Grants:Project/Rapid/Global Open Initiative/Art + Feminism 2020 editathons Ghana
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve Wikidata biographies of Ghanaian women in entertainment, sports, and entrepreneurship, as well as general notable personalities from Ghanaian Zongo communities.
- Recruit new editors on Wikidata
- Increase skills for existing editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
We are partnering with four organizations in the south and north of Ghana to organize all-day Wikidata editathon workshops from 7 March to 28 March of 2020.
In northern Ghana in the Upper East Region, we are organizing one event with the University for Development Studies Wiki Club. This wikiclub was set up by the Global Open Initiative Foundation earlier in 2019 as one of the outcomes of the Wikitours north of Ghana project. This event will be supported by the GOI Foundation team and partly facilitated by more experienced Wikimedians from remote in Accra, Ghana.
- University for Development Studies (UDS)
- Location: Navorongo campus, Novorongo
- Theme: Ghanaian Women Entrepreneurs
- Date: 15 February 2020
In southern Ghana, we are organizing three events with three partners in the Greater Accra region:
- Ghana Tech lab
- Location: Accra Digital Centre, Accra
- Theme: Ghanaian Women in Sports
- Date: 7 March 2020
- Ghana-India Kofi Annan Centre of Excellence in ICT
- Location: Ridge, Accra
- Theme: Ghanaian Women in entertainment
- Date: 21 March 2020
- Achievers Ghana
- Location: Mamobi, Accra
- Theme: Zongo women
- Date: 28 March 2020
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
Notifications have been posted on:
- Wikimedia Ghana Usergroup mailing list
- Wikimedians of Africa mailing list
- Global Open Initiative social media spaces:
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Sadik Shahadu (User:Shahadusadik), Facilitator and project lead - An experienced editor and a professional project manager with demonstrated history of success in coordinating Wikimedia related projects in Ghana. He is an organizer for Art + Feminism campaigns in Ghana and will lead this project.
- Harriet Bayel (User:Mwintirew), Facilitator - An experienced editor, has led several Wikipedia editathons in Ghana. She is a facilitator and a will be in charge of logistics.
- Emmanuel Yeboah (User:Kinvidia). Facilitator - An experienced Wikimedian. He has a vast experience in recruiting new volunteers.
- Jemima Antwi (User:Jemima2019). Communications - An experienced English-Twi Wikipedia contributor, trainer and a translator by profession. She will be in charge of communications.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Participants are advised to come with their own laptops as some of the computers at the labs are mostly faulty. No technical skills required. We will train them from scratch.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- We will engage participants on our WhatsApp and telegram groups. We also hold monthly community virtual meetup calls to discuss and address issues around editing and Wikidata.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This project is very important to us as Ghanaians. There is a huge gender gap on Wikipedia. We want to help fix that!.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 4
- Number of participants: 15 people attending each event
- Number of new editors: 20
- Number of Wikipedia and Wikidata articles created or improved: 45
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): 12
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|Zone||Item||Details||Unit GHS||Quantity||Total GHS|
|UDS Wikiclub||Venue space||UDS Wikiclub||500||1||500|
|Internet router||MTN 4G TurboNet device. The device will be used by the club for subsequent activities.||300||1||300|
|Internet data||Data expeted to be used||300||1||300|
|Projector||Rental of projector and screen||150||1||150|
|Water||500ml boxes of water||23||3||69|
|Refreshment (Light Breakfast + Lunch)||For 25 expected total participants in cluding support faciliatator who will be joining from remote||60||25||1500|
|Transportation (logistics)||to purchase logistics and return of projector||60||4||240|
|Transportation (fuel)||for event faciliataors not lodged on campus||60||2||120|
|Printing||Event posters (color), program outline, tutorial, etc||50||1||50|
|Accra events; Ghana Tech lab, AITI-KACE, Achievers Ghana||Venue space||Ghana Tech lab, AITI-KACE, Achievers Ghana||500||2||1000|
|Internet data||Data expeted to be used for 3 events||300||3||900|
|Projector||Rental of projector and screen||150||3||450|
|Water||500ml boxes of water||23||12||276|
|Refreshment (Light Breakfast + Lunch)||For all three events, budgeting for 25 at each event||60||75||4500|
|Transportation (logistics)||to purchase logistics for all three events||60||3||180|
|Transportation (fuel)||To-and-fro transportation (or fuel allowance) for facilitators for the 3 events||60||12||720|
|Stickers||Wikidata', '2020 Art + Feminism editathon in Ghana' stickers to go round for all||2||60||120|
|1 USD = 5.69555 GHS||GHS||11,375|
|Oanda Historical rates (January 17, 2020)||UDS||1997.173232|
- This project has my full support. I believe it will go along way to inspire more women and make society a better place.
- I fully support this project because it will engage more females, educate them to become more resourceful and produce more female editors.
- I believe this project will create awareness and bring on board more female editors. Desire seyram (talk) 10:55, 14 January 2020 (UTC)
- Support DaSupremo (talk) 11:13, 14 January 2020 (UTC)
- Support I fully support and endorse this project Per the Global Agenda to empower women in all sectors of professions and promote gender equality largely, this project provide opportunity for female editors to become more resourceful in building a better world. DekrametrDekrametr (talk) 11:25, 14 January 2020 (UTC)
- SupportKinvidia (talk) 12:51, 14 January 2020 (UTC)
- Support I endorse this project Sunkanmi12 (talk) 15:39, 14 January 2020 (UTC)
- Strong support Celestinesucess (talk) 20:37, 14 January 2020 (UTC)
- SupportAmuzujoe (talk), I endorse this because it provides a platform for women who are working hard to be known, example women in sports and many more. It will also open the avenue for young ladies to come on board to help edit Wikipedia. 02:45, 17 January 2020 (UTC)
- Support I will help prepare the lists for these events, and support in the facilitation of the events in Accra, and possibly virtually join the UDS Navorongo Campus event about Notable Ghanaian Women Entrepreneurs. —M@sssly✉ 15:51, 17 January 2020 (UTC)
- Strong support I fully endorse this project Shahadusadik (talk) 16:24, 17 January 2020 (UTC)
- It is about women got more involved in the world. Though all men are born free and equal, the descriptions are always different so I think this will really help women. 126.96.36.199 17:26, 17 January 2020 (UTC)
- It will help women in our various communities. Awudu Gunu (talk) 17:28, 17 January 2020 (UTC)
- Strong support Endorsed on behalf of Art+Feminism --Siankevans (talk) 15:00, 20 January 2020 (UTC)
- Support Ghanian editors have done an excellent job organizing, and I support this plan to build on that effort. It is particularly helpful to see that they have already planned out several events. --Theredproject (talk) 17:09, 20 January 2020 (UTC)
- To promote gender equality and promote feminism in all professions Rosy86 (talk) 15:00, 18 January 2020 (UTC)
- I fully Support this project because it will bring more female on board.Jemima2019 (talk) 21:13, 21 January 2020 (UTC)
- Great and interesting project, I fully endorse TereseB (talk) 11:39, 22 January 2020 (UTC)