Grants:Project/Rapid/Chairpersons meeting in November 2019
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- A training for chairpersons or presidents of Wikimedia Affiliates that will help them to perform better. The overall theme of the meeting is: "How to lead a Wikimedia chapter from a chairpersons perspective" and is designed to improve personal performance. The sessions will include notions such as key responsibilities of Boards, leadership, oversight and accountability, network governance. We have contracted an experienced trainer who will moderate the sessions. We had this training last year for the first time, also thanks to 2018 grant request.
As you can read on the report, this training was considered to be successful and fruitful among the chairperson, and we decided to host it this year again.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- Members of the organizing committee are: Itzik Edri (WMIL), Frans Grijzenhout (WMNL) together with the support of Wikimedia France, which will host this event this year.. Meetings by skype / Google hangout. Time was / will be spend on: finding a moderator (done), logistics (in progress), prepare the program (in progress), outreach to the chairs of Wikimedia chapters and larger user groups (in progress), overlooking the meeting itself.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- From last year feedback, we learned that most of the participants ranked this retreat as very or extremely effective (93%, Q1). We discussed having this retreat this year again with the chairpersons and there was a widely support for it.
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- At the end of the project we have accomplished a two-day training session for chairpersons of affiliates. We will evaluate the meeting immediately afterwards. We will distribute the results to all the chairs and discuss further trainings during the next chairpersons meeting (probably in Berlin during the next Wikimedia Conference). Training materials will be uploaded to Board_Member_Support.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project: Number of participants = 12. Goals: Improve the quality of leadership of chairpersons, establish good governance and prevent crisis situations.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Participants have to pay their own travel costs and hotel. 180 euro's will be charged per participant to cover the facilitator's expenses.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
- Partial support to cover the venue & food costs up to 2000$. Budget based on 12 participants and the facilitator (total of 13)
|Category||Description||Unit||Number of units||Number of days||Cost per unit (EUR)||Total EUR||Total USD|
|Venue||Room + screen||1||2||€ 405||€ 810||$907|
|Food||Coffee and buffet||Day||13||2||€ 10||€ 260||$291|
|Food||Lunch||Participants||13||2||€ 13||€ 338||$379|
|Food||Dinner event + social event (on the 1st day)||Participants||13||1||€ 40||€ 520||$582|
|Facilitator||Per Diem||1||2||€ 58||€ 116||$130|