Grants:Project/Rapid/Celebrating International World Women's day with an edith-a-thon
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
- Recruit new female editors
- Rejuvenate existing female editors in Benin City
- Add and improve content related to women
- Initiate Wiki fan Club in Benin City
The project is designed to address two key problems:
- Increase and Improve Nigerian female related contents on WIkipedia
- Training and recruitment of New female Wikpedians
- Advocacy: Explore the possibility of connecting with female Wikipedians in Benin City
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
We will organize a three day event in Benin City. An event slated be the first of its kind in Benin city. Schedule of the event is as follows:
- Day 1 Introduction to Wikipedia for new recruits and a refresher training on editing Wikipedia for already existing editors.
- Day 2 Introduction to Wikidata
- Day 3 Celebration of International World Women’s Day / Editathon
At the end of the training, we will create an online platform for post event monitoring of participants. The participants for the event will be mentored to form Benin city's Wiki Women's Fan Club.
|1||Introduction to Wikipedia||March 6th, 2019||Preciousayara|
|2||Wikidata for Beginner||March 7th, 2019||Experienced Wikipedian|
|3||Celebration of International World Women’s day||March 8th||Preciousayara|
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- We will inform the community via multiple platforms-
- Various WhatsApp groups
- Mailing lists
- Social media like Facebook, Whatsapp, Twitter and local news papers
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- User: Olaniyan Shola,
- User: HandsomeBoy,
- User: JamieTubers or any available experienced editors in Nigeria.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Participants expected for the event will be blend of Newbies and slightly experienced Wikipedians ( if any). While, many of them may not have equipment we will ensure that all participants for the event will be mandated to come to the event with their laptops. We can provide desktop for the very few that show interest but without equipment.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- Over 90% Nigerians are on WhatsApp. Therefore during the training we will ensure that applicants registered with their WhatsApp lines. The lines alongside that of the facilitators will be used to create a WhatsApp group for mentorship.
- The participants will be kept in touch after event though email, social media like Facebook
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events - 3
- Number of participants - 50 women between 18 - 35
- Number of new editors - 20 women between 18 - 35
- Number of articles created or improved - 30
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
'What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Here is the summary budget for the program
- Proposed budget
|Ser.No||Detail||Amount in NGN|
|1||Venue for three day||210000|
|2||Refreshment ( Meal+tea biscuit) for 30 participants||180000|
|4||Return ticket for invited Wikipedian||60000|
|5||Accommodation for 4 days||60000|
|9||T-Shirt for 10ppl||30000|
Exchange rate 305NGN/USD
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!