Grants:Project/Rapid/Kata - Wards of Tanzania Photo competition
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Get useful photographs of Tanzanian wards
- Enter these into the existing articles on swwiki first and possibly also enwiki
- Take the chance to train new editors with repetitive task of entering images and thus build self confidence
- Train editors on using categories on commons by grouping images regionally and by district
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We ask for 1300 USD,.
- 877 USD to be used for airtime vouchers as prices for 50 photos (3 top, next 7 best photographs and 40 more prize photos)
- 319 USD to be used for upload and sorting editathons at 250,000 TSh each
- editathons will come after the competition, uploads will be done in cooperation with TZA at Dar es Salaam
- We estimate a number of 3 editathons are needed
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- By internal whatsapp, social media, press and other media
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes, we will form a committee with experienced editors from Wiki loves Africa, TZA and JWK user groups
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- *Photographers will not be trained. They get conditions for images to be eligible. Large number of price chances should bring good participation.
- *We have experienced editors to participate.
- *New editors will be guided. We expect them to learn fast the relatively easy job to put image links into articles and check if they work; texting the image comments gives them leeway to try some creativity.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- Invite them to meetups in Dar es Salaam, collect email contacts of photographers upcountry for future competitions
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- We want to do a useful photo competition that helps to close (a bit) the Knowledge Gap about Africa! We expect that most contributions can actually be used in articles, for sure all prized photographs. The crucial point will be the requested descriptions and the conditions for participating which will require identifiable images. We also see that repetitive editing (uploading and labeling images in existing articles is basically easy) is an excellent way to train new editors and has been a successful approach in our experience.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- one preparatory session
- 3 editathons for uploading 1000 images
- uploading 500 - 1000 images
- training 10 new editors
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding). we will use the space of Buni Hub at Dar es Salaam. Organizers are from JWT and TZA user groups.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- airtime voucher 3 best photos a 100,000 Tsh (128USD)
- airtime voucher 7 best photos a 80,000 TSh (=35 USD) -238 USD
- airtime voucher next 40 best photos a 30,000 Tsh (=13 USD) - 511 USD
- Cost for 3 ediathons, 20 participants, 250,000 TSh per editathon - 319 USD
- Overhead costs (Internet, etc) - 250,000 TSh - 106USD
- Total 1300 USD
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- This Project will help to have variety of photos for wards in Tanzania so that they may be uploaded to their respectively wards. Czeus25 Masele (talk) 15:19, 25 April 2019 (UTC)Olimasy
- I strongly support this. Articles will look much better with images. Muddyb Mwanaharakati (Activist) 16:57, 25 April 2019 (UTC)
- It helps community to know photo of their wards Mtongori (talk) 07:37, 26 April 2019 (UTC)
- I boldly support this project as it will help to refine the already existing wards by adding the corresponding photos.Jadnapac (talk) 18:56, 29 April 2019 (UTC)
- I too support this project for we need encouraging our people to take meaningful pictures which will keep record of a rapidly changing world and be useful also to teach in schools. --Riccardo Riccioni (talk) 09:38, 6 May 2019 (UTC)
- I support this project as well for all the above reasons. ChriKo (talk) 11:54, 6 May 2019 (UTC)
- This would be great, it would promote gathering of content in Tanzania, especially in wards where there is little public-domain. Rich Farmbrough 17:58 6 May 2019 (GMT).