 EGP
- * Transportation for one volunteer, 230 EGP
- * Total = 1400 EGP
Usernames lead the event
- May Hachem93
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!