Grants:Project/Rapid/Sumitsurai/Exploring East Anglia
Please see the sample Photowalk application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. You can add details to each goal.
- Add photographs of graded listed buildings of few towns and cities of East Anglia
- Add as many quality images as possible
- Link images with respective Wikidata items
- Enhance Wikivoyage articles of the visited cities and towns with image and text content
This project aims to cover the following places in East Anglia
- Bury St. Edmunds
The above mentioned places have lots of content gap as far as listed heritage buildings' images are concerned. As I am currently living in Ipswich, which is centrally located near the above places, it would be possible for me to easily travel to these places and photograph the places. The project also aims to link those images to their respective Wikidata items. And enhance the Wikivoyage articles with image and data. I have already started doing the same for Ipswich and have uploaded images of around 200 such buildings. These images are in the process of being linked to Wikidata items too.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. How many walks/tours will you organize and how many people on each walk?
- I aim for 14-15 walks in the 8 above mentioned places. The smaller places like Orford can be covered in a single day, while bigger places like Norwich will need more. The walks will be done mainly by me, as I will choose days with best possible weather and travel within short notice (2-3 days). However I plan to create event pages where local Wikimedians can show interest and if available within short notice can join me.
2. What kind of content will the walks focus on? Why is this topic a priority?
- The walks will focus on listed heritage buildings. It will also focus on quality of the images. This will not only ensure that most wikidata items have images associated to them, but also most places in the regions covered have quality images. I saw lack of good images in Ipswich and started working on it, and have successfully covered a good part. I aim to do the same for the above mentioned places too. Apart from photos I plan to collect other data like travel details, restaurant names etc. to add / update to Wikivoyage articles.
3. What is the plan to ensure images will be used on Wikimedia projects?
- The photographs after being uploaded to Commons will first be linked to Wikidata items. Then the Wikivoyage articles will be enhanced where applicable.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- I will be the main contributor as mentioned above. I have 80+ QI in Commons and almost all the QI of Ipswich are by me. I also won the second prize in the recently concluded Heritage Open Days photography competition organised by Heritage Open Days and National Trust, England. I have a Sony Alpha 6000 mirrorless camera which produces high quality images.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- I have given start date as 1st January 2019, but can start before that also if the grant is approved. But it would be better if I start atleast by 1st January 2019, as I might be travelling to India shortly after the first quarter of the year.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of towns/cities covered : 8
- Number of Photowalks : 15
- Number of participants : 1
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons : 1500
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects : 800
- Number of Wikidata Items improved : 800
- Number of Wikivoyage Articles Added/Improved : 8
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|S. No.||Item description||Amount|
|1||Travel Expenses||£ 300|
|4||Entrance Fees||£ 35|
|Total Amount in £||580|
|Total USD Amount||753|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!