- Increase awareness of Wikimedia projects
- Present an import research work + development on improving article review around Wikipedia at a top social computing conference (CSCW2018)
- Create awareness among researchers and developers in the social computing sphere about ongoing research efforts and opportunities around Wikipedia
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What is the purpose of the event you're attending and why is it important that you attend?
ACM CSCW is the premier venue for research in the design and use of technologies that affect groups, organizations, communities, and networks. Bringing together top researchers and practitioners, CSCW explores the technical, social, material, and theoretical challenges of designing technology to support collaborative work and life activities. It explores how technologies can enable new ways of living and working together. The conference has a dedicated track for research around Wikipedia which is used to create awareness each year about research around Wikipedia.
I'm a volunteer developer and part-time researcher associated with the Wikimedia Foundation since 2014 in various roles and intend to attend this conference to present my work on Improving new draft review on Wikipedia using topic predictions done with the Scoring platform team in 2017-18 for improving article review on all wikis using topic prediction. It is a crucial research that talks about ways to improve draft review using Artificial Intelligence on Wikipedia. The research is specifically dedicated to Wikipedia and presents a great opportunity to let attendees( researchers and industry ) know of the work and how to engage in Wikipedia based research. In addition, I wish to attend this event so that I can create awareness in the social computing and collaborative learning research community about the ongoing research opportunities with Wikipedia and motivate them to engage.
2. Will you be presenting at the event?
Yes, I will be presenting at the event the paper on the above topic that got accepted to the conference (Acceptance rate: 25%)
3. What kind of outreach activity do you plan to do?
My contributions as part of my attendance are intended to be two fold:
- Presenting the work on Improving new draft review on Wikipedia through topic predictions which got accepted to the conference.
- Meet researchers/industry practitioners in the domain of the conference (collaborative learning and social computing) and explain them the various ongoing research activities at Wikipedia and how to engage with them. Having been associated with Wikimedia Foundation both as a developer and as a part-time researcher since 2014 I think I'm in a great position to perform this kind of outreach.
5. Do you have a specific networking plan? (e.g. specific people, organizations, groups you would like to develop partnerships with)
I intend to identify key people who have been researching in domains related to Wikipedia and educate them about the opportunities at the same through one-one interactions in addition to presenting the aforementioned work.
6. What is your plan to follow-up with new contacts?
Email and connecting them with existing members in the community.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets as applicable:
Publication and presentation of the work itself at the conference is a goal as it brings research community's attention to Wikipedia.
- Number of presentation attendees: 50
- Number of new potential partners: 5
What resources do you have? Include in-kind donations or additional funding.
As of now, I don't have any additional resources.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
I need the grant for covering my travel and living expenses for the duration of the conference.
- Travel from Bengaluru, India to New York, USA and back: Rs. 70000 ~ 1000$
- Living expenses in New York from 3rd to 7th November 2018 - Rs.21000 ~ 300$
- Conference registration fee - 275$
Total: 1575 USD
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Sumit developed the fundamental components of this technology and did most of the paper-writing work. Outreach to this research community has driven a lot of recent research of Wikimedia project dynamics and the development of new technologies to support wiki-work. --EpochFail (talk) 17:07, 14 August 2018 (UTC)