Grants:Project/Rapid/Mossi Wikimedia Community/Translatewiki.net
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
The goal of this community is to bring to limelight Moore language through the Moore Wikipedia incubator and to work towards getting live on the wikimedia projects. The Mossi are a Gur ethnic group native to modern Burkina Faso, primarily the Volta River basin. The Mossi are the largest ethnic group in Burkina Faso, constituting 52% of the population, or about 11.1 million people. The Mossi are one of the Mole-Dagbani ethnic groups who are also in Ghana. In Ghana, the mossi constitute more than 505,000. We will do so by;
- Recruit new editors
- Recruiting and training new editors to translate the most commonly used words in the Moore language.
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content
- Train members on the basics of Wikipedia.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
- Online and offline training workshops will be organised to assist members to be acquainted with the tools and skills required to translate commonly used English words to Moore language via Translate Wiki.
- We will be meeting with Moore language teachers and writers from Burkina Faso who would assist for the project to run smoothly.
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- Two face to face training(one in Ghana and one in Burkina Faso), two online training and two online editathons sessions.
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- Communities will get to know about this proposal through Dagbani Wikimedia User Group social media handles below:
WhatsApp group Telegram Facebook:Dagbani Wikimedians Dagbani WIkimedians User Group subpages Dagbani Wikimedians Dagbani Wikimedians Mailing lists Moore Wikimedia Community
3. How will you let participants know about the edit-a-thon? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- We would share the link on our social media platforms and Wikimedia mailing list not excluding;
- Dagbani Wikimedians Mailing lists
- Dagbani Wikimedians User Group's
- Social media platforms like;
- Youtube channel
- The Moore Wikimedia social media platforms
- 4. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? Please provide links to the usernames of these individuals.
For example: User:I JethroBT
- The sub-project leads are as follows:
- User:Musahfm - Technical support
- User:Hasslaebetch - Facilitator and leader
- User:Alhassan Mohammed Awal- Facilitator
- User:Dhee jah - Logistics and communications
5. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Ans: Most of the participants are new to wikipedia and thus require a great deal of training and support to be able to contribute on wikipedia projects, especially on Moore wikipedia.
Majority of our community members access the internet and thus, would contribute on wikipedia mainly via smart phones. A handful of members have access to laptop computers.
6. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- We will continue discussions on the social media platforms especially on Moore Wikimedia community WhatsApp and Telegram pages including dagbani Wikimedians User Group's and its Mailing list.
7. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
Covid-19 risk assessment tool linked.
8. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This project will serve as a breaking-ground to improve the content of the moore language on Wikimedia projects.
By the end of the exercise, the group would have translated 100% of the most commonly used messages on Media Wiki as a requirement for requesting for a new language Wikipedia.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of total participants 20
- Moore incubator articles to be created=30
- Number of articles created or improved (if applicable) n/a
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (if applicable) n/a
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable) n/a
- Percentage of phrases to be translated = 100%
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The project will focus on translating the MediaWiki software on translatewiki.net beginning with the core MediaWiki that is currently made up of around 4000 phrases. We plan doing this using the active community members.
The sub-project leads are as follows: Musah Fuseini - Technical support Alidu Alhassan - Facilitator and leader Alhassan Mohammed Awal - Facilitator Iddrisu Khadijah - Logistics and communication
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|Item||Details||Unit Ghc||Quantity||Total Ghc|
|Breakfast and Lunch||We will have two in person workshops to equip the community with the skills they will need to be able to participate in translations (20 participants at each workshop)||100||40||4000|
|Data package for internet router during offline training workshops||We will have an in-person training workshop to train community members on how to use translate wiki.net and core media wiki||800||2||1600|
|Internet router rental and data allowance||We will rent internet routers and provide data allowance for the 20 volunteer members for the two sessions||500||20||10,000|
|Covid-19 Personal Protective Equipments (PPE)||Liquid soaps, Hand sanitizers and face masks||800||2||1600|
|Venue rental||Cost of venue to host 2 workshops||1000||2||2000|
|Transport||Two facilitators will travel to Burkina Faso to meet volunteers for in person training.||700||2||1400|
|Accomodation||Two facilitators stay for a day in Burkina Faso||500||2||1000|
|Meals||Amount for two facilitators to use for meals for the to and from journey from Ghana and Burkina Faso||600||2||1200|
|Bank charges, miscellaneous||Transfers and Reimbursement charges||n/a||n/a||150|
|Based on Oanda Exchange (August 11, 2021)||Ghc||22,950.00|
|1 USD =1 Ghc=6.25||USD||3672.00|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Strong support I endorse this project since this will help the language to be digitized and become a global product Dnshitobu (talk) 18:09, 12 February 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support I Strongly Endorse this Project Musahfm (talk) 18:43, 12 February 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support I strongly endorse this project since this would help promote another Mole-Dagbani language on WikipediaMusahfm (talk) 18:43, 12 February 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support I strongly endorsed this project Ruky Wunpini (talk) 18:37, 12 February 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support I strongly endorse this project Alhassan Mohammed Awal (talk) 18:47, 12 February 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support I strongly endorse this project Sir Amugi (talk) 20:08, 12 February 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support I strongly endorse this project Munkaila Sulemana (talk) 12:51, 13 February 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support I strongly endorse this project Tahiru Rajab (talk) 15:53, 13 February 2022 (UTC)
- Strong support Great initiative by the Mossi Community. I am endorsing on behalf of the Dagbani Wikimedians User Group.Shahadusadik (talk) 18:57, 15 February 2022 (UTC)