Grants:Project/Rapid/Germain/Photo Hunting in Rwanda
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors and photographers
- Fill the gap in photos on Kinyarwanda Wikipedia
- Add or improve content on Kinyarwanda Wikipedia
I have been a contributor on Wikimedia and participated in the following contests and edit t a thon
- I worked on wpwp 2020 and 2021 projects. I participated and won the first prize in wiki loves Monuments in Rwanda. I also worked on wiki loves folklore 2021 and wiki Loves Africa and I won the Best contributor award.
worked on wiki Africa Challenge.
in all this projects especially on wpwp I noticed the gap on available photos on Wiki Commons for Rwanda especially in rural areas. part of my activities I attended different workshops like Wiki Indaba and Wiki Gap where we were mobilized to invite new contributors in Wikimedia Movements.
my assumptions are:
- Contributors are still few in Rwanda especial from rural community
- The phots which are already on commons are not contextualized so that we could accurately represent orginal images and articles from the realties in rural set up in Rwanda
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- the theme for this photographic campaign will be community resilience around the park in Rwanda
- I will share on my talk page the proposal and this will be in line with the objectives of our community
3. How will you let participants know about the edit-a-thon? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- I will reach out Wikimedia members in the provinces in order to identified new recruits
4. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? Please provide links to the usernames of these individuals.
- I will seek mentor ship from my leaders in Wikimedia Rwanda
5. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- my aim is to recruit 3 new photographers and 2 new Editors whom I will be responsible for mentorship , because my target is to have diversity in new recruits from various provinces and mainly in rural areas we will need equipment and transport to reach every one in their places and for the sake of following the COVID prevention measures , the mentorship will be one by one and on the field.
6. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- the Equipment rented will be shared among the new recruits even after the projects end we will continue to upload for the purpose of motivation and retention
7. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- the field work will be conducted one by one for the sake of following the COVID prevention measures
8. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- it's been one year and 7 months since I joined Wikimedia Foundation the main challenge
I have met was the lack of equipment (Camera and Laptop) I am confident that I will meet the goals of this Projects based on the support for renting I am expecting from this projects.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets
- Number of new recruits editors:5 among them 3 photographers
- Number of of articles created or improved:#Number of uploaded pictures:800, pictures will include animals from the parks but also the activities of communities around them showcasing the resilience
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- I have approached business to get a partnership so that I may get discount on their equipment
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Renting two Laptop :200USD
- renting camera : 480USD
- Transports and Accommodation in 4 provinces: 400USD
- Internet data for participant: 120USD
- Miscellaneous : 50 USD
Total: 1250 USD
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!