Grants:Project/Rapid/CCCCWI @ CWPA and FemRhet
Please see the sample Travel application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Expand network of potential partners for the CCCC Wikipedia Initiative
- Increase awareness of Wikimedia projects among conference participants
- Recruit new editors
- Co-facilitate an academic Wikipedia Edit-a-thon at CWPA Conference and FemRhet Conference
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What is the purpose of the event you're attending and why is it important that you attend?
- The purpose of the event is to co-facilitate Wikipedia Edit-a-thons at two academic conferences in order to improve representation of disciplinary knowledge and to coordinate outreach efforts to raise awareness about the initiative
2. Will you be presenting at the event?
- Yes, I will be presenting on Wiki Education and co-facilitating edit-a-thon workshops
3. What kind of outreach activity do you plan to do?
- I will help coordinate a listserv (CCCCWI-L) to support outreach efforts for the CCCC Wikipedia initiative
We are building a community online and off. Event participants who join the CCCCWI-L can use this listserv to ask questions and communicate with organizers and each other as they continue editing after the workshop. We will share event impact reports and invitations to participate in future programs and events via our listserv and website. 4. How will you let other participants know about your outreach activity?
- Outreach will be advertised to the academic community through the following methods: (1) inclusion in the conference programs, (2) advertisement on disciplinary listservs, (3) advertisement on social media (4) word-of-mouth'
5. Do you have a specific networking plan? (e.g. specific people, organizations, groups you would like to develop partnerships with) '
- Yes, outreach will be conducted in and among major disciplinary listservs such as WPA-L and NextGen-L as well as on social media and word-of-mouth networks
6. What is your plan to follow-up with new contacts?
- New contacts will be added to a list of CCCCWI members with information about their username. We also plan to develop a WikiProject for additional outreach and community organization.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets as applicable:
- Number of presentation attendees: 20-40 among the two conferences
- Number of new potential partners: 20-40
- Number of outreach activity participants: 20-40
- Number of new editors: 20
- Number of of articles created or improved: 5-10
What resources do you have? Include in-kind donations or additional funding.
- 4-5 facilitators, with varying levels of Wikipedia literacy, who have planned, organized, and executed multiple edit-a-thons will be an important resource for this event. The grant proposer, user:Matthewvetter, has experience editing and teaching Wikipedia writing projects as well as leading Wikipedia Edit-a-thons. We will have space and technology provided by conference organizer's in both cases. Conference programs will also provide marketing for the events.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Conference Registration x1 (CWPA) for user:Matthewvetter - $450.00
- Conference Registration x1 (FemRhet) for user:Matthewvetter - $350.00 (increases to $375.00 on July 15)
- Conference Lodging x1 - 2 nights (CWPA) for user:Matthewvetter - $517.44
- Conference Lodging x1 - 3 nights (FemRhet) user:Matthewvetter - $469.00
- Mileage from Indiana, PA to Baltimore, MD and return: 454 mi. x 0.58 = 263.32
Total costs - $2049.76; Requested funds: $2000
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Support Excellent project and important work by a great educator and researcher. ZachMcDowell (talk) 15:13, 15 May 2019 (UTC)
- Support I am excited to endorse this project! Dr. Vetter is the perfect person to engage the US higher education writing faculty to encourage their participation in Wikipedia pedagogy, and to shape the work product so that it is useful to both communities. BobCummings (talk) 15:28, 15 May 2019 (UTC)
- Support Dr. Vetter has been a great advocate for Wikipedia in education for many years. He has taught 12 courses through Wiki Education's programs and is highly committed to helping his students and improving Wikipedia.Helaine (Wiki Ed) (talk) 21:17, 15 May 2019 (UTC)
- Glad to have Matt on board with CCCCWI. His support at these events would be invaluable. Drkill (talk) 22:24, 15 May 2019 (UTC)