Grants:Project/Rapid/Multimedijalni institut/Wikipedia @20 - Zagreb
What kind of event(s) or activities are you planning to hold for your Wikipedia 20 event?
- 4 online EVENTS:
- 20 years of … - event made up of individual short video statements and presentations of different projects/initiatives in the Wikimedia and Creative Commons sphere (with overview of this ecosystem and interdependent relations)
- Abstract Wikipedia - lecture-presentation of Danny (Zdenko) Vrandecic + Q&A and discussion with Vladimir Klemo (in Croatian) including the reflection on how could this project help smaller Wikipedias
- … no longer a teen?!. - perspectives on digital commons from 20 years ago, now and 10 years forward; guests: Creative Commons - Alek Tarkowski (confirmed)
- contexting and contesting norms - presentations and worksessions with updates and innovations in social and formal aspects / from Universal Code of Conduct to particular de-colonial and feminist practices, projects like Queering Wikipedia and Wikispore - worksession with Z. Blace and queer-feminist wikimedians
- 2 spatial INTERVENTIONS:
- prototyping DIY graphic art as a poster and sticker campaign for open use in public space (to develop with collaboration with Clubture network partners)
- adapt/localize/print WMF graphs and visuals as a lightbox and roll-up banner designs (collaboration with Croatian GLAMs)
- 2 PUBLICATIONS:
- Wikipedia @ 20 (Croatian translation) translation, amending and digital publishing of selected essays from anniversary publication originally published in English as an open content publication
- 20 years of ... transcriptions, graphics and quotes from videos, programs and activities digested in a print zine format
If participants will be contributing to Wikimedia projects (such as in an edit-a-thon), do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? (If you are not doing this kind of event, please write N/A or leave the section below blank)
- There is only one interactive work-session in which we have Wikimedians with experience
If participants will be contributing to Wikimedia projects (such as in an edit-a-thon), do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them? (If you are not doing this kind of event, please write N/A or leave the section below blank)
- There is no pressure for participants to contribute to official projects, but rather experience and experiment after seeing demos in Wikispore and other MediaWiki instances
How will you promote and let participants know about your Wikipedia 20 event? Please describe or link to the spaces you will be using to inform your community about your activities. Please note there are resources available to support your communications for Wikipedia 20 events.
- How will you keep participants engaged after the event is over? How will you be sharing photos, videos, or other content from your activities after they are completed?
- We will follow up with hosting periodic activities by different thematic groups that use and advocate for Commons, Wikipedia and Open source software. We will offer monthly access to live streaming and audio-video recording, as well as scanning infrastructure we have been developing to groups willing to work on open digital commons.
- We will use last event to brainstorm with community members on how to adapt visuals and text to promote Wikipedia in Croatia in 2021 again after almost a decade of deteriorating reputation it had in its local instance.
- We will use both commercial services like youtube.com and flickr.com as well as Archive.org and Wikimedia Commons. We will use also at least 3 different social networks to promote content via different personal, project and institutional accounts.
- Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- No physical public events.
- Please confirm below that you have listed your event on the WP20 page on Meta-wiki.
- https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_20/Events/Zagreb@20 (will update if grant is approved)
- Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- Multimedia Institute did not get to celebrate much its 20th birthday in early 2020, so this would also be opportunity to at least celebrate its involvement with open digital commons and advocacy work via CreativeCommons and Wikipedia 20th birthday.
- We hope for more prosperous and innovative social, cultural and technological developments in Wikimedia space and take pride in Denny (Zdenko) Vrandečić as Croatian (who co-founded Wikipedia Croatia, that is now troubled project) leads the most innovative and inspirational new project of WMF at the moment after the big success of his Wikidata work.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of total participants: 4 x 4-10 invited participants for interactive sessions and general public of around 200-400 hundred
- Number of new participants: at least 10 in interaction + most of the general public
- Number of people who will help organize the event: 6
- Number of articles created or improved (if applicable): not
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (if applicable): at least 4 videos for each of events and 10 images
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable): at least 4 for events and 2 for interventions, but likely more
If you are organizing a meetup or event without any contributions to celebrate Wikipedia 20, we request that you ask participants to complete a brief survey to understand their experience and impact of your event. This survey will not request any personally identifying information. Will you be able to collect this information either during or after your event? (If you are not doing this kind of event, please write N/A or leave the section below blank)
- We can do that for at least one of the events.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Multimedia Institute will commit its own technological resources *(including zoom account) and staff to promotion, organization, administration and post-production of event to the amount of 80 hours total across 3 different staff members.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Additional development, organizational, admin and educational work will be done by at least 3 freelancers and 1 external service
- 400 USD graphics and print work and printing (external service and freelancer)
- 400 USD video cuts and related work (freelancer)
- 600 USD x4 events preparation and production work (by WiR Zblace)
- 200 USD educational work in worksession #4 (by WiR Zblace)
- 600 USD translation and lectoring of 4 essays (freelancer)
- 400 USD visual editing and publishing of zine (by WiR Zblace)
- 400 USD print costs for zine (external service and freelancer)
- 3000 USD TOTAL
Endorsements are not needed for events related to Wikipedia 20. Community members are welcome to provide feedback or questions on the talk page.