Grants:Simple/Applications/Wikimedians of Republic of Srpska/2017-2018
- 1 Application
- 2 Midpoint report
- 3 Final report
These two requests are required of first-time applicants. In future years, you can use reports to substitute for these requirements.
- Link to one program story that showcases your organization's achievements in the past year.
- Link to one learning story you have created or contributed to, that demonstrates how your organization documents and applies learning.
Link to these documents only if you have them.
- Link to your organization's staffing plan. This organization is not requesting staff.
- Link to your annual plan. Wikimedia Community of Republic of Srpska/Annual plan, google drive
- Link to your strategic plan. Wikimedia Community of Republic of Srpska/Strategic plan 2017-2019, google drive
Please add your global metrics to this sheet. Contact APG staff if you need access. Please visit this worksheet to add your global metrics targets and progress.
This organization is not requesting staff.
Budget and resource plan
Link to a detailed budget (that also includes a plan for raising the resources you need). Wikimedia Community of Republic of Srpska/Budget plan, google drive
This is a brief report on the grantee's progress during the midpoint reporting period: 1 July - 31 December 2017.
Please link to one program story that showcases your organization's achievements during the reporting period.
- Here is the text you may use to add a story or link!
Please add text or a link to a page with details on your program progress. This should including reporting against each of the SMART objectives from your proposal.
Please report your organization's total spending during the reporting period, or link to a financial document showing your total spending. EUR 4922,46 ($ 5928.61)
- Here is where your spending notes/explanations are.
This is the final report for your grant, describing your outcomes from the period 1 January - 30 June 2018.
Please link to one program story that showcases your organization's achievements during the reporting period.
- The most innovative projects and activities of Wikimedia Community of the Republic of Srpska in 2018 was the following:
During the indicated period, at the beginning of March in the Republic of Srpska, within the Wikimedia community of the Republic of Srpska, the first Gender Gap program was launched for women, called Wiki Women in Republic of Srpska. The project included the implementation of 5 editing workshops, one editing marathon and one photo with a permanent group of 15 participants. The realization of the project went in the best possible order and the results exceeded our expectations. The response was satisfactory, and the participants were very motivated to work. With great enthusiasm each activity was accepted. In addition, out of the planned 90 articles, 110 new articles were created during the duration of the project.
Please link to one learning story that shows how your organization documents lessons learned and adapts its programs accordingly.
- In the sphere of the GLAM program of the Wikimedia Community of the Republic of Srpska, during the designated period, a large project called Wiki Librarian in Republic of Srpska was implemented, which included the training of librarians for work on Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons. The project covered 50 libraries from the territory of the Republic of Srpska, and project activities were implemented in 5 cities - regional centers of Republic Srpska. Although at first it seemed necessary to have a great deal of courage to start this project because of its size and small budget, it turned out that the community's assessments were good and that everything played out in accordance with community plan. As well as for the Wikimedia Movement itself, libraries are attractive partners for our community also. Experience has shown that most of the editors who continue to edit Wikipedia and who are active after the training are those employed by the libraries. Therefore, it was very important for us to include this target group into work and cooperation. It turns out we did not make a mistake. Working on this project was a real pleasure!
Please add text or a link to a page with details on your program results. You should report on each of the objectives you included in your Simple APG application.
At the beginning of 2018, the community realized planned activities in the field of education program. In line with its strategic goals, the emphasis was on extending the program in terms of involving as many institutions as possible in the cooperation, expanding the territorial scope of activities and building the reputation of the community through cooperation with eminent state educational institutions.
The community has managed to achieve the set goals and in 2017/2018 establish cooperation with 6 state faculties, one gymnasium and one elementary school. A total of 8 editing workshops were held, within which students and professors were introduced to Wikimedia projects, Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons. A total of 78 students, 54 men and 33 women, took part in the activities. A total of 86 new and extended 27 articles were created.
At the beginning of 2018, the remaining 6 editing workshops were realized within the planned activities of the Edu program started at the end of 2017. Activities were realized in cooperation with 6 educational institutions from different fields of functioning: Faculty of Production and Management Trebinje, Faculty of Economics Pale, Faculty of Political Sciences Banja Luka, Faculty of Law Pale, High School Center January 27 Rogatica and “Vuk Karadžić” Elementary School in Višegrad.
- Editing workshop - Edu Wiki, Faculty of Production and Management Trebinje
- On March 5, 2018, in Trebinje, an editing workshop was held at the Faculty of Production and Management of the University of East Sarajevo in which students met with Wikimedia and its projects, Wikipedia and work on Wikipedia. On that occasion, the majority of students created their first articles, who previously had no experience in editing. In addition to students, the workshop was attended by several faculty professors, as well as several professors from the Gymnasium in Trebinje. During the workshop, 10 new members created 12 new articles and one was added. The number of male and female participants was in equilibrium 5 - 5. The event has sparked a great deal of media attention in Herzegovina. In addition, a special satisfaction was brought by the faculty dean's proposal to sign a cooperation agreement with our community.
- Editing Workshop - Edu Wiki, Faculty of Economics, University of East Sarajevo
- An editing workshop was held on 19 March at the Faculty of Economics at the University of East Sarajevo. In accordance with the plan, students were introduced to the basics of editing Wikipedia, as well as other Wikimedia projects. The workshop was attended by 11 participants, 2 women and 9 men. Created 10 new and updated one article. Less general topics in the field of economics were processed, in accordance with the curriculum of the given faculty.
- Editing workshop - Edu Wiki, Public Institution Elementary School "Vuk Karadžić", Višegrad
- In accordance with the strategic plan of the community on maintaining cooperation with existing partners, for the fourth time since the start of the educational program in the Republic of Srpska, the community implemented the activity in cooperation with “Vuk Karadžić” Elementary School in Višegrad. This was the first editing workshop held in this institution which was of international character. In addition to the Elementary School “Vuk Karadžić”, the partner was the Wikimedia User Group from Macedonia - GLAM Macedonia.
- The contents of both participants were in correlation with the curriculum that students attend in their own school and in their own country. Students of the Elementary school Vuk Karadžić created content on Wikipedia in Serbian language by translating from Wikipedia in Macedonian language. In addition to translating and applying the basics of editing Wikipedia, the students encountered somewhat more complicated templates - info boxes, tables, and so on. With professional help, they managed to get the job done while solving this task because it was an intellectual challenge for them. Also, cooperation with peers from other country had a very positive effect on them.
- At the same time, a similar situation took place in Skopje, at the Museum of Macedonian struggle, students - members of the Wiki club GLAM Macedonia created Macedonian language content from the content taken from the Serbian Wikipedia. The themes were in line with the age and interests of the students.
- During this workshop, 18 new articles were created on Wikipedia in Serbian language and 9 articles on Macedonian Wikipedia. 11 pupils from the Elementary School Vuk Karadžić took part in the workshop - 8 girls and 3 boys.
- Editing workshop - Edu Wiki, Public Institution High School Center "27th January" Rogatica
- On March 30, 2018, in Rogatica, in cooperation with the High School Center "27th January" held another editing workshop. Participants were students from different schools of this center, primarily from gymnasiums, and economic school. On that occasion, 14 new articles were created by 12 participants - 8 female and 4 male. In addition to getting to know the basics of Wikipedia work through the creation of articles, students were also introduced with Wikipedia's sister projects. In addition to the fact that at the time of the realization of the mentioned workshops, the students were practically already on the spring break (Friday, afternoon hours), the students showed interest in the work.
- Editing workshop - Edu Wiki, Faculty of Political Science in Banja Luka, Banja Luka
- On 12th April 2018, an editing workshop was held in Banja Luka, at the Faculty of Political Sciences of the University of Banja Luka in which students from this faculty took part. On this occasion, the students were introduced to Wikimedia projects, Wikipedia and the basics of editing Wikipedia. The workshop was thematically focused and its subject was less represented content from the field of politics and political sciences. The workshop numbered 7 student participants and 6 new articles. Although the results of metrics this time were not fully met, this workshop was very significant for the community because of the importance and reputation this particular institution enjoys in the country. Cooperation with this faculty represents a good reference for further work of the community in the edu sphere.
- Edu Wiki - Editing workshop at the Law Faculty of the University of East Sarajevo
- In Pale, on 20th April, 2018, another editing workshop was held at the Law Faculty of the University of East Sarajevo within the Edu Program of the Wikimedia Community of Republic of Srpska. On this occasion, through the introduction to the basics of work on Wikipedia, content was created in Serbian Wikipedia by students of this faculty. A total of 9 new articles was created by 6 participants.
|Edit-a-thons and workshops||Cooperate with the 5 educational institutions||During the indicated period, cooperation was established with eight educational institutions.|
|Organize 8 workshops||According to the plan, eight editing workshops were held.|
|90 students participating||Within eight editing workshops, 78 students took part.|
|Activities will be realized on the territory of at least 4 regions inside Republic of Srpska||Eight editing workshops were realized in the territory of 4 regions inside Republic of Srpska.|
|At least 8 professors will be included in cooperation on educational activities||In total, eight associate professors participated in the activities and provided assistance in the organization of workshops.|
|150 new or edited articles||A total of 86 new and extended 27 articles were created.|
|100 photo upolad on Wikimedia Commons||181 photos were uploaded to Wikimedia Commons, created during the implementation of these activities.|
In the sphere of the GLAM program of the Wikimedia Community of the Republic of Srpska, during the designated period, a large project called Wiki Librarian in Republic of Srpska was implemented, which included the training of librarians for work on Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons. The project covered 50 libraries from the territory of the Republic of Srpska, and project activities were implemented in 5 cities - regional centers of Republika Srpska. Working on this project was a real pleasure.
Project realization included three phases: preparatory, practical implementation of the project and evaluation of project activities. During the preparatory phase, the central libraries that are located in the regional centers were contacted and the cooperation was agreed. Central libraries then formed groups of librarians from employees of smaller libraries under their jurisdiction, who were interested in training. The response was satisfactory and in line with our plan and assessment. Libraries in question have met all of our needs. The dates and plan of workshop realization was agreed. The realization of project activities was carried out without problems and in accordance with the plan. There was great interest, and the librarians were very motivated to work. In a very pleasant atmosphere, 5 editing workshops were implemented in the premises of the central libraries within a time limit of one month! This was a particular challenge for us, and afterwards a special kind of satisfaction - it turned out that the community had made enough progress in acquiring the necessary knowledge and skills needed for the implementation of such projects in such a short time limit and with such a small budget.
- Workshop within WikiLibrarian in Republic of Srpska project, Central Library of East Sarajevo
- On March 1, 2018, East Sarajevo hosted the first editing workshop for librarians from the Republic of Srpska. The workshop was realized in cooperation with the Central Library of East Sarajevo, with which our community had previous and fruitful cooperation. On that occasion, 8 new and 3 expanded articles were created by 11 participants - librarians who were representatives of regional libraries. Through practical work, the participants were introduced to the basics of work on Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons. In addition, in the introductory part they are introduced with the Wikimedia Movement and its goals, as well as with other Wikimedia projects. In terms of gender structure, there were no major differences - the participation encompassed 6 female editors and 5 male editors.
- WikiLibrarian in Republic of Srpska - Workshop in National Library of Trebinje
- The second editing workshop was held on March 11, 2018 in Trebinje, regional and cultural center of Herzegovina region. On that occasion, cooperation with the National Library of Trebinje was established and a workshop was held in the premises of this library. In accordance with the plan, a group of 10 interested librarians were trained to work on Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons. On that occasion, 9 new articles were created and one article was added by 10 participants - 4 female and 6 male.
- WikiLibrarian in Republic of Srpska - Workshop in National Library of Zvornik
- In Zvornik, a larger town of the Sarajevo-Zvornik region, the third editing workshop was held on March 17, 2018. In the workshop, 9 librarians took part - representatives of regional libraries, who created 9 new articles during the training. The activity was realized in cooperation with the National Library of Zvornik.
- WikiLi brarian in Republic of Srpska - Workshop in Serbian Central Library “Prosvjeta” Foča
- In cooperation with the Serbian Central Library "Prosvjeta" in Foča, the fourth editing workshop was held on April 2nd, 2018. On that occasion, 9 librarians were trained and 9 new articles were created and the participants were introduced to the basics of Wikipedia and the Wikimedia Commons. The introductory part of the lecture was attended by the representatives of the Museum of Old Herzegovina from Foča who were interested in more information and cooperation with us. After the workshop, a meeting was held with them and a future cooperation was agreed.
- Wiki Librarian in Republic of Srpska - Workshop in National and University Library of the Republic Srpska
- In the capital and regional center of the Banja Luka region - Banja Luka, on April 4th, the fifth and final in a series of planned workshops was held. The activity was realized in cooperation with the National and University Library of the Republic of Srpska. 11 librarians - representatives of regional libraries have participated in the training. During this workshop 8 new articles were created 2 articles were updated. Regarding the gender structure, 6 female and 5 male editors participated in the workshop.
The project has caused great interest of the media. 20 articles were published in the written media, 4 guest appearances were made in various TV shows of national and commercial television and 3 interviews for radio shows. Our organizing team regularly reported the public through the site, blogs and social networks.
|Edit-a-thons and workshops||4 new GLAM institutions (libraries) involved in cooperation||During the indicated period, cooperation was established with 4 new GLAM institutions (libraries).|
|8 new partners from libraries||According to the plan, eight librarians are involved in cooperation.|
|Number of new or edited articles: 50||A total of 49 articles have been created.|
|30 new users||There are 50 new users involved.|
|Geographical coverage - 5 cities within Republic of Srpska||Activities were implemented in 5 towns in the Republic of Srpska.|
|25 media announcements||The project was promoted through 27 media announcements.|
|50 participants||50 librarians took part in the project.|
|200 photographs||200 photos were uploaded to Wikimedia Commons, created during the implementation of these activities.|
|100 new followers on social networks||96 new social networkers.|
In order to strengthen relations within the community in January, an annual conference was held for the Wikipedia and the Wikipedians from the Republic of Srpska. The conference was a one-day event, though it was closely related to the celebration of the Wikipedia birthday, which resulted in two-day activities dedicated to Wikipedia and Wikimedia.
The activities were realized on January 15 and 16 in East Sarajevo. Activities were divided into two days - Wikipedia Day - Day A and Conference Day.
- Wikipedia Day
- For the third year in a row, Wkipedia's birthday is organized and symbolically celebrated by the Wikimedia community of the Republic of Srpska. This time, the celebration was also part of the pre-conference activities and part of the guests participated in the activities that were organized both days. These were more experienced members of Wikipedia and Wikimedia Community of the Republic of Srpska - and also more active members. The birthday party was attended by 25 people, counting community representatives and lecturers. In the evening, a program dedicated to Wikipedia was presented, within which the history, facts, statistics and the like were presented. Also, the process of creating an account and one article was demonstrated. After the lecture, everyone had the opportunity to create a user account in Wikipedia. After the lecture, a formal cocktail was held, during which participants, after the symbolic blowing of candles on a birthday cake, talked and exchanged ideas in a somewhat relaxed atmosphere. The participants were very motivated and interested in the discussions. In addition to the custom promotional material, our team's representatives were available to participants during the evening for answering questions related to Wikimedia, Wikimedia movements and Wikipedia.
- After the celebration of the Wikipedian birthday, a one day conference was held on the second day. The conference was attended by 25 participants from various fields - from experienced Wikipedians to GLAM and Edu institution representatives who were for the first time introduced to Wiki subjects. Having in mind this possibility, we deliberately left room for registration of participants who did not have experience, but are attractive partners for us. In connection with this, when planning and preparing the conference and creating the program itself, we took care to adapt the lectures to such a heterogeneous group of participants. Also, two months before the conference, we publicly invited, in addition to members of our community, users of the neighborhood Wikipedias - Serbia, the Federation of BiH and Croatia. We've placed the invitations on the pumps of their native Wikipedia. Thanks to that, we had one representative from Serbia who, in addition to participating in conference activities in the guest status, was also a guest lecturer. Person in question is an experienced Wikipedian who independently realized several projects for Wikipedia in Serbian, under the auspices of the Wikimedia Serbia. In connection with this, during the conference day he presented some of the statistics related to Wikipedia and demonstrated the creation of a user account and the creation of a high-quality article on Wikipedia.
- Bearing in mind the structure of the participants in the conference, we tried to adapt the program to the degree of their experience and the interests of individuals. We created the program accordingly - anyone could find an area of special interest. The program was structured to include all important segments of the VM movement's functioning - from basic introduction to the Wikimedia movement and organization to the CC license.
- The set goals were achieved and the conference was realized in accordance with the plan. With the representatives of the GLAM and Edu institutions, the cooperation has been agreed, part of which was already realized within our Wiki Librarian project, which was realized in March. In addition to gaining new members and potential partners, thanks to this conference, the community itself has become stronger in terms of interactions and relationships among community members who have been working online for three years, mostly without a live contact, which is very important for building mutual trust and community capacity.
We would specifically like to point out the tragic anecdote that we want to share with others, because we think it can happen to anyone. Three days before the conference, there was an explosion in a hotel where all the activities were to be realized. The hotel was ruined at that time and it was impossible for any of the planned activities to be realized in it. Since only two days were left until the conference (bad luck within bad luck was the fact it was the weekend), the only logical solution was to cancel the conference. Since we did not want to postpone the activity and cause damage to the reputation of the community, we made superhuman efforts to find another hotel of approximate category in two days, during the holidays and the tourist season, and hold a planned conference in it. It was very hard and stressful, but we eventually succeeded. The participants were informed about the accident and the change of location via the site, social networks and individual e-mails. They had understanding. We have learned from these things that no matter how good we plan and do our best to keep everything in line - we must always have a plan B.
|Annual conference - Measures of success||35 participants||A total of 35 participants.|
|15 media announcements||
A total of 17 media posts.
|>5 new community members||8 members joined the community|
|50-100 Facebook followers/page likes||74 Facebook followers/page likes|
|at least 2 new collaborations with teachers/students||Agreed cooperation with 5 students and one professor.|
|at least 4 new collaborations between volunteers;||4 new collaborations between volunteers.|
|>6 new users will become active members in next 3 months (active member is a member who will be active on some offline activities, who will leading online projects or will be an active editor on a Wiki project||5 new users continued work.|
Competitions - Meet Srpska
In the first half of 2018, the last activity within the project Meet Srpska - photo-tour in the territory of Bijeljina - was realized. The realization of the activity was in the best order. Volunteers from the territory of Semberija visited and photographed famous localities in Bijeljina and the surroundings of Bijeljina. On that occasion, they collected 202 photographs of natural and cultural goods that were uploaded to the Wikimedia Commons.
|Competitions - Meet Srpska||10 new users||10 new accounts.|
|3 new community members||3 new members joined the work of the community|
|2 partners involved in activities (organizations or institutions)||Main Library of East Sarajevo, Portal Serbs in Bosnia and Herzegovina|
|200 articles will be written or improved||255 - 243 articles created and supplemented within the competition itself, 12 articles created and updated during the workshop.|
|200 photos||202 photographs were uploaded.|
|15 media releases||Total of 15 media posts in 2017. More is expected, related to the photo-tour, in 2018.|
|50 new followers on social networks||60 new followers on social|
|<40 participants||A total of 35 participants took part in activities during 2017|
Gender gap - Wiki Women
During the indicated period, at the beginning of March in the Republic of Srpska, within the Wikimedia Community of the Republic of Srpska, the first Gender Gap program was launched for women, called Wiki Women in Republic of Srpska. The project included the implementation of 5 editing workshops, one editing marathon and one photo-tour with a permanent group of 15 participants. The realization of the project went in the best possible order and the results exceeded our expectations. The response was satisfactory, and the participants were very motivated to work. With great enthusiasm each activity was accepted. In addition, out of the planned 90 articles, 110 new articles were created during the duration of the project.
- In Višegrad, during March of the current year, 5 editing workshops were held in which the pre-formed group of women's editors of Wikipedia took part. Editors did not have previous experience in editing Wikipedia, so the first two workshops had the character of training. The first articles were created through familiarization with the basics, while on the other they were involved in advanced editing techniques - templates, info boxes, illustration articles, and the like. The participants showed great interest and quickly mastered the prepared content. After that, they independently created the contents in Serbian Wikipedia, with the assistance of our lecturers.
- During the realization of the workshop, 82 articles were created. The subjects that were subjected to processing were from areas that are less represented on Wikipedia, such as biographies of well-known women, and the like.
- After the training and a series of editing workshops, a one-day editing marathon was organized in the framework of which participants competed with each other in the creation of articles on Wikipedia in Serbian. For the three best competitors chosen by the jury after the end of the marathon, symbolic prizes were provided. During the marathon, 28 articles were created in various less represented areas.
- The last in a series of activities was the photo-tour and training for photograph upload to Wikimedia Commons. 20 participants took part in the photo tours - a permanent group of participants was joined by the representatives of the local photo club. It was a one-day activity, and on that occasion, photographs of less known, and historically significant places from the territory of the municipality of Višegrad (Jewish cemetery, house of Ivo Andric and similar) were collected. A total of 244 photographs were uploaded to the Wikimedia Commons during the photo tours, while 392 photographs were placed on the Wikimedia Commons for the duration of the entire project.
The project has sparked a great deal of attention from the public and the media, both local and state-level. Partners on the project were two very important local women's organizations Association of women afflicted and treated for breast cancer "Aska" - Višegrad and Association of Business Women 16 - Višegrad. Also, the support to the project was provided by the City Gallery Višegrad through the participation of their photo-club Višegrad in the photo-tour.
|Wiki Women in Republic of Srpska||At least 15 participants||In total 20 participants.|
|15 new female participants||15 new female participants.|
|90 new articles||110 new articles.|
|200 photographs uploaded on Wikimedia Commons||392 photographs were placed on the Wikimedia Commons for the duration of the entire project.|
|8 media announcements||In total 15 media announcements.|
|at least 2 partner women organizations||Association of women afflicted and treated for breast cancer "Aska" - Višegrad and Association of Business Women 16 - Višegrad.|
Presentation of the Wikimedia projects
In Višegrad, on 17th April 2018, the Wikimedia community took part in another public event - a presentation of the Wikimedia projects was held as part of the open meetings of the municipal committee of SPKD "Prosvjeta". On that occasion, about 40 participants had the opportunity to get to know more about the Wikimedia Movement and the Wikimedia goals through the lecture of our representative. Also, on this occasion, Edu and GLAM programs were presented, which aroused the special interest of the participants in accordance with the structure of the group, which was mainly composed from teachers, librarians and artists. The event was organized by SPKD Prosvjeta Višegrad, with which cooperation was established on that occasion. The participants showed great interest in future potential cooperation, which we plan to use in the implementation of future projects.
Media and reporting
During the designated period, during the project implementation, the community regularly notified the public about their activities through communication with the media through the site, the blog, mailing lists and social networks. Within the specified timeframe, community activities were promoted through 156 media posts (electronic and print media, radio and TV shows). Each activity has sparked public and media attention, which is a sign that the Community has succeeded in building a proper reputation in the country in three years of operation and secured its place on the media scene
|Public activities||participation in at least 2 public event||Trebinje Cultural Summer - An exhibition of winning photographs of the photo contest "Trace of Soul" from 2015 and 2016 was realized and presentation of the Wikimedia projects was held as part of the open meetings of the municipal committee of SPKD "Prosvjeta".|
|2 new partnerships||2 new partnerships.|
|100 media announcements.||During the indicated period related to the implementation of activities approved by the APG grant, the community had 156 appearances in the media.|
In order to maintain positive relationships in the community, in addition to regular online meetings held during micro-planning and project realization, 5 local live meetings were held.
Meetings were held in 5 cities in the Republic of Srpska with local Wikimedians and Wikipedians who are active members of the community. The topics of the meetings were focused on plans to improve community work, exchange ideas related to new projects and their implementation.
Please link to a detailed financial report for your spending during the grant period. This should be in the same format as your detailed budget from your Simple APG application.
Please include the total amount of Simple APG funds you spent during the grant period.
- 10,506.00 EUR