Grants:Project/Rapid/WMROMD/Feminine personalities from Romania and Moldova
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
The project supports achievement of one of the main strategic objectives of the WMROMD-UG, namely to reach a minimum threshold of 10-15% female contributors at the Romanian Wikipedia, over the next three years (starting from less than 2% now). In this respect, we will follow the next operational goals:
- Encourage potential female contributors to participate and recruiting new editors
- Developing skills for existing editors
- Creating and developing articles about Romanian and Moldovan woman personalities
- Demonstrating and learning how collective editing works
- Providing quality training and support for the new editors
- Developing a friendly and collaborative work environment
The project supports achievement of one of the main objectives of the WMROMD-UG, namely to reach a minimum threshold of 10-15% female contributors at the Romanian Wikipedia, over the next three years (starting from less than 2% now)
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- The projects inlcudes a series of 5 (five) related activities, as follow:
- 1 online writing contest - 01 March-31 May 2018
- 4 offline meetings:
- - Theme: Feminine personalities from Romania and Moldova
- - Place and date: Bucharest, 24 March 2018
- 2 simultaneous editathons
- - Theme: Feminine personalities from Central and Eastern Europe
- - Place and date: Bucharest and Kishinev - 21 April 2018
- - Connected with CEE Spring project
- 1 editathon
- - Theme - Feminine personalities from Romania and Moldova
- - Place and date: Bucharest, 19 May 2018
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- dedicated page on Romanian Wikipedia
- Facebook page of Romanian Wikipedia
- Facebook page of Wikimedians of Romania and Moldova User Group
- direct contact and notices to potential comunities
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes. The project will be coordinated and supported by the members of Wikimedians of Romania and Moldova User Group.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Being the first event of this type ever conducted on Romanian Wikipedia, it will be open to all those who wish to contribute according to their possibilities.
- From our previous experience and having in mind the specificity of the project, we expect that some people will require a specific training, on such issues as writing texts and creating the basic structure of Wikipedia articles. For this reason, we planned a brief training session at the beginning of the editathons, as well as a dedicated training workshop within the project.
- We try to ensure that the majority of participants have their personal equipment to edit. In case this does not happen, we are able to make available some tablets. In addition to this, we have free access to internet.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
Our intention is to follow a series of activities, such as:
- sending a welcome message to new editors after the event
- monitoring the work done by new editors between the edtitahons so they can answer questions and offer feedback; most probably using hashtags in edit descriptions
- disseminating the results of the contest through articles in Wikipedia, photographs and media release
- starting a Facebook group for editathon participants to talk - draft
- implement a mailing list for sending informative and motivating emails to the subscribers.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- The project is part of the first Annual Plan of the new-constituted Wikimedians of Romania and Moldova User Group.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events - 5
- Number of participants - 20/event
- Number of new editors - 30/project
- Number of of articles created or improved - 60
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events)
- 5 (at all 4 offline activities)
- 7 (at least 3 offline activities)
- 10 (at least 2 offline activities)
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Until now we are in discussions with some potential partners, being possible to obtain free of charge of venue rent (at least fore some events). The location in Chișinău is already booked for April 21, and it is free-of-charge: Hasdeu municipal library
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Venue rent = (3 x $ 40) = $ 120
- Food and drink for 4 events x 20 people = $ 400
- For online contest (1 x $ 50, 1 x $ 35, 1 x $ 15) = $ 100
- For editathons:
- "Queen of editathon" (4 x $ 25) = $ 100
- "Debutante of the day" (4 x $ 15) = $ 60
- Reference materials on the subject of editathons
- Digitization = $ 20
- Copying and printing = $ 50
- Promotional materials (posters, banner, t-shirts, brochure, pins, stickers, certificates etc.) = $ 300
- Child care = (4 x $ 25) = $ 100
- Office supplies = $ 40
- Transportation and accomodation for female editors from outside Bucharest = $ 200
- Bank transfer commissions - $ 10
Total = $ 1510
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!