Grants:Project/Rapid/Up-to-date medical textbooks
Please see the sample Equipment application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. You can add details to each goal. For example, if you want to add content on a specific subject.
- Add or improve medical and health content on the English and Haitian wikipedias.
- Create categories and search templates related to health articles.
- Recruit new editors
- Engage existing editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content gaps will you be filling with the equipment?
- Geriatric medicine, Gynecology, Obstetrics, Neonatal medicine and associated content for Wikidata
2. What activities will you organize in the next 6 months to create content and use it on Wikimedia projects?
- The time frame for the proposed activities will have to be adjusted to be later than 6 months from now due to the anticipated delay in reviewing this application. Proposed activities will be to organize an edit-a-thon at the University of Pittsburgh and target the faculty, staff and students there for invitation. Local wikipedians will also be invited. Another possible activity is to participate in other edit-a-thons that are within traveling distance of Pittsburgh. Since the texts requested are unusually heavy, flying them anywhere would be hundreds of dollars. Participants at events where these texts are available will be taught to:
- Register a username
- Learn the basics of the 'Five Pillars' and how to determine notability
- New users will be guided through their first edit and setting up their user and talk page
- New users will given additional information on how to edit using the Visual Editor.
3. How will the equipment be shared/tracked/cared for by members of your community?
- The texts will be 'checked out' during the events and returned after the event.
4. How long will the equipment be used, and by whom?
- I will be the major person using these resources. In addition I can contact the Wikipedia Library to let them know that I would be happy to share information related to these topics with other editors. I will leave an announcement on the Women and Feminism Wikis, WikiProject Medicine talk page and the WikiProject Women's Health talk page. The use of the equipment will be used for the duration of their acceptability as references for medical and health content. This varies by book since the years of publication vary.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- Sharing this resource will require the ability to transport them. So, sturdy containers are needed along with dollies that can handle the weight.
- Even though I am a Wikipedia Visiting Scholar, I don't have access to these printed resources
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of articles created/improved:
- The number of articles created will be tallied. Improvements are harder to track (for me) but are available for review on my contribution page. I can add a note to edit summaries so that edits made with these resources can be tracked. Requiring a tally of improved articles is not practical for me since I edit so quickly that it would take more time to record edits than to do them. I would be willing to place a small template on the talk pages of articles that are improved substantially with the resources from Wikimedia. Identifying the content that was added from resources provided by a Wikimedia fast grant can be estimated by counting the number of links to the template.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The resources that are already in use related to this grant are:
- Some printed materials that I have purchased myself but they are aging. Because of this they become less reliable. This is due in part to the referencing guidelines established by the en:MEDRS and en:MEDMOS. These referencing requirements to not currently exist in the ht:Wikipedya or WIKIDATA.
- I am organizing the project. I have experience in helping to organize edit-a-thons in the Pittsburgh area. In addition, my experience in creating content related to these topics is notable. I have extensive experience in creating medical articles, article talk pages and medical templates. I have access to meeting places for edit-a-thons. I have trained other editors and I will continue to train other editors.
- I will recruit those local wikipedians to engage in edit-a-thons.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Please see the talk page for this listing since it is quite long. The total amount requested is $2000 since the shipping costs cannot be determined at this time.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!