Grants:Project/Rapid/Toresetre/Concert photography 2019
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit high-quality", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- add high quality content from three to four music festivals in Norway.
I plan to cover three cultural events in 2019 that require travelling. These are:
- Kongsberg Jazzfestival (July) https://kongsbergjazz.no/. This is an intensive festival that covers a big range of musical styles, from avant-garde to mainstream jazz and pop/rock. 10-15 concerts every day for 4 days. Located near Oslo in eastern Norway.
- Stavernfestivalen (July) http://www.stavernfestivlen.no/. A large event with music from pop, rock and electronica. A younger audience than the other festivals. Artists here often have a large fanbase and Wiki-articles of artists from Stavern typically are read by many.
Molde Jazzfestival (July) https://www.moldejazz.no/. A legendary and long-running festival, probably the most well-known jazz festival abroad. More spaced out and relaxing, with fewer concerts every day. More traditional jazz, plus other cultural expressions like spoken words/poetry and of Sami culture. Set in western Norway.
- Jazz på Jølst (October) http://www.jolsterjazz.com/. A small festival with a history of an impressive booking. Set in a village of bohemian reputation and well connected to the music scene in western Norway. Celebrates the 10 year anniversary this year.
Other festivals that does not require travel:
- Piknik i Parken (June) http://www.pipfest.no/. A green festival with mostly indie pop/rock acts. Have been good at identifying emerging artists and booking smaller artists from abroad.
- Oslo Jazzfestival (August) http://oslojazz.no/. A wide range of jazz hosted at 20-30 stages in Oslo.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- Identify potential music festivals and concerts. The list has been compiled after discussions at various Wiki-events through the previous year. Candidates: https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruker:Toresetre/2019-prosjekter/Festivaler
- Apply for photo accreditation to the festivals and concert organisers
- Plan the attendance. Identify minority and under-represented artists.
- Attend the music festivals and photograph artists. Network with other photographers, artists and festival management
- Use social media accounts of Wikimedia chapter organizations to showcase the project (like Wikimedia Norge)
- Post-process, add metadata and upload photographs to Commons.
- Update Wikidata with missing information about the subjects.
- Increase quality of metadata through help from Wiki-community (contributors) and embed photographs in Wikipedia articles. I will use the experience from previous community engagement to engage the community (example 1), (example 2), (example 3).
- Write a report and present the result to the festivals and artists
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- Invitation to give suggestions, input or participate at Torget (Norway): https://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Torget#Konsert_og_arrangementsfoto_i_2018
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- Added several hundred photographs to Commons
- Added data and increased quality at Wikidata
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of total participants: 1
- Number of articles created or improved: More than 100 (entries at Wikidata)
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: More than 300
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable): Photos used in more than 150 articles in more than 30 projects
- Number of events : 5 festivals
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Contact/network of festival organizers, artists, media, bloggers etc.
- Photography equipment
- Templates for workflow, metadata, processing photographs etc.
- Experience in concert photography, planning and in working with the Wiki-community
- Experience in using Wikimedia Commons, Wikidata and language projects
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
- Funding (all amounts in NOK):
- Kongsberg Jazzfestival: 8.000 (travel and accommodation - 4 days)
- Stavernfestivalen: 5.000 (travel, food and accommodation - 3 days)
Molde Jazzfestival: 17.000 (travel and accommodation - 7 days)
- Jazz på Jølst: 4.500 (travel, 3 days)
- Bank fees: 200
- Total budget: 17.700 NOK
- Requested amount: 17.000 NOK
- Covered by grantee: 700 NOK