Grants:Project/Rapid/Nnamdi Azikiwe Library 2021 Art and Feminism English Wikipedia edit-a-thon
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We are doing two edit-a-thons and series of trainings.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- We are going to publicize the event at the University website (www.unn.edu.ng), library face book page (https://www.facebook.com/Nnamdi.Azikiwe.library/ ) , University radio (Lion FM) and Federal Radio Cooperation of Nigeria (FRCN), a federal radio station covering the whole of Eastern Nigeria where University of Nigeria is located. We will also publicize the program through posters, handbills and our existing edit-a-thon editors WhatsApp group platform.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes. Our facilitators have acquired enough experience. Two of them have been facilitators since 2017 and the other two since 2018. Moreover experienced editors like Mohammed Sadat ( User: Masssly) happily joins us remotely through Skype. Ms Zita Ursula Zage and Mr Olaniyan Olusholu will also join us this time through the same means.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Yes, participants have the equipment and skills needed to contribute high quality content. Our participants are graduate staff and students of public and private institutions in Enugu State. Most of them are University Lecturers who use computer technology every day for their research. So, they have the skill to work in online environment. The University Library also has three computer laboratories containing two thousand, three hundred and eighty computers. Both Local Area and Wide Area Internet Networks exist in the University. There is electricity and the University Library has a stand- by electric power generator. Furthermore, MTN Internet router, Projector screen and machine (Epson), Splinter, Public Address System, VGA cables belonging to Wikimedia Foundation but domiciled in the library for use during edit-a-thons are available
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- Already, there is an existing WhatsApp group platform for our participants. New members join the group as they come. Moreover, the library is planning to open a separate face book page for our editors.
6. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- We are running an in person activity. Link to my completed copy of Risk Assessment during COVID-19.
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- Yes. There is need for remuneration for our participants. Most of our participants are University Lecturers and post graduate students who operate under tight schedule. A little remuneration will go a long way in encouraging them. It will also be good to have prizes for repeat or returning participants (people who have been editing with us over the past years), best article editors and creators.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events 2
- Number of participants 50
- Number of new editors 35
- Number of of articles created or improved 50
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events) 15
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- We have the following resources:
Skilled editors, Good Library Space, 2, 380 laptop computers domiciled in the Library, Internet Connectivity (Both LAN and Wan), MTN Internet Router, Projector Machine and Screen, Public Address System, VGA cable, Splinter, Standby Generator and Electricity
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|Item||Details||Unit (NGN)||Quantity||Total (NGN)|
|Lunch||75 participants per event, made up of 50 editors, 5 facilitators, 2 IT
technologist, 2 drivers, 12 school children waiting for their parents, 2 cleaners and 2 Childcare attendants
|Tea break||For 75 people per event||650||150||97,500|
|Drinks||Bottled water 12 packets||900||12||10,800|
|Sachet water 6 packets||120||6||720|
|Flex Banner||For publicity: One to be placed at the entrance to the University and the other at the gate of the venue.||8,000||2||16,000|
|A3 Size poster||For publicity: to be pasted at public and private institutions in Enugu State.||50||42,000|
|Internet Data||To act as standby in case University internet network fails on the days of the events and for trainings||30,000|
|Childcare||Somebody to look after the children while their parents engage in editing||9,000||2||18,000|
|Diesel||For backup in case of power outage||220||100||22,000|
|A hired bus||To convey participants from outside Nsukka (Mainly Enugu to Nsukka)||15,000||2||30,000|
|Publicity: Lion FM||Lion FM is the local radio station at Nsukka, the host community of University of Nigeria||7, 500 (for
Federal Ration Corporation of Nigeria (FRCN)
|Nigerian Federal Government Radio station covering the whole of Enugu State||21,000 (for fifteen
|Prizes for best 3 editors||To boost morale and encourage participation||5,000||3||15,000|
|Prizes for the best 3 article creators||,,||10,000||3||30,000|
|Prizes for the first 5 repeat participants to enrol||,,||1000||4||4000|
|Face masks||As a precaution against COVID-19||100||80||8000|
|Water collection basin||,,||1000||2||2000|
|Certificates||This is only for facilitators and editors||400||55||22,000|
|Transportation||For facilitators during trainings. Trainings are held at the two major towns in Enugu State. Enugu town and Nsukka.||45,000|
- Conversion rate: OANDO, Tuesday Jan. 12, 2021. Conversion rate NGN 1 = USD 259. *Please note that this conversion rate is not attainable in Nigerian open market. The conversion rate at the Nigerian open market is much higher than this.
This is a project of Nnamdi Azikiwe Library, University of Nigeria, Nsukka under the administration of Dr. Michael O. Okoye, acting University Librarian.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!