Grants:Project/Rapid/1Lib1Ref Uganda 2019
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- Add or improve content
- Recruit new editors and train existing editors on a specific skill
- Introduce to and interest the GLAM community in Uganda to Wikipedia as a tool for their professional use
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
We are planning 2 events in which will use the Goethe Zentrum Library as well as another selected venue (preferably a library) .Participants who do not have Wikipedia accounts will be instructed on opening accounts prior to the main event (via email instruction) and all will be requested to come with their laptops to solve the issue of few computers .
The first event will have relatively few participants specifically invited because of the technicality involved meaning the facilitators may have to give one-on-one instruction. We will urge the initial participants to each bring another individual for the second event.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- We will be designing and posting posters for the campaign that will be shared on our social media pages .Event dates will be shared as soon as agreed on
- We will also be publicizing the existing online campaign resources
- Why target a specific audience?
- We are targeting the GLAM community because it is an audience we have not engaged before so they are not really aware of the opportunities or how can contribute to Wikipedia and the quality of local content
- We are looking at this being the introduction to and occasional reference to GLAM engagement activities (both short and long term ) in Uganda
- Many individuals in the GLAM community are already familiar with the bibliographic practices and referencing
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- A number of articles will have their references either improved or added in order to enhance their quality
- By the end of the project ,a section of the GLAM community will have been made aware of the #1Lib1Ref campaign in addition to other Wikimedia projects and how they can meaningfully contribute
- New and Existing editors will have improved this particular skill
- We intend to invite the campaign participants to other Wikimedia Community User Group Uganda events and edit-a-thons so they can become active editiors out of GLAM-related themes and so that they can meet the wider community of editors.
- We will create a WhatsApp group for the campaign as well as beyond in which we can answer any queries they may have and the participants can propose other members for addition in order to widen the network
- We will add the participants our mailing list in order to share updates and seek for feedback regarding this and future GLAM events
- Posters will be shared at different venues to create awareness of the campaign as well as contacts to which queries and feedback can be directed
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of total participants = 15
- Number of articles referenced or improved (if applicable) = 40
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (if applicable)
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable)
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Our team has a librarian onboard who will help facilitate the sessions with the help of other team members who are regular and experienced facilitators . The team also includes an experienced graphics designer who will help in designing and publicizing any events and promotional material
- We have a venue to host the trainings /meetings provided by a local partner ,Goethe Zentrum Kampala
- We have a laptop that can be used by a participant who may not have come with their own
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
- Publicity and Promotional material
- Pullup banner for these and future #1Lib1Ref /GLAM events in Uganda : 1 X $120 = $120
- A3 posters : 10 X $2 = $20
- TShirts : 17 X $7 = $119
- Stickers : 40 X $0.3 = $12
- Travel for Wikimedia Community User Group Uganda members = $100
- Meals and refreshments for 2 events for 25 people = $150
- Voice and data expenses for 2 events = $70
- Miscelleanous (Bank charges etc) = $15
Total = $606
- Strong support I endorse the 1Lib1Ref Uganda rapid grant application, it will be a great way for the Wikimedia Community User Group Uganda to establish a partnership with Librarians in Uganda who will eventually become part of the active community in Uganda. More so it will help to add good citations to local Wikipedia content which has been lacking. Kateregga1 (talk) 04:21, 16 May 2019 (UTC)
- I strongly support this initative , it the first kind of its own in uganda Erinamukuta