Grants:Project/Rapid/Danish Christmas Carols
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We are holding one edit-a-thon on October 2, 2017 at The Royal Danish Library in Aarhus, Denmark.
- The focus of the edit-a-thon will be to either create new articles and improve existing articles about approximately 20 Danish Christmas carols as well as articles about the authors, composers and performers related to the carols in question.
- On top of that the library is currently working towards adding original recordings of the Christmas carols in question to Wikimedia Commons. If the conclusion is that the recordings are public domain, then the audio files will be added to Wikimedia Commons and linked to all articles of relevance on Wikipedia.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- The edit-a-thon is a tight collaboration between Wikipedia, Aarhus University - School of Communication and Culture and The Royal Danish Library. The participants are students from the university who are taking a class in dissemination of knowledge of music. One of the communication platforms they will learn about is Wikipedia.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- At least two experienced Wikimedia editors will take part in the event - Villy_Fink_Isaksen and Ditlev_Petersen.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- The participants are students of Musicology at Aarhus University and have thus a special interest in the topic. They also have the skills to conduct any research necessary in order to contribute to the articles we are targeting. In addition, they receive guidance from their teacher in conducting any research necessary.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- They will be invited to join the monthly meetings between representatives from Wikipedia and representatives from The Royal Danish Library where we discuss improvements of existing articles and how to create new relevant articles on Danish Wikipedia.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- Last year we held a similar event where we created a new article about another one of our collections, the Ruben Collection - see https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruben-samlingen - which consistes of the oldest Danish audio recordings.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 1
- Number of participants: 18
- Number of new editors: 1-2
- Number of of articles created or improved: 20
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events)
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Representatives from The Royal Danish Library, Wikipedia and Aarhus University - School of Communication and Culture are organizing the event in collaboration.
- The Royal Danish Library is hosting the event and contributes by providing the facilities - room, computers, Internet connection + wifi as well as staff hours organizing the event.
- The representative from Aarhus University contributes by incorporating Wikipedia into his teaching and by making the edit-a-thon part of the curriculum for his students.
- The two representatives from Wikipedia are contributing their time and expertise.
- We will not receive additional funding or donations.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
We are applying for funding to help pay for catering of the event.
Please notice that seven of the students will not be there for lunch, because they have another to attend. The figures below have been adjusted accordingly.
|Representative Aarhus University||1|
|Anchorpersons Royal Danish Library||1|
|Before lunch beverages||Bottled water||DKK 16,00||DKK 288,00|
|Lunch||Sandwiches||DKK 40,00||DKK 440,00|
|Beverages||Bottled water||DKK 16,00||DKK 176,00|
|Afternoon break||Cake and organic coffee/tea incl. sugar/milk||DKK 36,00||DKK 684,00|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!