Grants:Project/Rapid/Global Open Initiative/Art + Feminism 2020 editathons Ghana/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
We were able to meet 95% of our goals due to the current COVID-19 pandemic. Despite the challenges we are am happy with the outcome of this project.
- A total of 4 events were organised: two offline and two online
- A total of 78 editors participated in all four events
- 124 articles edited and 35 new ones created on Wikipedia and Wikidata
- 39 pictures and 2 videos uploaded on Wikimedia Commons
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|4 events||4||We organised two offline events and two virtual events due to COVID-19|
|15 people attending each event||65 participants attended all events||➤ We had 36 participants attending the UDS event |
➤ 26 participants attending the event at AITI-KACE and
➤ about 12 participants attending each of the virtual events
|20 new editors||41 new editors||➤ We had 26 new editors for the UDS event. |
➤ 15 new editors from the event at AITI-KACE and
➤ no new editors for the virtual events
|45 Wikipedia and Wikidata articles created or improved||124 articles were improved and 35 articles created||➤ For the UDS event - 7 items were created and 21 items edited on Wikidata |
➤ For the event at AITI-KACE 24 articles were edited
➤ 11 items were edited for the first virtual event
➤ 68 items were edited and 27 items created on Wikipedia and Wikidata for the second virtual event.
|12 repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events)||41 new editors||➤ We had approximately 11 participants from previous events attending subsequent events|
|No target set||2 partnerships||➤ We collaborated with with two institutions for the offline events including i-Watch Africa and UDS|
|No target set||43 uploads to commons||➤ 41 pictures and two videos|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- There was proper planning and delegation of task among team members
- The events were well promoted. We designed flyers and promoted the events on our various social media platforms
- Our strategy of collaborating with other institutions helped us get a lot of participants to attend the offline events
- Engaging with the patron and executives of the Wiki club at UDS and delegating tasks among them ensured that the event was well organized and broadcasted via student's social media platforms and by word of mouth at lectures and other student gatherings.
- What did not work so well?
- For the UDS event, though the turnout was encouraging, there were not enough computers to ensure that everyone made an edit.
- Again for the event at UDS, we were faced with a cut in power supply which quite disrupted our process and activities for some minutes.
- Comparing the participation of the offline events with the online events, it is obvious our virtual events did not go so well. But that does not discourage us because organising online edit-a-thons is a whole new territory for us and we understand we are not going to get the best of results for a start. But as we continuously organise them more we will begin to learn what works and what doesn't work and with time, we will begin to see better results.
- What would you do differently next time?
- Make a checklist of other essentials such as speakers and microphones to ensure better communication.
- Develop a better social media strategy to encourage both online and offline event participation.
- In our future online events, we will organise breakout session on zoom. We will put participants into groups and let them work on articles together. Each group will contain two people.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|BUDGET FUNDS RECEIVED IN GHS||11,375|
|Item||Quantity||Unit Cost (GHS)||Amount (GHS)|
|UDS Navrongo Event|
|Transportation (Accra to Navrongo)||3||130||390|
|Transportation (Navrongo to Accra)||3||130||390|
|Breakfast for facilitators||3||112|
|Transportation from hotel to event venue and back to hotel||200|
|Water and Tissue||35.50|
|Breakfast and lunch for participants||30||1,500|
|Lunch and supper for facilitators||3||390|
|Payment to use ICT lab||500|
|Purchase of Router||485|
|Breakfast for participants||238|
|Lunch for participants||1,250|
|Extra Lunch for participants who did not get food||3||91.50|
|Water and Drinks||120|
|Offline Event Organisation|
|Internet Data for offline events||1,335|
|Renting of a projector for two events||400|
|Transporting of the projector to and from two events||120|
|Renting of Generator for UDS event||100|
|Fuel for Generator||20|
|Virtual Events Organisation and Report Compilation||1,290|
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Yes, we have remaining funds of GHS 1,107.35.
Anything else you want to share about your project?
- Outreach Dashboard metrics
- All Events - 
- Wikimedia Commons
- Landing Pages