Grants:Project/Rapid/Jagseer S Sidhu/Punjabi Audiobooks Project
- This project aims to create audiobooks by using content from Punjabi Wikisource. The purpose behind it is to follow the demand of time, interests of people, promote literature among new generations and provide material to Illiterate (some kind of olders or senescence) who want to spend their time, sort of, useful stuff. This project will be for those listeners who prioritize audio rather than written matter.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- Punjabi Wikinedians are working on Punjabi Wikipedia and Punjab Wikisource, actively. Now we want to promote content in Punjabi language not, merely, in written form as well as audio form also. 20 audio files will be created, edited and uploaded on Wikimedia Commons and then integrated with Wikisource by the end of the project.
- Before drafting the plan we experimented with some audios for listeners. A member of Punjabi community selected a few stories, recorded and after editing published them on Youtube. Further an idea came to the same volunteer’s mind and he discussed it with the fellow Wikipedians. Then, we formed a team and decided to run a project. During the implementation, in those audio recordings narrated Punjabi translated stories of world’s prominent writers. As being countriburter of Wikimedia Movement we understand the value of the work published and we respect the Public Domain process. So we are going to work on this project as a team where members of Punjabi Wikimedians User Group will work on. User Jagseer Singh is working as a Wikimedian-in-residence in a school where he has created audiobook with the students and also done three stories which can be found below.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to:|
Category:Punjabi Audiobooks Project
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to:|
Category:Punjabi Kaida by Charan Puadhi
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project? We consider this as a pilot project. It will be a learning and experimental project for the team. The focus point is quality and sustainability.
- Quality - Stories will be recorded by both volunteers and professional voiceover artists. For recording by volunteers we will provide them training it will be beneficial for the Punjabi Wikimedia community that we are spending time and energy for skill development of Wikimedians. We will have trained voiceover volunteers. Recording by professional voiceover artists will save time and provide satisfactory quality content and increase the diversity in the team.
- Sustainability - After greetings stories recorded by both volunteer and voiceover artists we'll trace what produces better results and increase viewership. We’ll also take feedback from some relative experts and will take this project to the next level.
After successfully implementing this pilot project we will have a team of trained Wikimedians and we will apply for the Project Grant to sustain the said initiative. All the equipment will be used in upcoming projects.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Total participants - 6
- Number of works recorded - 20
- Cumulative views on Social Media - 2000 views (per video) = 40,000 views
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
|1||Project lead||Jagseer S Sidhu|
|2||Co-leads||Nitesh Gill, Charan Gill|
|4||Other volunteers||Gill jassu, Satpal Dandiwal|
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
|Sr No||Item||Quantity||Price (INR)|
|1||"Microphones (Rode NT-USB USB Condenser Microphone, Blue Yeti USB Mic)||2||30,000/-|
|2||Headphones (Philips SHL3175BK/00 Headphones)||2||5,000/-|
|3||Voice over artist||-||15,000/-|
|5||Training for Volunteers||-||10,000/-|
|6||Social Media Promotion||-||15,000/-|
|Total||1,20,000/- (1,633 USD)|