Grants:Project/Rapid/AGRIPO/Wiki-agripo 2.0 : edit-a-thons on villages in the far north of Cameroon/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
- The goal of Wiki-agripo 2.0 was to add content on more than 500 villages of Cameroon’s Far North on Wikipedia by more than 10 contributors. Overall, we are happy with the project because 12 contributors shared more than 416 articles related to Far-North Cameroon (progress of more than 274%). The participants have continued to add articles on villages of Far-North Cameroon since the project ended.
- The villages of Far North are listed in the [Category of the villages of the Cameroon Far North]
Please report on your original project targets.
- Project metrics
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Minimum of 4 events||4 events organised with the co-editing of more than 5 articles per event. Contributors continue editing between editing events||Dates of editing events
|Minimum of 10 participants||18 participants are involved||12 participants are newly involved|
|Minimum of 6 new editors||12 new editors|
|Minimum of 500 new articles||416 new articles||Unless, we have an old computer, participants were very active in creating articles on Far-North Cameroon with available free-use information. They will continue to obtain more than 500 articles of Far North.|
|Minimum of 2 repeat participants||2 repeat participants trained the new contributors|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- We mobilise 71 interested participants on our volunteerism mechanism -- people were motivated to write articles on villages of Far North Cameroon. However only 12 new editors (less than 17%) succeed to publish articles online
- Overall quality of the Cameroon portal continues to be improved. The Cameroon portal has 7528 articles now and it remain the second portal in Africa, after Algeria (but now with less than 2000 articles of difference).
- What didn't work?
- Finding free-use information on rural area like villages is complicated. Therefore, participants had to collect available information to maintain dynamic. It remains a more difficult task for beginners.
- What would you do differently next time?
- This new project was difficult due to technical limit (old computer) with less productivity due to necessity to make frequent repair. However, this experience helps us to develop a new team of engaged contributors. This proven strategy is effective and productive and we will continue to invest in a progressive turn-over of small team of engaged contributors to consolidate impact and results.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
- Communication (bills 1 to 4)= 174 900 Fcfa ($321.83 USD)
- Travel (bill 5 )= 100 000 Fcfa ($184.01 USD)
- Scholarships (receipt 6) = 500 000 Fcfa ($920.03 USD)
- Human resource (bill 8) = 800 000 Fcfa ($1472.05 USD)
- Others expenses (bill 7) = 67 500 Fcfa ($124.20 USD)
Total: $3022,12 USD. Additional cost are supported by Agripo
NB: Grant was received in XAF and all expenses are paid in XAF (local currency in Cameroon). The exchange rate applied is 1 US$ = 543,46 XAF
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
- No remaining funds.
Anything else you want to share about your project?