Grants:Project/Rapid/WUG WMSK/Pride on Wiki 2022
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve content
- Recruit new editors
- Engage existing editors
- Promote Wikipedia among the public
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- The contests focuses on improving existing and writing new articles on LGBT history, biographies of LGBT personalities (especially ones active in gay liberation movement), LGBT organisations and other related issues. Considering those topics are highly underrepresented on the Slovak Wikipedia as well as on the Slovak-language Internet, this event contributes to raising Slovak public's awareness of LGBT history and current issues that people of said community face through neutral, fact-based and highly informative articles on the Slovak Wikipedia.
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- We announced our intentions to organise this event (“Wiki Loves Pride”) first on the 15th of January 2022, i.e. before the Annual General Assembly which approved this plan. The community has been informed in Kaviareň (“Café”, i.e. editors' discussion) as well as on editor Lišiak's page.
3. How will you let participants know about the contest? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- Announcement on Wikipedia (see event landing page and outreach dashboard and on our social media channels:
- as well as the press release and social media channels of our partner Iniciatíva Inakosť (“Initiative”)
4. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
Note: Grantees, judges, and other contest leaders are ineligible to receive prizes. Grantees who are serving as judges may not receive gifts through grant funding.
- Contributions will be accepted only if they fulfill the following criteria:
- Adherence to theme of the event: Does the article relate to LGBT? For example, is it a biography of a LGBT personality or an article on gay liberation history, LGBT organisation or an issue?
- Neutral point of view: Does the article conform to Wikipedia policy of a neutral point of view? Does it support its claims by reliable sources? Does it use objective language?
- Citation of reliable sources: Does the article use reliable sources? Does it follow ethical citation guidelines and use citation templates?
- Writing style: Is the article written in an encyclopedic style?
- Contributions will be further judged on and awarded points based on the following criteria:
- Completeness: To what extend can the article be considered exhaustive on a given topic? (Imagine it is presented as a definitive study of current state of knowledge on a given topic.) 1 to 10 points (1 point to a stub, 10 points for an exhaustive article)
- Grammar. 1 to 5 points (1 point for an article with several grammatical errors, 5 points for a grammatically flawless article)
- Article length. 1 point for each 3000 bytes of plaintext
- Adherence to Wikipedia markup standards (using wikilinks, etc.). 1 to 5 points (1 point for an article with several markup issues, 5 points for a flawless article)
- Adding own photo or illustration to an article. 5 points for each photo or illustration that enhances the article
- The three participants with the highest number of points will receive a prize. An additional prize will be awarded to a new editor with the highest number of points. (Those two prizes are cumulative.)
5. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- Photos and illustrations will be uploaded to Wikimedia Commons during the contest.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This is the first project on Slovak Wikipedia with a specific aim to broaden the content about LGBT-related issues and increase the LGBT representation on Wikipedia.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For writing contests:
- Number of participants: 20
- Number of articles created or improved: 50
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Our partner organisation will help with promotion campaign and provide additional merchandise for contest winners.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- The following resources will be needed to successfully organise the contest:
|Item||UOM||Qty||UOM Price||Total price|
|Writing contest prize for the 1st place (bookstore voucher)||PC||1||100.00||108.63||100.00||108.63|
|Writing contest prize for the 2nd place (bookstore voucher)||PC||1||75.00||81.47||75.00||81.47|
|Writing contest prize for the 3rd place (bookstore voucher)||PC||1||50.00||54.32||50.00||54.32|
|Writing contest prize for the best new editor (bookstore voucher)||PC||1||100.00||108.63||100.00||108.63|
|Writing contest winner glass plaque 14x11x4 cm (5.5x4.3x1.6 in) including the engraving, case and shipping||PC||4||60.00||65.18||240.00||260.71|
- Estimate based on OANDA currency converter as of the 15th of April 2022
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!