Grants:Project/Rapid/Irvin Stotomas/10th Bikol Wikipedia Anniversary/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
The main objective of this project is to celebrate the 10th anniversary of Bikol Sentral Wikipedia thru a community engagement at two universities in the Bicol region, namely Ateneo de Naga University (ADNU) in Naga City and Central Bicol State University of Agriculture (CBSUA) in Pili, Camarines Sur.
We conducted a workshop at ADNU on 18 November to encourage participants to improve and create content in any Wikipedia edition and upload photographs at Wikimedia Commons. An awarding ceremony was held the following week wherein the attendees watched video presentations and joined discussion on issues beyond editing Wikipedia. On 25 November, we conducted a lecture on Wikimedia Commons which was attended by students and the director for research of CBSUA who looks forward to a formal partnership with PhilWiki Community. A photograph walk within the campus was done in the afternoon. The participants were given a week to gather photographs and upload them at Commons. However, most of the participants were still in an educational tour on 2 December hence they were not able to upload the photos. It then was decided by the organizers to extend the competition for another week. Two meetups were held on 24 November attended by the organizers and other invitees who are also teachers, and on 15 December attended by the winners and participants in the two events.
We were able to recruit new editors who can write good articles being a newbie. They must be engaged into editing and writing more articles thru follow up activities and regular meet ups. The interest of the photography walk participants as well as the new editors must be sustained thru other offline activities.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|2 events||3 events including a meetup held on November 24||events at Ateneo de Naga University (2 days), Central Bicol State University of Agriculture (3 days) and an anniversary meet up (1 night) were successfully held|
|20 participants||85 participants (including the organizers)||28 (November 11), 8 (November 18), 8 (November 24), 22 (November 25), 9 (December 2), 10 (December 15)|
|15 new editors||9 new editors/contributors at Wikimedia Commons||a total of 17 accounts were created: 14 participants did not use their accounts (November 11); 3 participants created an account at Wikimedia Commons, 2 including one user who already have an account uploaded photographs (November 25)|
|100 articles to be created or improved||21 created or improved||participants created/improved articles of their own choice instead of the listed articles|
|20,000 bytes||109,467 bytes||participants were given 7-day period to create or edit articles; the rewards motivated them to add contents|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- With proper coordination, partnerships with the Ateneo de Naga University thru the head librarian of James O'Brien SJ Library and with the Central Bicol State University of Agriculture thru the director of Research, old and new networks were reestablished.
- Collaboration with groups make organizing easier: Kaniguan members and staff of CBSUA's The Stateans served as event's photographers while Sumaro Bikolnon and the Supreme Student Government of CBSUA invited participants to the event.
- Rewards and freebies definitely attract attendees and motivate participants to achieve a target.
- Participants learn at a different pace hence giving them a period of time to learn things on their own is helpful specially to newbies.
- What did not work so well?
- We included Online Bikoliana Writing Contest as one of the activities since our expected participants at the workshop were teachers and students. However, they wanted to create articles of their own choice instead of the suggested subjects which are Bikolano writers and bibliography of Bikoliana publications.
- Bikol Wikipedia Forum, an open discussion for the other participants who are not into editing, was supposed to be done as the editing workshop happens, however everyone was glued at the workshop therefore the forum was not held. On 18 November, the organizers discussed with the attendees other matters beyond editing Wikipedia.
- Aside from the photowalk within the campus which went as planned, the other activity of the day at CBSUA was a scanathon. Hitting two birds with one stone just does not work all the time. This could be done at a separate occasion. One participant uploaded a few old photographs though which means there is hope to this endeavor.
- There are various reasons for not having a good number articles created as well as photographs uploaded, and invited participants to the other activities: 1) At least three participant's accounts or IP addresses was blocked by RadiX. I myself experienced this that is why I cannot contribute at Meta and Commons until 14 February 2018 unless I look for another facility. The block ID is #115928. I am currently working at a different location hence I can work again on these sites. I understand that I need to request the administrator there to unblock it but why would I. I find it absurd. I bet the newbies felt the same. 2) Most of the participants were newbies and one workshop may not be enough for them to learn the whole thing although there is a number of participants who were able to learn writing and uploading files on their own. 3) Most of the participants at CBSUA were students who had to prioritize their school projects and other things. In fact, most of them attended an educational the following week and they have totally forgotten about Wikipedia. One participant at ADNU who is a teacher needed to find time after class to work on his article. 4) Although most of the participants who attended are from the same area where the event was held, there are some who needed to travel hours just to attend the workshop, claim certificate and rewards at the awarding ceremony and experience a Wikipedia meet up. One teacher participant at ADNU had invited his class to come however only one showed up as they could not come because of the distance of the venue from their place. Some participants chose not to come to the awarding event and meet up for they could not afford to travel to the event. Two participants needed reimbursement for their transportation. 5) Generally, Filipinos use mobile phone to access the internet mainly for social networking and if they need to do other things like research or contributing to Wikipedia, they have to use a laptop or desktop which most of students do not have. This could be one major reason for not having a good result from the activities. Participants who were able to contribute at the two activities have a personal laptop and WiFi/internet connection at home hence they were able to participate.
- What would you do differently next time?
- We should invite more Wikimedians like Jojit and Billie bb who are knowledgeable and passionate about Wikipedia.
- We should focus in just one activity within a day and conduct another on a separate occasion.
- We would conduct a follow up activities to be participated mainly by users who have successfully created or started articles and uploaded photographs. It would be necessary to ask them first about the subjects they would want to work on in order to have a productive activity.
- There are participants who would need assistance in transportation therefore it should be included in the next proposal.
- There are participants who do not have the facility they need to work on Wikipedia beside their electronic resource center at the university. Assistance such as data credit or computer rental fee could be given to individuals who seek support.
- We do not have access to or a possession of the photographs taken by the participants during the events which could have been used here or for future presentations by the community since they have the copyright or they did not upload them anywhere. The community should request a camera for documentation and its photography initiatives.
Grant funds spent
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|Category||Item description||Approved allocation (PHP/USD)||Total actual cost (PHP/USD)||Notes|
|1. Promotional materials||Backdrop and event posters||P 3,000 (USD 58.98)||P 1,383 (USD 29.19)|
|2. Prepaid internet load||P 1,800 (USD 35.38)||P 0 (USD 0)||venues have internet connection|
|3. Swags||personalized tshirts (40) and eco bags (40)||P 8,750 (USD 172)||P 9,089 (USD 178.68)||including 12 notebooks as rewards|
|4. Food and drinks||Consumed by the participants and organizers||P 15,750 (USD 309.625)||P 15,197 (USD 298.75)|
|Workshop at ADNU (11/11)||P 5,414 (USD 106.43)|
|Awarding/forum at ADNU (11/18)||P 2,852 (USD 56.07)|
|Anniversary meetup dinner (11/24)||P 2,008 (USD 39.47)|
|Lecture at CBSUA (11/25)||P 3,525 (USD 69.30)|
|Uploading at CBSUA (12/2)||P 1,398 (USD 27.48)||awarding and meetup rescheduled on December 15 at Kape Naga (12/15)|
|5. Logistics||Consumed by the participants and organizers||P 7,860 (USD 154.25)||P 9,223.15 (USD 181.315)|
|Accommodation for 2 pax||P 3,500 (USD 68.80)||Jojit and Bel's accommodation for 2 nights|
|Transportation for 2 pax from the airport||P 560 (USD 11.01)|
|Pre-event dinner (11/10)||P 1,920 (USD 37.74)|
|Post-event dinner (11/11)||P 760 (USD 14.94)|
|Communication||P 600 (USD 11.80)|
|Meals||P 1,883.15 (USD 37.02)|
|6. Miscellaneous||Unexpected and other expenses||P 7,500 (USD 147.18)||P 7,855 (USD 154.42)|
|Anniversary cake||P 974 (USD 19.15)|
|Photo booth props||P 711.75 (USD 13.99)|
|Certificates and supplies||P 613 (USD 12.05)|
|Ink||P 320 (USD 6.29)||printing communications, program and certificates|
|Cellphone load credit (3 units)||P 900 (USD 17.69)||token for 3 volunteers|
|Pocket WiFi data||P 200 (USD 3.93)||monitoring at remote location|
|USB drive (3 units)||P 1,439.25 (USD 28.29)||additional rewards for writing contest|
|Coin purse (3 units)||P 597 (USD 11.74)||additional rewards for photowalk|
|Gasoline||P 2,100 (USD 41.28)||offset for transportation/fare|
|Total||P 44,660 (USD 876.442)||P 42,747.15 (USD 840.354)|
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
- There is a remaining amount of P 1,912.85 (USD 37.604). We intend to use it for a meetup early next year in order to gather suggestions from the participants on what projects or activities to conduct in 2018.
Anything else you want to share about your project?