Jump to navigation Jump to search
Welcome back from Wikimania 2016!
- Option 1: Shared Experience: What is one way you shared something from your experience with your community (either locally or globally), after the event?
- It was my third Wikimania and it was a very good chance to meet people who we deal with them without see each other and change different and new ideas which make some Initiatives come later. I have wrote a blog post about my personal experience in Wikimania Mexico City 2015.
- Also, I have created Wikimania's 2016 result and report on Arabic Wikipedia to share this experience with the Arabic community.
- Option 3: New Creation: What was one useful outcome that was created at the event for the Wikimedia movement?
- New projects and collaborative came from my meetings with community members and WMF staff in Wikimania 2015:
- We agreed on starting the third conference of Arab World, WikiArabia, in Egypt next year.
- Completing the WikiWomen project contest for the third and fourth round in the Arab World, which was suggested during Wikimania Mexico City 2015. Its page on Arabic Wikipedia. This contest is supported by a grant by the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Being in the arbitrary panel of Wiki Loves Earth Tunisia (Regional jury).
- I had a good opportunity to meet people from Wikimedia Foundation and Wikimedia Spain, Mexico, Ukraine, Armenia, Germany, Sweden, Italy, Ireland, USA, Nebal, Ghana UG, Levant UG, Argelia UG, Tunisia UG and other wikipedians from all over the world. we talked about the movement of Arabic Wikipedia and its role in Arabic community, how WEP is involved on it and has a great influence in its development and we can convince teachers to use Wikipedia as a teaching tool. Also, I, from Egypt, with María Montserrat Sàez Matalí and Luis Ulzurrun from Wikimedia Spain, talked about the contests of editing for many Wikipedias such as Arabic and Spanish (Here and here for example) and improving this contests for Africa and Wiki loves women there with Florence devouard. These projects depend on linking and translation articles from many Wikipedias and vice versa. We are still preparing for this initiative. In this case, we will use the translation tool to be an active method in translation from Spanish and English to Arabic and vice versa. In Wikimania, I exchanged ideas and tutoriales about Arabic Wikipedia, Egypt Wikimedians and WEP in different languages and I show them my brochure of Editing Wikipedia in arabic and Arabic Brochure of the rules of Arabic Wikipedia. I attended the WikiArabia meetup, education and Wikiwomen meetup to discuss more issues related to Arabic Wikipedia, WEP and the movement of women at Wikimedia projests. Grupo photo of WikiArabia meetup is here; Grupo photo of Wikiwomen meetup is here; Grupo photo of education meetup is here; Grupo photo of the conference here.
- After Wikimania, I accept the 100 wikidays challenge, and will begin writing a new article every day in the next few days to share it with my friends on Facebook and encourage my students to participate in this challenge.
- I asked for a table for Egypt Wikimedians user group at the Community Village and I co-presented and co-organized with my Wikimeidan colleague Reem Al-Kashif. This table helped developing our activities and getting more people interested in collaborations. Photo here.
- I already have uploaded more than 240 photos.
- I participated in the two Learning Days.
- Also, I'm planning to attend Wikimania every year, I'm so sad for no being able to have the opportunity to attend every year. My first year, I attended as an attendee and I asked for presentation, but wasn't accepted. Last year, I were involved in this prsentation about Pitfalls, Protocols and Prior Planning: a Panel on Making the Most of the Education Program. For this year, I asked for a presentation, but wasn't accepted. I was happy to see some people for the first time and to meet people I usually contact on the internet, I had a good chance to talk to Jimmy Wales and take a personal photo with him. I did more than 3 interviews about WEP on Egypt, the movement of Arabic Wikipedia, Wikimedia brand and state of Wikipedia from my point of view. One of them is here.