Grants:TPS/Hindustanilanguage/First International Conference on Transformative Education Research and Sustainable Development
This Wikimedia Participation Support request was funded in the fiscal year 2014-15. A report is available.
I am Wikimedian since 2011 and have contributed to Wikimedia projects in various languages besides active participation in outreach events and Wikipedia Education Programmes. In particular, I actively participated in the first phase of Christ University Wikipedia Education Programme in Bangalore, India (2013-14) (see my blogpost). I strongly believe that this Wikipedia Education Programme can be extended to other Universities around the world and is a significant reflection of emerging trends in Transformative Education across the globe. It is in this context I have presented an abstract for the First International Conference on Transformative Education Research and Sustainable Development at the Kathmandu University. I happy that my abstract entitled Wikipedia Education Programme at Christ University as an Agent of Educational Transformation has been accepted.
Goal and expected impact
My participation at the First International Conference on Transformative Education Research and Sustainable Development will help in representing the global Wikimedia movement at a conference co-organized by ‘’’Kathmandu University, School of Education (KUSOED)‘’’, Nepal, in collaboration with ‘’’Murdoch University‘’’, School of Education, Australia and ‘’’UNESCO Office‘’’ in Kathmandu. I wish to accomplish the following goals if I am given this opportunity to attend this event:
- Discuss my experience as an active participant of Wikipedia Education Programme (Christ University).
- Explore the possible replication opportunities at Kathmandu University and educational institutions in Nepal.
- I will get the opportunity of meeting with academicians around the world and discussing new ways of enlisting new editors of Wikipedia.
- Get valuable insights and inputs on educational technologies which will help me in creating valuable articles in the area of education in Indian languages. I have earlier enthusiastically worked on various thematic articles. As an example, I have created or expanded 300+ articles during the Monuments of Spain Editathon, making me the third highest contributor to the event around the world.
- Travel (round trip airfare from Hyderabad to Kathmandu - two flights each to and fro): USD ~ 630
- Registration Fee Payment = USD ~ 160 (10000 SAARC member participant local currency - in this case Indian Rupees)
- Accommodation: USD 90 per night x 4 nights = USD ~ 360
- Food (6 Meals) = USD ~ 150 (excluding lunch provided during the conference)
- Local Transport = USD ~ 360
- I have no problem if WMF can choose the best flights and accommodation for me. The conference organizers have specifically listed hotels here as they are in close proximity and will require less travel time and effort during the conference.
- I will appreciate if the registration amount equivalent to approximately 10000 Indian Rupees is advanced to me. I will have to then send to the amount to the organizers through the SWIFT payment.