Grants:Project/Rapid/Art+Feminism 2020 Pallant House Gallery Sarah Jackson
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve content on 20th century women artists, particularly British artists.
- Recruit new editors, particularly women who are working in the academic community.
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Try out the Edit-a-thon format to see if it is viable as a regular way of reaching new, younger audiences.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We are planning one 6 hour edit-a-thon, taking place before our symposium on modernist women in early 20th century Britain (Radical Women).
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- We have posted the event on our website (https://pallant.org.uk/whats-on/radical-women-wikipedia-edit-a-thon/) and included a link to it from the Radical Women Symposium event page (https://pallant.org.uk/whats-on/symposium-radical-womenjessica-dismorr-and-her-contemporaries/). We will also promote the event in our ebulletins (including ones to our full mailing list and targeted mailings to people who have booked similar events) and on our social media (Instagram, Facebook and Twitter).
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- We will have someone from Wikipedia come to give a presentation at the beginning, as well as someone from Art UK who has led Wikipedia editathons before.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- We are asking participants to bring their own laptops and sign up as a Wikipedia editor before the event. We will have books from the gallery’s art library and members of gallery staff who can help answer any art history questions participants may have.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- We will send participants an email after the event thanking them for their participation and revealing any milestones (e.g. how many articles have been updated, added etc). We will also include details about our Art Library and how they can continue to access it, if they so wish. We will also ask them if they would be interested in coming to similar events and potentially provide a feedback form for them to complete.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- The event is running just before the start of our Radical Women Symposium, so we hope to attract people attending this event, many of which will be academics. We are very experienced in running events of varied size and content – we have a team of trusted staff who can ensure the day is a success. We hope that the event will be unique for participants – it will take place in a Gallery, surrounded by artworks, not in a meeting room.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 1
- Number of participants: 12
- Number of new editors: 6
- Number of of articles created or improved: 24 (two for each participant)
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events) N/A
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- We will have at least three members of staff, as well as someone from Wikipedia and Art UK to help with the technical aspects. We will also have at least one member of the curatorial/collections teams on hand to help with art historical knowledge, as well as our librarian to help participants with book resources. We will also aim to have some volunteers assisting with the event throughout the day.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Lunch (sandwiches, crisps, drinks) = £65 Refreshments throughout the day (tea, coffee, biscuits) = £15 Expenses for two volunteers = £20 Total = £100
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!