Grants:Project/Rapid/Rafael Ghidini/I Wiki-Sul meeting: Meet at UFSC for Wikipedia Education Program
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- 1) Organize a meeting of wikipedians and wikimedians that live in the south of Brazil, the I Wiki-Sul meeting;
- 2) Increase the participation of experienced wikipedians and wikimedians in an event sponsored by UFSC (Santa Catarina Federal University) on "Wikipedia and education" (the program of the event may be found here) under the responsibility of the professors: Flávia Varella and Rodrigo Bonaldo (our current programs may be found at outreachdashboard and at Teoria da História na Wikipédia). We think that with an bigger number of experienced wikipedians and wikimedians at the event we can:
- Present the Educational Program to professores and students at UFSC;
- Recruit new editors;
- Add or improve content;
- Foster awareness of Wikipedia functioning and Wikimedia activism;
- Socialize with community members encouraging them to keep productive;
- Promote the off-wiki organization of the wikipedians and wikimedians of the south of Brazil in a users group (not yet recognized) called Wiki-Sul.
Obs: The idea is to promote the union of the Wikipedians and Wikimedians of the south of Brazil, but maintaining constant contact with other users of Brazil. In this sense, two wikipedians outside the south of Brazil have accepted the UFSC invitation to participate in the congress at cost of UFSC itself. They are: Rodrigo Padula and Domusaurea.
From October 1st to October 3st (1.10.2018 - 3.10.2018)
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
The UFSC ist organizing and financing a big conference about "Public History on Network: dissemination of historical knowledge on Wikipedia". The programming can be find on here.
1) As a part of the conference on Wikipedia and Education, we will organize:
- two minicourses: 1) one edit-a-thon about "Women in science" (Lechatjaune); and 2) one edit-a-thon about "Wikipedia as didatic tool for Geography teachers of Basic Education" (Stanglavine - list of articles possibly edited here);
- one round table about "Wikipedia as information font". Topics: a) Wikipedia, fonts, references and links; b) Wikipedia on fake news context; c) Wikipedia as teaching tool; (Lechatjaune and Stanglavine);
- The detailed programming the third day can be find on here.
2) We will also organize a wiki meet-up after the conference at UFSC as a form of confraternization between all wikipedians and wikimedians present and the event.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- In addition to the announcement of the event that is in charge of UFSC, a post on the Village Pump in Portuguese will be published. The event will be communicated by official digital channels of our university such as social networks and webpage.
- All users are welcome, but we are given more attention to the users who live in south Brazil, simply because Brazil have continental size and we believe that it is better to organize regional meetings: for us this is a way to reduce the total cost of each event and therefore increase the annual number of events we can organize.
- Official page of the event
- Divulgation on pt.Wikipedia community place ("Esplanada");
- I Wiki-Sul meeting Posters.jpg
- Divulgação Verbete Escola Metódica
- Divulgação Verbete História Global
- Divulgação Verbete Scriptorium
- Divulgação Verbete História do Tempo Presente
- Divulgação Verbete Antiquário
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
The creation of a not recognized user group called Wiki-Sul, will demand forms of communication, promotion and expression. How we will do it, will be decided at the conference, but the following ones are some possibilities:
- For communication between the members of the group:
- a) Mail-list with all members;
- b) Some kind of chat for interaction (IRC);
- For promotion of the group activities:
- a) A blog for external divulgation;
- b) A page at Metawiki for internal accountability;
- Discuss the possibility of a work together at Wikipédia.pt and Commons;
- Discuss the possibility of holding an annual meeting of the group.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- We expect a number between 150 to 200 students and teachers in the conference as a whole;
- We expect between 5 and 10 studentes in each of the edith-a-thons;
- We expect to create a good enviroment at the UFSC to continue and expand the work;
With the round table and the minicourses we don't expect edited a x or y number of articles. We objected engage new editors, explain for them the basic modus operandi of Wikimedia projects, mainly Lusophone Wikipedia. Thus, the new editors or editions are consequence, not goal. The goal is present the potential of Wikimedia projects for the academic community, and let the people get involved.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Although almost the entire cost of the congress is financed by UFSC, we request funding for all activities on the third day of conference. These activities are centered on the articulation of the Wiki-Sul, both because of the choice of the guests, and in the chosen activities (Edith-a-thons, Wiki-meeting and round table).
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
- Trasportation for one experienced Wikimedian (from Porto Alegre / RS to Florianópolis / SC and back): Lechatjaune: approx. BRL 400,00 (approx. US$ 105,00) (Source: )
- Trasportation for one experienced Wikimedian (from Francisco Beltrão / PR to Florianópolis / SC and back): Stanglavine: BRL 6,21 (approx. US$ 2,00) (Source:  - Ticket low-cost subsidized by social programs of Brazilian Government)
- Hotel accomodation at Florianópolis close to UFSC for two experienced Wikimedians: Lechatjaune and Stanglavine - BRL 450,00 (two nights) + BRL 675,00 (three nights) = BRL 1125,00 (approx. US$ 300,00) (Source: )
- Wiki meet-up-expenses: BRL 15,00 per person * 30 = BRL 450,00 (approx. US$ 120,00)
Total: BRL 1981,21 (US$ 530,00 (rounded)) + Bank charges.
- GoEThe (talk) 16:57, 14 August 2018 (UTC) The Brazilian community can only benefit from meeting and discussing possible ways to move forward, after the de-recognition of the two existing affiliated user groups. Both Felipe da Fonseca and Stanglavine are a part of a new generation of Wikipedians, are well known and in good standing at the pt.wikipedia community and I hope they will be able to unite and motivate the editors from the south of Brazil. Good luck to them.
- Flávia Varella (talk) 13:47, 15 August 2018 (UTC) The event is crucial for the strengthening of a group of active editors in the southern region of Brazil.
- Alexandre Fiori (talk) 14:36, 15 August 2018 (UTC) As a member of the project, I perceive in it a great potential to make meaningful contributions to lusophone Wikipedia. In addition, the face-to-face meeting is an important way to expand and spread our work.
- Danielly Campos Dias (talk) 00:28, 17 August 2018 (UTC) We create within the Project Theory of History in Wikipedia a felling of partnership essential for the quality of the articles produced. I believe we can strengthen this fellowship with the community members who will be at the suggested event and expand it to new editors. It will be an enriching experience for all involved.
- Lechatjaune (talk) 20:00, 6 September 2018 (UTC)