Grants:Project/Rapid/The Living love/Wikipedia Awareness in Kaduna metropolis
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- Raise public awareness about Wikipedia in order to encourage people contribute to the project
- Recruits new contributors/users
- Add and improve content
- Train existing editors
- Meet people face to face as this will help us know what objections they have and to find ways for improvements and to persuade them to join
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- We plan to go on 6 trips and walks over a period of one month round the city centers holding promotional materials and sharing pamphlets with important information about Hausa/wikimedia projects
- plan to hold a training during the campaign
- we will visit some selected secondary schools and colleges to meet students and staffs so as to share with them our experience contributing to Wikipedia and the joy/benefit involve in doing that.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- social media (Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp)
- To reach out to locals within Kaduna metropolis who are mostly Hausa speakers to know about wikipedia projects in their language
- Promote access and use of wikipedia for gaining knowledge so as to increase the project readers
- Promote Hausa culture, language and it's people
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- we aim to recruit new contributors and increase awareness about wikipedia to the public who usually are unaware about contributing to open source encyclopedia specially in their own languages
- We will encourage new recruits to register themselves to our community user group and social media handles so that they will be connected always
- A test contest will be organise after the events, aim to keep hold of new users while it will create a feeling of togetherness and at the end small prizes will be given to winners e.g T-shirt, voucher, stickers etc (NB: this is separate with this project)
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- If atleast Number of total participants reach 60
- If atleast the Number of new contributors join reach 15
- Increase in number of pageviews to Hausa Wikipedia
- Addition of quality content and improve stubs during the training
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
I am an active Wikipedian, with the username The Living love, contributing mostly to Hausa Wikipedia and enwiki, I'm a student of Urban and Regional planning, I will organize the project with the help of some Volunteers and some of our Wikimedia User Group Northern Nigeria members, and any support from anywhere else that would be of help to us for the success of this project is highly welcomed.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
|S/N||Item||Quantity||Unit Cost (NGN)||Total cost (NGN)||Total cost (USD)||Notes|
|1||Training space||1||100,000||100,000||327||space for the training venues and some laptops to be hired.|
|2||Data (internet access)||1||15,000||15,000||49||Data for internet access during the trainings|
|3||Snacks and refreshments||1||2,000||20,000||66||20 participants to participate for the training|
|4||Bus tickets||1||20,000||20,000||66||Bus tickets to/from to reimburse organizers for the training|
|5||Banner||NA||30,000||30,000||98||Banner to be used during the training and for future initiatives|
|6||Food & Beverages||6trips X 5persons||2,000||60,000||196||Refreshment for organizers/volunteers during the trips.|
|7||Transport||6trips||10, 000 * 6trips
||80,000||262||A vehicle will be hired at 60, 000 to Transport organisers volunteers for the 6trips, |
|8||Fliers/pamphlets||--||30, 000||30, 000||98||To be shared during trips|
|9||Contingency fees||During the whole event||30,600||30, 600||100||for contingency|
|-||TOTAL PROJECT COST||1||385, 582||385, 582||1, 294||**Forex rate used is $1 = 305.8, provided by the Central Bank of Nigeria|
Support The committment of the organizer to the Hausa Wikipedia project is very impressive, and this project makes a lot of sense as Kaduna is one of the biggest cities where Hausa is spoken, where no event has been organized yet. --DonCamillo (talk)