Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikimedia Ghana User Group / Post-WMCon 17 Meeting
The meeting has two key goals
- To let community members who attended Wikimedia Conference 2017 in Berlin, share the key things learned with the members that did not get the opportunity to attend WMCON.
- To train influencers to take the promotion of Wikimedia beyond Accra to the other 9 regions of Ghana where Wikimedia is underrepresented.
- What is the purpose of the meeting and why is it important to your community?
– The meeting wants community members who attended Wikimedia Conference 2017 in Berlin, to share the key things they learned with the members that did not get the opportunity to attend WMCON.
It is important because it's difficult engaging the community via our mailing list and other electronic means alone. So the group wants to do this learning and sharing in person.
We were lucky to have members of the user group in all the three tracks – Movement Strategy Track (the grant if approved may fall within cycle 3 of the Movement Strategy Track discussions), Movement Partnerships Track, Capacity Building & Learning Track.
– Secondly, it is to train influencers to take the promotion of Wikimedia beyond Accra to the other 9 regions of Ghana where Wikimedia is greatly underrepresented.
About 99% of our Wikimedia activities have been organized by Wikimedians based in the city of Accra, for participants in Accra. However, there are at least 10 other cities with internet penetration that can produce new communities for the user group and Wikimedia.
Some keen members have shown an interest in building capacity to take back to their under-represented communities. The group wants to help these individuals meet their aspirations of starting Wikimedia projects outside Accra on behalf of the user group.
- If applicable, what benefits have you seen from doing this kind of meeting in the past? We have not held a post WMCon meeting before.
- How will you let participants know about the meeting? We have already made them aware. Please check their endorsements.
- How will you keep participants engaged after the meeting is over? Participants are already engaged and active. It's a meeting targeting existing community members with some understanding of how the movement works already.
Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project? For now, no.
|Introduction||11.00am – 11.10am|
|Movement Strategy Track Presentation||11.10am – 11.40am|
|Capacity Building & Learning Track||11.40am – 12.40pm|
|Coffee Break||12.40pm – 1.20pm|
|Movement Partnerships Track Presentation||1.20pm – 1.50pm|
|Closing remarks||1.50pm – 2.10pm|
|Lunch / Departure / Distribution of souvenirs from WMCON||2.10pm –|
17 existing editors will be attending
5 will be arriving from other cities – they will be responsible for holding the user group's group's first Wikipedia workshop in Kumasi and in Tamale upon their return to their cities. Their future event will target at least 10 attendees each and if successful recruit 10 new editors. This is to start the execution of our second aim/goal of holding this event, as stated above. They will confirm their participation in their endorsements.
The USD – GHS exchange rate will be set at ¢4.1 = $1 for now.
|Item||Unit cost ¢||Total cost ¢||Amount in USD|
|Venue||80 per hour||80 x 3 hours = 240||58.5|
|Transport for participants arriving from other cities||See table below||1520||370.7|
|Transport for volunteers||100||100 x 3 = 300||73.17|
|Food and drinkables||21 (coffee break) + 21 (lunch) = 42||42 x 17 (participants) = 714||174.14|
|Disposable packs, cutlery, napkins||N/A||100||24.4|
|Internet for 17 participants, presentations and social media
(3 Mi-fi devices have already been acquired in an earlier grant.
Only data costs needed)
|40||40x3 devices = 120||29.27|
|Name||City||Transport Fares To and From Accra ¢|
|Usman Ibrahim Khalilulahi||Kumasi||300|
By Resource persons
- This is certainly an opportunity to share with the community discussions and learnings from the Wikimedia Conference. I wholly endorse this grant and hope to see it happen! Flixtey (talk) 10:21, 8 June 2017 (UTC)
- I believe this is a great opportunity to be able to share what I learnt through the Capacity Building track at the conference with my other colleagues. Owula kpakpo 6:21, 1 June 2017 (UTC)
- I endorse the meeting. I am looking forward to helping Elizabeth, Jaward and co start communities outside Accra and also bring the participants group up to speed on the movement strategy discussions from both Berlin and the ongoing cycles of which I am a discussion coordinator. Sandiooses (talk) 12:56, 5 June 2017 (UTC)
By Influencers Kumasi
- After this workshop. We the Kumasi team will organise our first workshop. I can't wait to attend this event to learn more. Noahalorwu (talk) 11:37, 2 June 2017 (UTC)
- I endorse the meeting. Because it will give we the participants a first hand information on the Berlin Conference. Also, we'll be trained and oriented on the latest development in Wikipedia this i believe will go alongway to help we from the other regions so that we'll be effectively active.
And also we the Kumasi team upon our arrival will organise our first workshop to engage those intrested in Wikipedia and sign them up . Usman Ibrahim Khalilulahi 11:25, 5 June 2017. (UTC)
- I am happy to say that I am a product of Wikipedia section at an event years back in Kumasi which was awesome so I also endorse physical event other than online because it help in recruitment and effective meeting as far as we were in Ghana where internet access is less effective and very expensive.
By Influencers Northern Region
- —M@sssly✉ 11:54, 27 May 2017 (UTC)
- This will be a great opportunity to get the Northern Region involved in the movement. I will start and maintain a vibrant community in Tamale after the meeting.