Grants:Project/Rapid/Celtic Knot Wikipedia Conference 2019
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- The Conference aims to share good practice between regional and small language communities, in finding low cost innovative solutions using Wikimedia to assist small languages such as education resources, to provide a networking opportunity for small languages in person and to link project work between languages via Wikimedia and to generally promote education in and about small languages and Wikimedia.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
My role is to manage the conference event and facilitate international discussion between language communities and Wikimedia projects from small languages. The grant will be used to assist with travel for those from small language communities with limited resources to ensure a broad range of participants and ensure that small language communities have the opportunity to network and learn with other Wikimedia projects using small languages. How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- Weblink is being promoted via various language networks such as NPLD, ELEN - ie a new audience for Wikimedia
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Knot_Conference_2019 What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- Provide a network for small language communities using Wikimedia, create new users and editors of Wikimedia in a variety of small languages, enable participants to create their own events to create further new editors, and to develop and complete small language projects using Wikimedia at the event.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of total participants - over 50 from at least 10 language communities
- Number of articles created or improved (if applicable) over 50
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (if applicable) over 50
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable)
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Cornwall Council will be providing the venue, catering and event management.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
- Assistance with travel expenses for those from other small language communities - those who could bring expertise to share with the participants, and those who would benefit in taking knowledge back to small language communities. The budget proposal is as follows:
a) Small scholarships for transport, conference entry plus accommodation - Up to 4 small scholarships of up to £310.85 ($350.00) towards Ticket costs, 2 nights basic accommodation and flights/train tickets. To be applied for in advance and awarded on receipt of proof of purchase for travel and accommodation. b) Small scholarships for transport and/or Conference entry - Up to 5 small scholarships of up to £106.58 ($120.00) to cover Ticket costs, and /or limited travel costs. To be applied for in advance of the conference. For travel, proof of purchase required.