Grants:Project/Rapid/Airplaneman/Sulzer Regional Library Edit-a-thon in Chicago March 2017
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We are doing a one-day editathon aimed at both training new contributors and bringing together veteran contributors.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- A geonotice will go out between 03-1-17 and 03-24-17 on the English Wikipedia. This notice will cover the Chicagoland area: Chicago, Northwest Indiana, Northern Illinois, and Southern Wisconsin
- Reach out to the Art + Feminism Chicago user group
- Reach out to certain student interest groups at the University of Chicago, particularly the community service organizations
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes. At least two experienced Wikimedia editors (Airplaneman and I JethroBT) will be leading this event.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Participants will be encouraged to bring their own Internet-connected computing device. This event will be held at a public library, which will have additional equipment and resources available for participants to use to contribute. Experienced Wikipedia editors will be present at the event to support and guide all participants in their editing efforts.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- We will collect a list of usernames and emails to document event impact, which will include the articles written and improved, number of editors taught a new skill, and other ancillary outcomes such as a brief survey to evaluate attitudes toward using and contributing to Wikipedia projects. We are also starting a Wikimedians of Chicagoland user group, which we will introduce all participants to and encourage them to engage with.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This project hopes to be the inaugural event for the Wikimedians of Chicagoland user group.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events 1: Wikipedia:Meetup/Chicago 17
- Number of participants 15
- Number of new editors 5
- Number of of articles created or improved 10
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Organizers: Airplaneman and I JethroBT. The organizers will compile and provide educational resources and knowledge related to editing Wikipedia.
- Location: The Sulzer Regional Library is providing the venue free of charge. As a library, it will have a librarian and plenty of free academic resources to consult for editing. There are no additional funding sources.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Food: We are requesting funding for food (lunch) from a local restaurant that will be served at the event. This food will serve 15 people and cost $200. We're not entirely sure how successful the Chicagoland geonotice will be in terms of bringing in participants, but we may need to change our budget if we expect more than 20 participants.
- Educational materials: We will be distributing helpful guides for editing and need to be able to produce enough copies for all who attend. Printing will cost about $10.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!