Wiki Lebanon on the Rise- Funding Proposal Story
I am Fatima known as Tima93Lb as well as an old account which was lost Fatima993 , the founder of Wiki Lebanon. Hear our story out, before heading to what we are looking for. You know, I always believed that Wiki was the perfect platform for quality content. I never imagined this spark to blossom and views. I have just started being a loyal Wikipedian in Sep 2020 with Wiki SDG Love Week event. There I met the amazing community and learned so much in so little time. I learnt that all words, clicks, letters, and energy boosts count . Experienced Wikis out there have ignited the spirit to appreciate every single contribution made. I loved this. Not expecting myself to be a winner but exerted all the effort to make out of the experience.
In the end, I was selected among the top 9 global contributors. It made me feel proud. I could not but start thinking that if those experienced Wikis are sharing all the knowledge and are so supportive, why can't I be like that? It is Dec 2020, and I have achieved two awards from Wiki events and this is warming to my heart. Not only that, but also these events allowed me to collaborate with other passionate writers and editors like myself. Is that all? No, I am eager to influence more and more aspiring Wikipedian's in my country which goes back to my ability to influence my close circle. Yes, they believed in my passion and joined the event. Guess what? Two of my friends including me were listed as top winners during Wiki4Climate Change.
This is what counts, trying and contributing to the world, and above all networking with like-minded people. This is when I paid close attention to what other communities are doing. I was inspired by the Nigerian community in my first event. Believe me, they showed dedication and immense love towards their contributions. I wanted this excitement to expand and reach my community . Today, I plan to grow a community in my country to talk and share stories about what each one can do for the globe and his community. We aim at contributing to all Wiki events when possible and mainly develop our Lebanese segment out there. I am blessed with the initial believers who are already contributing and supporting.
In the short run, starting early 2021 my team and I will be developing and updating SDGs and other articles for the Lebanese context only. As a later step, we will create collaborations with the MENA region. Not only that, we aim at creating social media campaigns to promote Wikipedia Culture alongside with Wiki Lebanon initiative.
This way we encourage people to eliminate the misconceptions they have and encourage them to take part in this virtual family of editors. Creating campaigns will not only be limited to celebrating Wiki but it will prolong to stay as long as it deserves to be. We started a Facebook Group and we are always adding similar editors to it. However, when it comes to huge marketing efforts it needs a larger team than we have yet we lack the funding to sustain the efforts we are trying to implement.
We aim at encouraging every single individual through monthly contests where they will win prizes and achievement certificates.
Just like the events we are being part of, this will be an amazing strategy to adapt but with extreme exerted effort on promoting Social Media which cannot be done without financial support.
Certificates that are launched by Wikimedia are even worth the prize and more. It means a lot to our community and motivates us as dedicated contributors to be appreciated through such certification from Wikimedia and hopefully our team will be having the affiliation of Wiki Lebanon.
As for the experienced contributors, speaking of myself the founder of this initiative, I have average knowledge of editing but sure I need more time and mentoring to be better. Yet, I can guide a team on the content level and referencing. Along the way, I will be developing the other skills needed to be of good support to the volunteer, but honestly, I cannot do it alone. I need Wikimedia to support me through the launching stages until they find me experienced enough. Looking forward to having our voices heard for we echo our own and yours!
- What kind of event(s) or activities are you planning to hold for your Wikipedia 20 event? Please let us know if these events include a meetup, edit-a-thons, workshops, photowalks, contests, or any kind of campaign. Starting a virtual event, stationaries with wiki Logo for promotion, book gifts on Social Media to encourage people, T-shirts and stationery with Wiki logos.
- If participants will be contributing to Wikimedia projects (such as in an edit-a-thon), do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? (If you are not doing this kind of event, please write N/A or leave the section below blank)
- We call ourselves beginners, not experts. Personally, I won two prized from previous Wiki events and I am super good with content editing but I would highly need guidance during the stage of 10 Days Hackathon.
- If participants will be contributing to Wikimedia projects (such as in an edit-a-thon), do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them? (If you are not doing this kind of event, please write N/A or leave the section below blank)
- Yes,I can guide only with measuring the quality of resources and how to submit edits but I would need help from Wikimedians through the ten days event.
- How will you promote and let participants know about your Wikipedia 20 event? Please describe or link to the spaces you will be using to inform your community about your activities. Please note there are resources available to support your communications for Wikipedia 20 events.
- We would love to start a social media campaign between December 20 and January 5 to call attention to Wiki Culture and Educate people on how to use Wiki right. We would love to have a one-time giveaway of the stationery box that has the Wikipedia logo all over to encourage others to join us in the 10 days edit starting Jan 5 and ending Jan 15 to celebrate Wiki 20. Alongside we would love to customize Wiki T-shirts for the founding team and customized stationery to accompany us during and even after the Wiki event.
- How will you keep participants engaged after the event is over? How will you be sharing photos, videos, or other content from your activities after they are completed?
- After the event we will be managing to keep the social media accounts we started during the events active with new participants joining our community and sharing our own progress and moments about what we are doing to support Wikipedia goals. Also we will manage to create content and giveaways to encourage all new participants to join us.
- Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- No because of Corona cases in Lebanon are high.
- Please confirm below that you have listed your event on the WP20 page on Meta-wiki.
- Our title is Wiki Lebanon on the Rise Inititiative
- Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This is gonna be our first event and we intent to make it the launching of a community in Lebanon that never took place before. This will not be the only event, we aim at creating our own and collaborating with other.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of total participants: 50
- Number of new participants: 20
- Number of people who will help organize the event: 5
- Number of articles created or improved (if applicable): We will create new articles.
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (if applicable):
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable):
If you are organizing a meetup or event without any contributions to celebrate Wikipedia 20, we request that you ask participants to complete a brief survey to understand their experience and impact of your event. This survey will not request any personally identifying information. Will you be able to collect this information either during or after your event? (If you are not doing this kind of event, please write N/A or leave the section below blank)
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Currently, we are a group of 4 new Wikipedians. We are planning to start a Social Media Awareness Campaign on the event with instant giveaway gifts to inspire others to join us on our 10 days hackathon. We have no funding or support from any organization.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Expert Wikipedians to help us organize
- T-shirts and Stationary tools for the founders
- Book collection as a startup giveaway
- Social Media budget for promoting the event from the beginning till the end
Endorsements are not needed for events related to Wikipedia 20. Community members are welcome to provide feedback or questions on the talk page.