Grants:Project/Rapid/All Tunisian Municipalities Deserve a Picture
Please see the sample Photowalk application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. You can add details to each goal.
- Add or improve content
- Recruit new editors
- Engage existing editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. How many walks/tours will you organize and how many people on each walk?
- We plan to put every Tunisian municipality on the map by doing a tour of the country and uploading original content to pages that exist but have no image/content and/or creating new pages for each municipality. In the process, we will conduct 5 photo walks in order to spread information about the project, teach people how to contribute to Wikimedia, and build community. We hope to have 20-30 people join us for photo walks.
2. What kind of content will the walks focus on? Why is this topic a priority?
- We will focus on photos, but also hope to build up municipality Wikipedia pages that have little or no information. Diversifying the image of Tunisia is important for both Tunisians and external audiences. Currently, there is very little information on municipalities in Tunisia's interior regions that is easily accessible. At this delicate moment in Tunisia's history, in which we have great potential to move forward as a society, we must reflect on how ALL people in Tunisia live and understand the diversity of the nation and its history with more nuance. We are inspired by a similar project that was done in Spain and the positive impact it had on communities that previously had very little visibility online. We want to enlarge both Tunisian and foreign perspectives of what Tunisia looks like, regional differences in terms of culture, religion, race, terrain, etc.
3. What is the plan to ensure images will be used on Wikimedia projects?
- Most photos will be taken by myself (Tunisian) and my friend (Palestinian) who has been living in Tunisia for 5 years and is passionate about Open Source content and was the founder of Jordan Open Source Association. We are committed to this idea and uploading 2000 pictures over the course of one year. Additionally, we will add all participants of our photo walks to a private group on Facebook (Tunisia's preferred social media site) to ensure that images are being uploaded to Wikimedia.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- We both have DSLR cameras; we hope to engage the Tunis Photography Club to join with us and lend their cameras (under supervision).
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of participants : 150 participants from 5 photo walks
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons : 2000
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects 2000
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- We have access to 5 DSLR cameras, and hope to receive support from the Tunis Photography Club as well as Maison De L'Image (a coworking space specializing in visual arts and photography). Eman and I are two young women passionate about democratizing information. Eman works with local radio stations around the country and I work on freedom of expression events with unconventional creatives from several different regions in Tunisia. Through my family and Eman's personal and professional networks - we have contacts for most places we aim to visit & work with in Tunisia.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- 10 hotel stays: $200 USD
- Car rentals: $335 USD
- Gas $550 USD
- Web domain: $300 USD - we would like to set up a website with a map of Tunisia where you can click on each region and it will contain the same information that exists on Wikipedia but in a more accessible way.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!