Grants:Project/Rapid/Giovanna Fontenelle/Editatonas Brasil
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add and improve content on Wikipedia
- Help editors increase their skills
- Decrease the gender gap
- Recruit new editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- A series of editathons:
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- In the last couple of years, we have helped to organize a few editathons about different topics, including some about neuroscience and gender. Considering our past history, we plan to let the community know about the event through the events pages, Telegram and Facebook groups, Wikipedia PT Village Pump and also by disseminating printed material at universities and other strategic places.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes, in every event, we always have some experienced editors available to help the newer users and to give lectures about the subject of editathon at the start of the day.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Yes, the participants will have the necessary skills needed to contribute. Regarding the necessary equipment, since the events are editathons, they require a large space and access to a considerable number of computers. Therefore, this grant will be necessary for renting a space with a proper structure.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- There will be a follow up by the Dashboard, so we know the participants. They will be encouraged to continue editing and may contact the organizers through Wikipedia and the social media described above.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- Through a verification of completeness and quality of content, the Brazilian community has perceive the need to improve the content on Wikipedia on certain subjects. Mainly, those we already have tradition editing, such as: history and art history, neuroscience and gender related topics. That's why we chose the topics for the editathons.
- Expected schedule for the events:
- 14:00 - 14:30 Opening + theme presentation
- 14:30 - 16:00 Editing
- 16:00 - 16:30 Lunch Break
- 16:30 - 18:00 Editing
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 6
- Number of participants: it varies by theme, but 15+ participants.
- Number of new editors: it varies by theme, but usually between 5 to 20 participants.
- Number of of articles created or improved: it varies by theme and number of participants, but 15+ articles.
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): 8+ participants.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- We have a few experienced editors that are available to present, guide and organize the editathons. Those users will be present in all the events.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Rent of space with at least 15 computers with internet access and data show: $ 215 * 6 = $ 1290
- Food and drinks: $ 88 * 6 = $ 528
- Printed material: $ 30 * 6 = $ 180
TOTAL: 1998,00 USD
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!